Home

Hi. I need to get to Birmingham on Saturday and opportunities being few and far between I thought I'd get the train to Oxford and then ride the rest. The most direct route seems to be A44/minor roads via Chipping Campden/A435. Has anyone ridden it and if so what was it like? Safety and speed are my priorities rather than nice views so if anyone's got a better route please share.

Many thanks

Steve

6 comments

mrmo [2013 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

A44 yes..... IT could be worse, it isn't that bad.... The corners down Fish hill can be entertaining, the road past Evesham is busy! I think it falls into the category of fast, unpleasant but not that unsafe. I would advise caution on the roundabouts passing Evesham though, lots of trucks, lots of traffic, you are on a major route between the M5 and M42, so if there are any issues on the motorway traffic does divert.

From the bits I know it might be worth diverting along the old roman buckle street, top fish hill ish through to Bidford/Alcester.

jackdawmagpie [9 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

It's up + down and heavily used by intercity traffic at high speed - depends on whether you feel comfortable on a big road. Turning North at Chipping Norton and taking the B-roads via Stratford would be much more idyllic, and a little less whooshy. They'll be muddier, mind.

Eg3ftp1 [65 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

You should be able to do most of it on this fairly direct and very scenic, low traffic route I've done before:
http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjQ3NDk=
It'll certainly be a lot nicer than the A44.

MattT53 [146 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Recommend the part of the route posted above from near Chipping Norton onward. Nice roads and not overly slow (don't know the rest). Otherwise, A44 after Moreton-in-Marsh isn't too bad (again only bit I know) but is a bit grippy/slow in places. Quite busy as you get close to Oxford.

mooleur [537 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

My coach lives in C'Campden  4 lovely area, I don't know it too well but from doing a couple of training rides around there I will say that Fish hill is a great climb if you end up anywhere near it, *but* it can be busy round there, and people seem to drive very fast around it so just keep yourself nice and visible.

Rushie [38 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for your help and advice. Sadly I got up on Sat, checked the weather forecast and was told I was facing a downpour and 29mph crosswinds. At that point I pulled the plug. But will do it next time and will use you tips.

Thanks again,

Steve