Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A44/A435 - Anyone ridden it?

Hi. I need to get to Birmingham on Saturday and opportunities being few and far between I thought I'd get the train to Oxford and then ride the rest. The most direct route seems to be A44/minor roads via Chipping Campden/A435. Has anyone ridden it and if so what was it like? Safety and speed are my priorities rather than nice views so if anyone's got a better route please share.

Many thanks

Steve

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Rushie | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all for your help and advice. Sadly I got up on Sat, checked the weather forecast and was told I was facing a downpour and 29mph crosswinds. At that point I pulled the plug. But will do it next time and will use you tips.

Thanks again,

Steve

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

My coach lives in C'Campden  4 lovely area, I don't know it too well but from doing a couple of training rides around there I will say that Fish hill is a great climb if you end up anywhere near it, *but* it can be busy round there, and people seem to drive very fast around it so just keep yourself nice and visible.

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Recommend the part of the route posted above from near Chipping Norton onward. Nice roads and not overly slow (don't know the rest). Otherwise, A44 after Moreton-in-Marsh isn't too bad (again only bit I know) but is a bit grippy/slow in places. Quite busy as you get close to Oxford.

Eg3ftp1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should be able to do most of it on this fairly direct and very scenic, low traffic route I've done before:
http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjQ3NDk=
It'll certainly be a lot nicer than the A44.

jackdawmagpie | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's up + down and heavily used by intercity traffic at high speed - depends on whether you feel comfortable on a big road. Turning North at Chipping Norton and taking the B-roads via Stratford would be much more idyllic, and a little less whooshy. They'll be muddier, mind.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

A44 yes..... IT could be worse, it isn't that bad.... The corners down Fish hill can be entertaining, the road past Evesham is busy! I think it falls into the category of fast, unpleasant but not that unsafe. I would advise caution on the roundabouts passing Evesham though, lots of trucks, lots of traffic, you are on a major route between the M5 and M42, so if there are any issues on the motorway traffic does divert.

From the bits I know it might be worth diverting along the old roman buckle street, top fish hill ish through to Bidford/Alcester.

Latest Comments