Home

I'm getting sick and tired of every reasonable debate seemingly turning into some sort of misogynistic parry of "oh, I was going to reply with something interesting but I've just realised you're that bird who likes to stick up for equal prize money - so I'm basically going to treat you with utter disdain because obviously, despite the fact that you ride for a successful women's domestic team and train for 16 hours a week and work in a highly technical role, your opinion on anything is definitely worth less than half of anything a male counterpart could come up with".

I don't mind putting up with the fact that there are a LOT of armchair pros on these forums (sorry, but we all know this is true) because it's the internet and people like to feel important. However, it seems like every 4 out of 5 in-depth threads seemingly get turned on their head by someone making the above assumption.

If one more idiot calls me "babe", "love", "sweetheart" or simply winks at my responses I will hunt them down like the rabid rats that they are.

There aren't many women on this forum, but of the ones that do use it frequently - they are knowledgeable, experienced and well known riders, and we shouldn't really have to put up with this. If it were once or twice then fine but it seems to be increasing exponentially at the moment and it's genuinely making use of this website unpleasant.

Rant over.

64 comments

Avatar
chrisp1973 [55 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I'm the first to admit I like a good forum debate (read fight) but I'm in complete agreement - gender has no bearing on a persons ability to contribute valid points to a discussion.

Anyone who uses gender as an offensive tool in an argument simply demonstrates a lack of intelligence and an unpleasant nature.

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Completely agree, it's just so disappointing isn't it!  2

Avatar
Miles253 [198 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I don't even consider whether someone is male or female when reading a comment, that is irrelevant to the information provided to me. People with sexist tendencies like that in the 21st century need to wake up. Good rant btw, I felt fired up too after reading it. Sort it out fellas.

Avatar
NickK123 [93 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I was very sorry to read this and hope that it strikes a nerve where appropriate, such that gender should not be a factor in discussion . Noting that female participation in cycling is growing exponentially, it would be a shame if this forum resembled a Victorian (gentle?) man's club and did not reflect the populace who enjoy road biking. It is great to see now females out on club group rides - a reflection of acknowledged expertise, enthusiasm and inclusion (even if they do leave me behind on some of the big hills!

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Kind comments! And so true. Thankfully these sorts of attitudes are few and far between, for the most part I think the community on roadcc is brilliant and engaging.

Hopefully these people will "get the hint" and either change their attitudes or keep that sort of thing to themselves, it really doesn't present a welcoming environment for any newbies, especially as a lot of those newcomers to the boards could well be female now that it's on the up here.  1

Avatar
allez neg [497 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Anyway, onto more serious business - should cycle helmets be compulsory for women?

 19

(Just joking)

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

Completely agree, it's just so disappointing isn't it!  2

Hi "babe"?

Go on, tell me how you are going to "hunt me down"....

Avatar
chiv30 [986 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Alright love calm down there was no need for this paragraph at all

"despite the fact that you ride for a successful women's domestic team and train for 16 hours a week and work in a highly technical role"

alot of people dont give a monkeys and perhaps this is why you get the comments you do , if you wish to race and ride great but tbh we dont care sweetheart.

On another note if you dont like using the website then dont , its like every other internet page or forum people make a choice if you choose to read something and you dont like it time and again then why come back?

in regards to the equal prize money (and this may cheer you up a bit) most people who ride/race/generally enjoy cycling and follow it believe that prize money should be equal or near enough equal as makes no difference.....

Anyway babe , lets turn that frown upside down  19

Avatar
notfastenough [3661 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Given the way that recent threads have gone, I knew as soon as I saw RANT ALERT in the sidebar, whose post it was going to be! I don't blame you either.

Oh, and don't bother feeding the troll, above. I'd pay good money to see Northstar (EDIT: and Chiv - god what a childish post) be so brave in person.

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

Get your wallet out : )

it doesn't take much to get a biter on here does it? *laughs*

Avatar
chiv30 [986 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Given the way that recent threads have gone, I knew as soon as I saw RANT ALERT in the sidebar, whose post it was going to be! I don't blame you either.

Oh, and don't bother feeding the troll, above. I'd pay good money to see Northstar (EDIT: and Chiv - god what a childish post) be so brave in person.

I have no issue telling people exactly what i think whether it on the internet or offline .... yes my post was trollish buit also had a point if you read through it.....

ie
its irrelevant whether someone rides for a team or not this rant was about how she was being treated on a forum , there was no need to bring her racing into it. The complaint was about a gender issue not a racing issue

also the calling of love babe etc was intending to provoke a reaction because some of her previous posts have been childish retorts to certain people within the forum as such a response that gave her exactly what she has given others was in my eyes only fair and at the same time a bit tongue in cheek ...

but hey if you take everything you read on the internet as gospel you go ahead and get that shiny armour on and ride in on your white charger to "defend her honour"  3

Avatar
fukawitribe [1430 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Get your wallet out : )

it doesn't take much to get a biter on here does it? *laughs*

Oh Christ, I thought the primary schools had gone back already....

