Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike finally arrived

IMAGE(http://s23.postimg.org/pwipfmri3/20131214_111226.jpg)

After waiting what feels like an eternity for my cyclescheme voucher (but was actually only about 5 weeks), I've finally been able to collect my new bike, a Trek Madone 2.1.

Yes, it's no 8 grand carbon superbike but, having spent the last 6 months tooling about on a 10 year old mountain bike, it certainly feels like one to me!

I've managed about 30 miles on it since Saturday morning, 23mm slicks perhaps aren't the most sensible tyres for damp roads. I'm suitably impressed though, and have already shaved good time off a couple of regular circuits despite the weather.

Stickers and wheel reflectors have been removed, but I've annoyingly managed to strip the thread on one of the bottle cage mounts already, so it now just rattles about... Not sure if there's any easy fix for that sort of thing?

Appreciate that toe-clips aren't exactly the last word in road-cycling etiquette either, but I haven't ridden clipless before and so want to get used to the bike before I take the plunge.

Looking forward to the Spring though, and getting some decent miles done in the warmer, lighter conditions.  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Matt eaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

With low spring tension I actually think that clipless pedals are easier to 'escape' than toe clips so I'd encourage you to get right on them.

The biggest benefit that I can see with toe clips is that it's easy to pedal away from junctions/lights etc. on the 'wrong' side of the pedal and then get into the clip when you are ready. Clipless can be tricky to get into in a hurry but its a skill that comes with practice (and riding CX).

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ive also stripped thread on my cage mount.can i hacksaw the bolt off

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

You might just need some longer/new bolts that will grip further in:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-Water-Bottle-Cage-Pannier-Rack-Allen-Key-Bolts-Screws-M5-Thread-/331082363170?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item4d160bf122

I changed from a cheap metal cage to a plastic Lezyne cage and just a fraction of a mm wider material meant the bolts wouldn't grip so I got longer ones, bingo.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's the thing, I'm not entirely sure until I can get it out, but the rivet part just seems to spin round. LBS suggested they had a rivnut tool and were confident of being able to fix it.

William Black | 10 years ago
0 likes

Did you strip it or is the boss rattling?

I ask as I noticed your bike is a trek and I briefly had a Trek EX9 which constantly had rattling bottle cage bosses. Apparently Trek use the cheapest rivnuts known to mankind.

parksey | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments guys.

LBS was my first thought as far as the stripped thread is concerned, can live with it until it goes back for a service in a few weeks and will get them to have a look.

Wasn't sure if there were any DIY products available, but don't fancy messing up the frame on a brand new bike!

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Congrats.
Enjoy the new bike.

jason.timothy.jones | 10 years ago
0 likes
SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

A good bike mechanic will sort that threaded bottle boss out for you. Try one of your local guys.

Nice bike, a mate of mine has just bought one too and is well impressed!

homercles | 10 years ago
0 likes

A good bike shop should be able to advise on replacing the water bottle boss - I know it is possible.

Latest Comments