Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

RANT ALERT - Getting fed up..

I'm getting sick and tired of every reasonable debate seemingly turning into some sort of misogynistic parry of "oh, I was going to reply with something interesting but I've just realised you're that bird who likes to stick up for equal prize money - so I'm basically going to treat you with utter disdain because obviously, despite the fact that you ride for a successful women's domestic team and train for 16 hours a week and work in a highly technical role, your opinion on anything is definitely worth less than half of anything a male counterpart could come up with".

I don't mind putting up with the fact that there are a LOT of armchair pros on these forums (sorry, but we all know this is true) because it's the internet and people like to feel important. However, it seems like every 4 out of 5 in-depth threads seemingly get turned on their head by someone making the above assumption.

If one more idiot calls me "babe", "love", "sweetheart" or simply winks at my responses I will hunt them down like the rabid rats that they are.

There aren't many women on this forum, but of the ones that do use it frequently - they are knowledgeable, experienced and well known riders, and we shouldn't really have to put up with this. If it were once or twice then fine but it seems to be increasing exponentially at the moment and it's genuinely making use of this website unpleasant.

Rant over.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

64 comments

Wrongfoot | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you can argue (with evidence) that you get a smaller % of the revenue than the competitors in the male tour I'll willingly join your equal rights crusade. However if you get a similar (%) slice of a smaller pie mainly because women's competitive cycling generates less revenue then I'd suggest you focus on how you can market women's sport cycling and raise it's value.

You seem to want equal pay under unequal market conditions which isn't going to be sustainable.

The plans and purse for the final stage of the Women's TDF are a step in the right direction, and the value of the Women's Tour on that final day is probably great for sponsors TV etc. I notice the prize money isn't similar for the other days of the Women's Tour, but then how many will watch the women's coverage every day this time around? A chance to capture more viewers and something to build on maybe?

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Apologies for some of those sentences making no grammatical sense whatsoever. It's Monday and I'm extremely tired.

Lost faith in t... | 10 years ago
0 likes

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

And for those of you that think this isn't a problem on this site, I direct you to the ladies top review that gathered a barrage of insults on the woman's looks rather than critique on the product itself. And the subsequent blog post that one of the lasses on here about his very issue.

It was seemingly swept under the carpet and again these attitudes have reared their ugly heads. It's unacceptable. "Internet banter" is not the same thing as belittling someone because of their gender.

don simon fbpe | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

On another note if you dont like using the website then dont , its like every other internet page or forum people make a choice if you choose to read something and you dont like it time and again then why come back?

Do people still think that this is a valid response or defence in order to excuse offensive or unacceptable behaviour?

chiv30 replied to don simon fbpe | 10 years ago
0 likes
don simon wrote:
Quote:

On another note if you dont like using the website then dont , its like every other internet page or forum people make a choice if you choose to read something and you dont like it time and again then why come back?

Do people still think that this is a valid response or defence in order to excuse offensive or unacceptable behaviour?

I wasn't using it to excuse any behaviour I was making a statement and I'll hold to it , if you as an adult make a choice you are the only person responsible for your actions.

So yes it's a valid response

sodit | 10 years ago
0 likes

And what the fuck was that all about I ask myself???
Someone has forgotten that its only an internet forum and as such totally irrelevant in life! REMEMBER
Calm down its only an internet forum  16

drfabulous0 | 10 years ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

There aren't many women on this forum, but of the ones that do use it frequently - they are knowledgeable, experienced and well known riders,

Hi Mooleur, I suspect that the above may be the issue rather than your gender, you see most of us are just opinionated knobheads on bikes. Myself I'm a pro mechanic but I don't come on here for serious technical discussion, just light hearted banter and the odd rant, loosely based around cycling.

Flying Scot | 10 years ago
0 likes

as I see it, any right thinking person knows who feels threatened in this thread, and it ain't the OP.

More power to you Mooleur, you have them scared, don't worry about the odd daft post, as someone who was a crap amateur 25 years ago, I'm always interested in hearing from those employed in serious modern day competition, regardless of gender.

There are eejits in all sports and walks of life, including those who live on the internet.

Argos74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm just gonna get out of the way, and hope Moo (and the other lady posters and columnists) keeps doing what she's doing, and as awesomely as she does already. World needs more women on bikes, in and out of competitive cycling.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Haha, aw cheers! you're more than welcome to sit on any time dude, good TT practise, do like the hard work, me  1

Thanks spin and jack. As it's been said, it's getting there, everyone's learning more and more and it's obviously an adjustment process as the women's side of the sport grows, sometimes there are dinosaurs lurking and eventually those will subside.  1

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Moo honey, you can hunt me down anytime.

Just be aware that once you catch me, I'll sit on your wheel for the rest of the day  4

Gentlemen, please remember that the ladies on here are as proficient in most aspects of cycling as most of the guys are. Don't go out of your way to be patronising or sexist.

spin sugar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Understand exactly where you're coming from, Moo; it's a familiar story. Frankly, it's emblematic of attitudes that, depressingly, still exist throughout many levels of cycling. I have to believe we'll get there. Eventually...

Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh dear. It seems to me that Mooleur got up this morning and was disappointed to find there was no posts relating to female issues or a proper sexist argument to be had anywhere ... so she thought she'd start one of her own.