Avatar
Him Up North [235 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

I'm getting sick and tired of every reasonable debate seemingly turning into some sort of misogynistic parry of "oh, I was going to reply with something interesting but I've just realised you're that bird who likes to stick up for equal prize money - so I'm basically going to treat you with utter disdain because obviously, despite the fact that you ride for a successful women's domestic team and train for 16 hours a week and work in a highly technical role, your opinion on anything is definitely worth less than half of anything a male counterpart could come up with".

I don't mind putting up with the fact that there are a LOT of armchair pros on these forums (sorry, but we all know this is true) because it's the internet and people like to feel important. However, it seems like every 4 out of 5 in-depth threads seemingly get turned on their head by someone making the above assumption.

If one more idiot calls me "babe", "love", "sweetheart" or simply winks at my responses I will hunt them down like the rabid rats that they are.

There aren't many women on this forum, but of the ones that do use it frequently - they are knowledgeable, experienced and well known riders, and we shouldn't really have to put up with this. If it were once or twice then fine but it seems to be increasing exponentially at the moment and it's genuinely making use of this website unpleasant.

Rant over.

You're a woman...?  13

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
northstar wrote:

Get your wallet out : )

it doesn't take much to get a biter on here does it? *laughs*

Oh Christ, I thought the primary schools had gone back already....

*laughing* Here's another admirer or fan club member of mine it seems...

*laughing at the irony of your post*

Avatar
stumps [3188 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I maybe wrong and no doubt people will tell me so but i think mooleur put the bit in about racing etc to let people know she does know a thing or two about bikes and racing and is not just making wild sweeping statements with no prior knowledge, which to be honest happens quite regularly on this forum.

If anyone is sad enough to pick faults purely because the poster is female then they can crawl back under the stone they came from.

Avatar
chiv30 [986 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I maybe wrong and no doubt people will tell me so but i think mooleur put the bit in about racing etc to let people know she does know a thing or two about bikes and racing and is not just making wild sweeping statements with no prior knowledge, which to be honest happens quite regularly on this forum.

If anyone is sad enough to pick faults purely because the poster is female then they can crawl back under the stone they came from.

I agree gender should be irrelevant

I understand she races as I'm one of a number of people who actually look at sigs I've read her blog about some race or other where she stopped to help a rider who had an off.
However I still hold to my original statement that having to write it in the rant adds nothing to her argument about how women are treated in my eyes

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

I agree gender should be irrelevant

I understand she races as I'm one of a number of people who actually look at sigs I've read her blog about some race or other where she stopped to help a rider who had an off.
However I still hold to my original statement that having to write it in the rant adds nothing to her argument about how women are treated in my eyes

Thank you, I can absolutely understand where you're coming from however unfortunately while that doesn't make a difference in your eyes I do feel that for some it does.

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

I maybe wrong and no doubt people will tell me so but i think mooleur put the bit in about racing etc to let people know she does know a thing or two about bikes and racing and is not just making wild sweeping statements with no prior knowledge, which to be honest happens quite regularly on this forum.

Yep nail on the head there, it's just an example, I could equally say I ride sportives every weekend or work in a bike shop (if I did...I don't do either tbh) if it serves to get the point across that it is definitely relevant, though it's not surprising the comments on racing have been taken the wrong way!

To the other - it has everything to do with racing, riding, etc because it's absolutely clear that if I were faced with a debate if I were a male who rides 4 hours a week on his own I would gain more respect for my answers in some people's minds than if I were riding for Boels in support of Artmitstead. The attitude, as some have so well proven, remains to be the "yeah, alright love" one, which is what my post is about. If I have to make it clear that actually, I do have a bit of an idea about what I'm talking about, then so be it!

I honestly couldn't give a monkeys if no one on roadcc knows who I am, what I ride or who I ride for but when they find out and alter their behaviour towards me because of this it's quite simply an insult to logic.

I didn't say I don't like using this website, I use it every day, I interact probably a lot more than some, so why the hell should I have to put up with the sort of comments that get thrown around in respect of my gender? I'm sorry but "if you don't like it don't use it" is a pathetic response, something I'd expect if I tried to join the Masons, not use a fucking cycling forum.

Like I've said banters banter and we all get a bit feisty on touchy subjects but personal insults and berrating people for who they are is NOT cool - and Chiv as I've said to you before in the past you are basing your opinions on my attitudes on a few one off posts which were followed with pretty fierce comments between myself and one of these perpetrators. I'm outspoken but I'm not downright nasty to people!

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

I beg to differ, you are so full of bullshit it's beyond "laughable"

*wonders if i am a "perpetrator"*, so how are you going to "hunt me down"?

You seem to be one of those people who likes to "dish it out" but can't "take it", in other words, a complete hypocrite it seems.

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

No, Northstar you're not, you're just an out and out idiot.

Exactly how am I full of bullshit?

And exactly how do I dish it but not take it?

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

You do really seem to want me to hunt you down, though! Sorry love you're not my type.

