Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Vuelta al País Vasco Stage 1 Ordizia-Ordizia

So Looks like today could be an exciting opener  38 plenty of big names to spice up the stage  105

Standard

Alejandro Valverde (MOV)
Rui Faria Da Costa (LAM)
Michael Matthews (OGE)
Tom Jelte Slagter (GRS)
David Arroyo (CJR)
Ben Swift (SKY)
Daan Olivier (GSH)
Maxime Mederel (EUC)
Fredrik Kessiakoff (AST)

Purist

Bauke Mollema (BLK)
Alejandro Valverde (MOV)
Tom Jelte Slagter (GRS)
Samuel Sanchez (BMC)
Ben Swift (SKY)
Luis Leon Sanchez (CJR)
Johan Esteban Chaves (OGE)
Cristiano Salerno (CAD)
Maxime Mederel (EUC)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

That couldn't have gone much worse!, gonna leave my team I think in the hope of a more sprint finish tomorrow

Twybaydos | 9 years ago
0 likes

Woo-hoo - first win ever. Do I win goodies?

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

A dhb Buff is the stage winner prize for this race  3

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just what you need at this time of year!

Wig_Billy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Is the scoring information for this race accurate? Because some riders scores don't make sense to me.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

What do you think they are missing?

Infact, I know what you are probably going to say. The points competition is separate from the sprints in this tour, the sprints is what the break away guys are going to be picking up. The points are purely for the finish line and as such will not be scored. Because you already get points for them finishing first to twenty.

Wig_Billy | 9 years ago
0 likes

Ah yes, I remember it from previous years. The scoring information is a bit confusing though;

Quote:

Points awarded for overall standing in the points competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th

ray silvester | 9 years ago
0 likes

It's as if he nails a dustbin lid to the rear wheel and uses it as a gear!!

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

The main sprints competition was scored in Catalunya, the fact that it existed though wasn't confirmed until the race started though so it was added after that comment was made. There were three different sprint/point competitions during the Volta Catalunya, the finish line points, the intermediate sprints and then a single special intermediate sprint each day. The intermediate sprint points and standings are scored.

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

NO....

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Well argued, except you totally ignore the fact that the stage winners already get considerably more points for their stage placings than the break riders do from intermediate sprints.

This is about consistency, we score the intermediate sprints therefore those standings are the the one scored for this race. In bigger races sprints and finish line points contribute to one single jersey, in this race they do not therefore one standing must be chosen above the others. We've decided to do it this way and that's that.

As ever, we can't just change the game to cater to your every whim. If you're think we're doing it wrong you're free to set up a competitor and do it your way  1

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

You'll notice they are reporting the points competition only though, they are not doing the sprints. The competitions for Pais Vasco, as set out by the UCI are.

General
Sprint
Youth
Team time

I am scoring everything, bar the points which are just for finish line and team time, which we do not score in any competition, instead this is replaced by bonuses for the winning riders team.

drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for quoting me entirely out of context there enrique, I'm pretty sure that's something that has been mentioned to you before but you seem to have reverted to old ways this season.

enrique replied to Wig_Billy | 9 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:

Ah yes, I remember it from previous years.

Hey. You're back! Nice to see you!  1

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

The points are purely for the finish line and as such will not be scored.

Why is that? If it has its own classification in the race I think you should honor it in the game scoring, too.

enrique replied to drheaton | 9 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

The intermediate sprint points and standings are scored.

You're the man. I wish I'd known, or noticed that! You are truly (!) outstanding! How can I live without you?  39 I love you, too, you know that, don't you?

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Well argued, except.. This is about consistency...

Actually, quite honestly, if this were about consistency I would argue that awarding the points that the announcers and other sites that report on cycling consider the 'Points Jersey', if you will, the more important, 'prestigious' one, where more points are offered, should be the one we award points for... that (!) I think would be 'more consistent'... It feels a little weird to be giving out the 'Points' Classification points to a, if you will, 'lesser classification'... It's not that I don't see your point, it's just that in my mind awarding to it the 'better known', 'more recognized' classificaction makes more sense for a game of this caliber... The 'other' classification, seems, well, a little more 'trivial', maybe a 'consolation prize', if you will, maybe less 'recognized', less "applauded', if you will, than the 'Main one' - the actual 'Points', not 'Sprint' classification, so I obviously see that your discretion has been exercised, but honestly, I just think it would be more 'consistent' to use the other one. Now, can I bend your arm? No. I don't think so. But I still think anything I can comment on that brings more stature to the game, I'll take the liberty to express it. I hope you don't mind, of course. I only want this game to 'shine' brightly as the 'best', and I take every chance I can to make it a 'world class' experience!