Then she had an enjoyable few hours responding to the daft few who took her bait.

mooleur replied to Joeinpoole | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joeinpoole wrote:

Oh dear. It seems to me that Mooleur got up this morning and was disappointed to find there was no posts relating to female issues or a proper sexist argument to be had anywhere ... so she thought she'd start one of her own.

Then she had an enjoyable few hours responding to the daft few who took her bait.

Yes. That's definitely what I set out to do with my day.  7

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

But why oh why oh why is there a gavel?

Gavels have never been used in British courts......

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

And another fan club member, what level of membership would you like?

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fuck me this is a tiresome forum thread - I'm not blaming Moo, if she feels the victim of sexism on this site, then she's the victim of sexism on this site. Attempts to justify it as trolling or banter are pretty pathetic. Perhaps those bantermeisters ought to leave that shit for the sales rep meetings rather than exhibit their misogyny on a public forum?

Also, and though I try to resist picking on people's writing skills, "Northstar", your use of quotation "marks" not "only" make you look "thick" but also make me "think" you're a Daily Mail "reader". Food for "thought".

chiv30 replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Fuck me this is a tiresome forum thread - I'm not blaming Moo, if she feels the victim of sexism on this site, then she's the victim of sexism on this site. Attempts to justify it as trolling or banter are pretty pathetic. Perhaps those bantermeisters ought to leave that shit for the sales rep meetings rather than exhibit their misogyny on a public forum?

Also, and though I try to resist picking on people's writing skills, "Northstar", your use of quotation "marks" not "only" make you look "thick" but also make me "think" you're a Daily Mail "reader". Food for "thought".

In all fairness you lost your right to comment with your opening two words....

northstar replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Oh look, another "thicko", what kind of fan club membership would you like?

jacknorell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't give a toss about what gender someone is, just whether they're decent people.

And frankly, the women on this forum seem (in general) to be both more knowledgeable and better adjusted people than the average guys. Me included.

mooleur replied to jacknorell | 10 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell wrote:

I don't give a toss about what gender someone is, just whether they're decent people.

And frankly, the women on this forum seem (in general) to be both more knowledgeable and better adjusted people than the average guys. Me included.

Exactly  1 (to the first comment!)

On the second, that's kind of you! I do think everyone, male, female, in between, (mostly) have reputable areas of expertise and I like how most people have very passionate opinions and points to put across. It's good for that  1

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's like cbeebies but with swearing!

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

LOL, this is just to easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Nope, the only idiot around here is you, you run around "dishing it out" but cry wolf when you "can't take it".

You were the one who said you would "hunt them down", tell me more? I'd rather you didn't but you seem to be a all round coward anyway.

*waits for the same reply and bullshit from you*

mooleur replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

LOL, this is just too easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Nope, the only idiot around here is you, you run around "dishing it out" but cry wolf when you "can't take it".

You were the one who said you would "hunt them down", tell me more? I'd rather you didn't but you seem to be a all round coward anyway.

Again, where have I dished it out? Bar the odd spar with equally feisty folks it's not like I go round giving people abuse is it? Have you actually *read* any of my comments?

Barely crying wolf either, I've been using this site long enough to see that there is, with some posters, a problem with this sort of thing.

You've mentioned the hunting down thrice now, desperate much? In case you've left ALL of your humor behind that sentence was used figuratively. I'm hardly a coward, but then you do seem to know a lot about me so perhaps I should just bow down and agree - you certainly don't like it when people don't hold the same opinion as you do you!

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

northstar replied to mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:
northstar wrote:

LOL, this is just too easy, would you like a official fan club badge?

Again, where have I dished it out? Bar the odd spar with equally feisty folks it's not like I go round giving people abuse is it? Have you actually *read* any of my comments?

Barely crying wolf either, I've been using this site long enough to see that there is, with some posters, a problem with this sort of thing.

You've mentioned the hunting down thrice now, desperate much? In case you've left ALL of your humor behind that sentence was used figuratively. I'm hardly a coward, but then you do seem to know a lot about me so perhaps I should just bow down and agree - you certainly don't like it when people don't hold the same opinion as you do you!

Anyway, back to the thread please - shouldn't you be fishing on the fantasy threads?

Every bit of that right back at you : )

All a load of rubbish and you know it.

I couldn't care whether people have a different "opinion" from me but let's stay on topic and ignore your attempts to deflect attention away from what you started "ranting" about....sexism ; )

mooleur replied to northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes
northstar wrote:

I couldn't care whether people have a different "opinion" from me but let's stay on topic and ignore your attempts to deflect attention away from what you started "ranting" about....sexism ; )

Oh my days your trolling is interminable, and rather incoherent, you're just pulling rubbish from nowhere now. Try a bit harder at least, no one likes a stupid troll.

In case you hadn't noticed, the rest of the thread is still on topic, unlike you.

northstar replied to mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:
northstar wrote:

Oh my days your trolling is interminable, and rather incoherent, you're just pulling rubbish from nowhere now. Try a bit harder at least, no one likes a stupid troll.

In case you hadn't noticed, the rest of the thread is still on topic, unlike you.

Once again, right back at you "babe"

fukawitribe replied to mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes
mooleur wrote:

It's lunchtime - maybe enrique let him out for an hour or two...

Pages

Latest Comments