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

LOL, this is just to easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Nope, the only idiot around here is you, you run around "dishing it out" but cry wolf when you "can't take it".

You were the one who said you would "hunt them down", tell me more? I'd rather you didn't but you seem to be a all round coward anyway.

*waits for the same reply and bullshit from you*

Avatar
allez neg [497 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes

It's like cbeebies but with swearing!

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

LOL, this is just too easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Nope, the only idiot around here is you, you run around "dishing it out" but cry wolf when you "can't take it".

You were the one who said you would "hunt them down", tell me more? I'd rather you didn't but you seem to be a all round coward anyway.

*waits for the same reply and bullshit from you*

Again, where have I dished it out? Bar the odd spar with equally feisty folks it's not like I go round giving people abuse is it? Have you actually *read* any of my comments?

Barely crying wolf either, I've been using this site long enough to see that there is, with some posters, a problem with this sort of thing.

You've mentioned the hunting down thrice now, desperate much? In case you've left ALL of your humor behind that sentence was used figuratively. I'm hardly a coward, but then you do seem to know a lot about me so perhaps I should just bow down and agree - you certainly don't like it when people don't hold the same opinion as you do you!

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

Avatar
chiv30 [986 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

Chiv as I've said to you before in the past you are basing your opinions on my attitudes on a few one off posts which were followed with pretty fierce comments between myself and one of these perpetrators. I'm outspoken but I'm not downright nasty to people!

I am and tbh thats all i can base it on being as i dont actually know you.
However im sure you realised that my use of Love etc was simply tongue in cheek rather than the need to use them in a patronising manner as some people have taken them.

As for outspoken well i can respect that but the need to swear on a public forum or resort to name calling in an online argument often undermines any respect a poster can gain for just stating facts and keeping calm.

Anyway as ive said Gender should be irrelevant when it comes to sport and sporting forums as im sure there are very real bigoted views from both sides as opposed to the trolling i was doing which although a little childish on my part was simply a bit of fun.

on a final note i wouldnt take me too seriously if i am being trollish however if im not then you can pretty much assume my argument is a serious poitn im trying to make  1

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:
northstar wrote:

LOL, this is just too easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Nope, the only idiot around here is you, you run around "dishing it out" but cry wolf when you "can't take it".

You were the one who said you would "hunt them down", tell me more? I'd rather you didn't but you seem to be a all round coward anyway.

*waits for the same reply and bullshit from you*

Again, where have I dished it out? Bar the odd spar with equally feisty folks it's not like I go round giving people abuse is it? Have you actually *read* any of my comments?

Barely crying wolf either, I've been using this site long enough to see that there is, with some posters, a problem with this sort of thing.

You've mentioned the hunting down thrice now, desperate much? In case you've left ALL of your humor behind that sentence was used figuratively. I'm hardly a coward, but then you do seem to know a lot about me so perhaps I should just bow down and agree - you certainly don't like it when people don't hold the same opinion as you do you!

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

Every bit of that right back at you : )

All a load of rubbish and you know it.

I couldn't care whether people have a different "opinion" from me but let's stay on topic and ignore your attempts to deflect attention away from what you started "ranting" about....sexism ; )

Avatar
fukawitribe [1430 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

It's lunchtime - maybe enrique let him out for an hour or two...

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
mooleur wrote:

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

It's lunchtime - maybe enrique let him out for an hour or two...

LOL, oh look, another fan club member has turned up : )

Is that all you have "internet warrior"?

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

I am and tbh thats all i can base it on being as i dont actually know you.
However im sure you realised that my use of Love etc was simply tongue in cheek rather than the need to use them in a patronising manner as some people have taken them.

As for outspoken well i can respect that but the need to swear on a public forum or resort to name calling in an online argument often undermines any respect a poster can gain for just stating facts and keeping calm.

Anyway as ive said Gender should be irrelevant when it comes to sport and sporting forums as im sure there are very real bigoted views from both sides as opposed to the trolling i was doing which although a little childish on my part was simply a bit of fun.

on a final note i wouldnt take me too seriously if i am being trollish however if im not then you can pretty much assume my argument is a serious poitn im trying to make  1

I know it was tongue in cheek, actually despite the post I suppose was a bit funny. If you hadn't have posted like that, someone else would have!

I try not to swear too much but I'll be the first to apologise where I have, sometimes it feels necessary. I genuinely don't mean to offend 95% of the time.

Appreciate your comments tbh, a firm handshake would be in order if we were at the pub.  1

Avatar
mooleur [537 posts] 1 year ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

Every bit of that right back at you : )

All a load of rubbish and you know it.

I couldn't care whether people have a different "opinion" from me but let's stay on topic and ignore your attempts to deflect attention away from what you started "ranting" about....sexism ; )

Oh my days your trolling is interminable, and rather incoherent, you're just pulling rubbish from nowhere now. Try a bit harder at least, no one likes a stupid troll.

In case you hadn't noticed, the rest of the thread is still on topic, unlike you.

Pages