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

You'll notice...

Posted a reply in the other thread...

drheaton replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

Why is that? If it has its own classification in the race I think you should honor it in the game scoring, too.

We never score all the different classifications because some races have loads like 'top Catalan' or 'top Basque' or they have a separate sprint comp for one sprint each day,it just gets silly with some races.

enrique replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

The intermediate sprint points and standings are scored.

PCS is reporting their 'Points Competition' as the one for the Finish Line Points. The Eurosport announcers are referring to the wearer of the 'Finish Line' Points Jersey as the 'wearer of the Points Jersey'. Cycling News reports the classifiication we're awarding points for as the 'Sprint' Classification, while the one Kwiatkowski is holding as the 'Points Classification'. I would suggest that next year we use the 'Finish Line Points' Classification to award the points for the Points Competition for this race, no?  3

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

So how are Contador's points from yesterday broken down?

He got 51 points. I guess 35 for the stage, 10 for GC, 4 for the KM on the last mountain and 2 for the KOM standings? What I don't get is if there's a Points Competition in the race, and it is being reported, and he's leading it, why are we not honoring that classificaction and awarding him 5 more points for heading that classification? Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about bringing in the other jerseys a race may or may not have. Why, if a race has a Points Competition, and the results are being reported and the stage scoring information page says, as Wig pointed out:

'Points competition (Tour): Points awarded for overall standing in the points competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th' (http://fantasy.road.cc/stages?sid=8001)

Then why aren't they being awarded?  39 I think it makes sense to include them...  39

drheaton replied to enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
Gkam84 wrote:

So how are Contador's points from yesterday broken down?

He got 51 points. I guess 35 for the stage, 10 for GC, 4 for the KM on the last mountain and 2 for the KOM standings? What I don't get is if there's a Points Competition in the race, and it is being reported, and he's leading it, why are we not honoring that classificaction and awarding him 5 more points for heading that classification? Don't get me wrong. I'm not talking about bringing in the other jerseys a race may or may not have. Why, if a race has a Points Competition, and the results are being reported and the stage scoring information page says, as Wig pointed out:

'Points competition (Tour): Points awarded for overall standing in the points competition at the end of a stage. 5 points for first position down to 1 point for 5th' (http://fantasy.road.cc/stages?sid=8001)

Then why aren't they being awarded?  39 I think it makes sense to include them...  39

What that description does not say is which points competition will be scored. In this case Contador is leading the points competition for finish line points but not the points competition for intermediate sprint points.

Given that intermediate sprint points are being awarded it makes sense for that to be the jersey that's scored, no?

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Given that intermediate sprint points are being awarded it makes sense for that to be the jersey that's scored, no?

Oops, thought Gkam was saying there was no PC classification points being awarded at all. And I didn't check. Ooops!  1 So why didn't you score that one in Catalunya? It seems that's the way it was there...  39

You had said:

drheaton wrote:

You'll note from the scoring information... that only KoM points are listed, this is becauase this race doesn't appear to run a standard 'sprint jersey' or 'points jersey' (there's no record of it last year)...

And cyclingnews did (!) report on a 'Sprint Classification' for Catalunya last year (!), which I believe was also based on just intermediate sprints, too  39 ...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/volta-ciclista-a-catalunya-2013

For example, the Sprint classification classification after Stage 1 of Catalunya last year was:

1 Christian Meier (Can) Orica-GreenEdge 6 pts
2 Cristiano Salerno (Ita) Cannondale Pro Cycling 4
3 Thomas De Gendt (Bel) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team 1
4 Cédric Pineau (Fra) FDJ

0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

...The points competition is separate from the sprints in this tour, the sprints is what the break away guys are going to be picking up. The points are purely for the finish line and as such will not be scored. Because you already get points for them finishing first to twenty.

Well, in a sense, don't the breakaway guys already get points for crossing an intemediate sprint in the game, 6,4,2? So, in a sense, you are already getting those points in the break, too...

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Nice win for Twybaydos today

Dux89 | 9 years ago
0 likes

This is a random place to ask this question but people seem to be active in the thread so: how long after a stage/stage race do prizes usually go out?

JAndrewHill | 9 years ago
0 likes

was there a break?

JAndrewHill | 9 years ago
0 likes

was there a break?

Gkam84 replied to JAndrewHill | 9 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

was there a break?

Yup

Gkam84 | 9 years ago