Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

AAAhh my frozen fingers

Went out for 2 1/2 hours yesterday and the tips of my fingers were killing me. They hurt so much that it nearly brought tears to the eyes and they were still tingling last night. I have a pair of Craft Siberian Winter gloves
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-siberian-bike-gloves/ and I wore some Karrimor inners underneath
The rest of my hands warm it's just the ends of the fingers that hurt. If I can't fix this I hate to think what January and February will be like.
I don't feel the cold that much apart from my extremities.
Someone has suggested winter embrocation on the finger tips. Does that work?
If any one else with the frozen fish fingers has any ideas I'd be grateful to hear from them
Cheers
Andrew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

For cold toes rub vicks on them before going out. It will feel strange under your socks but you won't have cold toes.

Neil753 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was out last night, when the temperature was hovering around zero, with a pair of cheap pure wool gloves, and a pair of thin German army surplus leather gloves over the top. My fingers were as warm as toast. The key is to make sure they're not too tight.

When I'm out on a really long run, I also carry some cheap unlined waterproof overmits too, and I've used this triple layer system down to minus 27 centigrade without my hands becoming cold at all.

Ad Hynkel | 10 years ago
0 likes

Been 12-14C during the day this week (Glasgow)...

But from memory of recent cold winter commutes, I think I was driven to moutaineering mittens at one point. Toasty. Probably only of any use if you have down tube shifters tho, or single speed... can't imagine trying to operate anything refined in 'em.

Not sure what you can do about your feet though. I did read somewhere hereabouts of alu foil under your inner sole. Might try that out when the winter returns.  1

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Where are you? Because it is +10C here in Manchester. It hasn't dropped below zero yet and the Roses are budding down the street. Anyone here want to deny global warming, cause that is one argument that might run.

William Black replied to Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Where are you? Because it is +10C here in Manchester. It hasn't dropped below zero yet and the Roses are budding down the street. Anyone here want to deny global warming, cause that is one argument that might run.

I saw a butterfly last week! (Devon)

Notsofast | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've always suffered poor circulation and the pain when bringing cold fingers back up to temperature is indeed eye-watering. The best solution I've found is to wear an extra layer on my torso and get a really toasty core temperature. If your core isn't warm it doesn't matter what you cover your fingers in, they just won't be getting the blood supply they need.

Also when on the hoods tuck your finger tips in behind the drops out of the wind  1

CRM | 10 years ago
0 likes
tom_w | 10 years ago
0 likes

I get cold fingertips in gloves where my fingertips press against the ends of the glove's finger. I'd suggest getting some bigger gloves or ones with longer fingers.

I believe it's the layer of air around your fingers inside the gloves that actually provides the insulation that keeps you warm (like it's the air trapped in a duvet that keeps you warm, not the feathers themselves) so you need to make sure that all of each of yours finger is surrounded by air.

I have Endura Deluge gloves in size XL (I wear a medium or large in summer gloves) and they are really toasty. I've been riding at 2 degrees with a chilly wind and been fine in them.

PS: You need to test the finger length when you have your hands wrapped round the bars/hoods and with a finger/fingers covering the brake levers. If the gloves pull tight on your fingertips when you do that then the fingers are too short and you will get cold fingertips.

Mart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Last winter during the snow I often made a fist (tucked fingers into palms) for a bit until they warmed up. Not the best answer I know. But it worked enough to get me through. Just got to pick your time, nice straight bits of roads.

smuggers | 10 years ago
0 likes

I sometimes wear thin latex rubber gloves under my sealskins...Really help with keeping the extremities warmer.. It's more my feet I have trouble with in the winter here.. Never forget being out in the Dales one year, in snow & ice, near Penyghent..Would have gladly let somebody chop my feet off that day..Was well layered up and had overshoes on..Had to get off the bike and run up the hills, to try and get some heat back into them..Has anybody ever used the heat pads, that you place under the insoles of shoes??

Be careful where you put your hands after applying embrocation Andrew...Had a rather painful experience with that once..smirk..eeek!

snappyandrew replied to smuggers | 10 years ago
0 likes

that thought had crossed my mind

southseabythesea replied to smuggers | 10 years ago
0 likes
smuggers wrote:

..Has anybody ever used the heat pads, that you place under the insoles of shoes??

I suffer with cold toes, even with winter socks and overshoes. I use the air activated heat pads and they work perfectly for me, stay heated for 5-6 hours and don't really notice them in my shoe. I have them outside of my sock.

smuggers replied to southseabythesea | 10 years ago
0 likes
southseabythesea wrote:
smuggers wrote:

..Has anybody ever used the heat pads, that you place under the insoles of shoes??

I suffer with cold toes, even with winter socks and overshoes. I use the air activated heat pads and they work perfectly for me, stay heated for 5-6 hours and don't really notice them in my shoe. I have them outside of my sock.

Thanks for that, will look for some heat pads at my local camping shop.. No matter what sock & overshoe combo I try, I can never keep my toes warm on long cold days.

southseabythesea replied to smuggers | 10 years ago
0 likes
smuggers wrote:
southseabythesea wrote:
smuggers wrote:

Thanks for that, will look for some heat pads at my local camping shop.. No matter what sock & overshoe combo I try, I can never keep my toes warm on long cold days.

It got a Winter long pack from Amazon, made it a bit cheaper.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001THKJMM

Cheers

Latest Comments