Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CX Bike around £1000

Hey,

Looking for a cyclocross bike around £1000. I will probably use it occasionally as a winter bike but it really needs to be race ready too so ideally will have a cx specific chainset.

Options so far are CAADX 105 (bad brakes?), Rose DX pro and current favourite Whyte Saxon Cross 2013. Anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers,
J

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Jon Burrage | 9 years ago
0 likes

Brand new 2015 Felt F85X...seriously, unbeatable value.

jaredholdcroft | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end I ignored everybody and bought a Genesis Vapour Disc (2014).

It's possible there is a little bit of style over spec but apart from looking great it just felt perfect when I sat on it.

Now just need to get it muddy.

southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you do a quick comparison between the CAAD X 105 and Ultegra the main difference is, obviously, the groupset. The important factor is it's the same frame and forks (even the rims are the same) you can upgrade around that as and when. 105 is still a good groupset.

Cheers

bendertherobot | 9 years ago
0 likes

If you need mudguards the Planet X is out

jaredholdcroft | 9 years ago
0 likes

So are the Planet X carbon frames on their £1k bikes any good? I've seen a couple of the lower end road bikes and the carbon looks a bit nasty.

Wondering if it they are any better than a really good ali frame?

southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's a bit more than £1000, but I used a 10% off offer from a LBS to buy the CAADX Ultegra for £1350. I can highly recommend that for off road and if you swap over to road tyres it still holds it's own.

jaredholdcroft replied to southseabythesea | 9 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, that would nice but I have a hard limit of £1100. The 105 version looks really good but the brakes don't. I could replace them at some point though I guess.

cw42 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments