Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Drivers and their problems

A new catch-all Tea Shop thread for those miscellaneous new stories that don't quite fit with parking, crashing into buildings or trapped/prisoners in their homes. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3297 comments

David9694 replied to ktache | 1 week ago
2 likes

Cabbies and burger van man - that's who we should be listening to. 

I didn't quite understand how the speed limit, and for that matter the traffic lights, stopped his would-be customers from eating their food. 

pockstone replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
4 likes

"Cranham Drive motorhome: dad clears drive of all vans":
Let's not be too hard on the fellow, maybe he was using it as bike shed.

Eton Rifle replied to ktache | 1 week ago
4 likes
ktache wrote:

Look at the angry man.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/06/bournemouth-road...

Christ, just what the fuck is it with these angry old men. I'm old now and more mellow that I've ever been.

andystow replied to Eton Rifle | 1 week ago
1 like

Eton Rifle wrote:

Christ, just what the fuck is it with these angry old men. I'm old now and more mellow that I've ever been.

HRT?

(hormone replacement therapy / legal-ish testosterone)

David9694 replied to Eton Rifle | 1 week ago
1 like

Otherwise law-abiding? 

David9694 replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
1 like
Hirsute replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
2 likes

Cash meters get targeted, the cash stolen and the machine wrecked. This is not cheap and leads to the removal of machines.

Hard to believe anyone with a car does not have a bank account or are they catering for the ones with no licence, insurance, ved?

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
2 likes

If you've got the significant wodges of cash needed to pay your VED, take out insurance, pay your garage bills, it's hard to see any good reason why you haven't got a bank account.

If the real issue is the unfathomable complexity of apps and card payments then I'm struggling to see how you can safe to drive. 

David9694 replied to andystow | 1 week ago
6 likes

There once was a man from Nantucket

Who beached his cybertruck - fuck it!

He called Elon Musk

But was still stuck at dusk

And was freed with a spade and a bucket 

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 3 days ago
4 likes

cyber truck owners are complaining of vandalism due to the Tesla brand now being intrinsically tied to Elon’s negativity & bullshit.

//pbs.twimg.com/media/GNWNCE5W8AAkFe-?format=jpg&name=small)

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 days ago
3 likes

Hirsute wrote:

cyber truck owners are complaining of vandalism due to the Tesla brand now being intrinsically tied to Elon’s negativity & bullshit.

Is that a message to or from the owner?

pockstone replied to David9694 | 1 week ago
4 likes

I wonder if Councils are going about this the wrong way. 30 mins parking- £20, 1hr- £10, 2hrs- £5, 4hrs- £2. And no moving your car until your time's up! Encourage the people who hang around town spending money, dissuade the 'pop to the shops for a paper' merchants.

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 week ago
1 like

Absurd - EV owner has no guarantee of a parking space anywhere near their home.

essexian replied to David9694 | 4 days ago
3 likes

David9694 wrote:

I've never understood why people should be allowed to own a car unless they have a private, off road space to keep it on. Roads should be for making progress upon and not storing ones several tons of metal..... and yes, I do have private parking for six cars on my property. 

Rendel Harris replied to essexian | 4 days ago
5 likes

In Japan they have the shako shomeisho (proof of parking) rule, meaning one cannot buy a car – new or secondhand – unless one can produce a certificate from the local police proving that one either owns or rents an offstreet parking space close to one's home address. In addition (and this is apparently what makes it work really well) parking on a public street overnight is banned almost everywhere in the country.

David9694 replied to Rendel Harris | 3 days ago
2 likes

どこに置いておけばいいですか、教えてください

Doko ni oite okeba īdesu ka, oshietekudasai

Rendel Harris replied to David9694 | 3 days ago
2 likes

私を誘惑しないでください...
Watashi o yūwaku shinaide kudasai...

wycombewheeler replied to Rendel Harris | 3 days ago
4 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

.... parking on a public street overnight is banned almost everywhere in the country.

How I wish I could go back in time and implement this policy in the UK, before everything got out of hand.

David9694 replied to wycombewheeler | 2 days ago
1 like

Totally this. Go back 100-120 years and say "you know old chap the time will come when everyone has got one of these infernal cars" and perhaps have some pictures of what the world now looks like. 

(And no I don't dote on the past as being when everything was wonderful.)

wycombewheeler replied to essexian | 3 days ago
0 likes

essexian wrote:

David9694 wrote:

I've never understood why people should be allowed to own a car unless they have a private, off road space to keep it on. Roads should be for making progress upon and not storing ones several tons of metal..... and yes, I do have private parking for six cars on my property. 

I'm in favour of on street parking for visiting e.g. shops, but not for long term storage. banning overnight parking seems the perfect way to accomodate this. With no cars remaining on the road all the time, there should be ample space for people to park in most places to meet the needs of shopping, picking up kids, visiting friends etc. and very little need for parking controls.

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 6 days ago
5 likes
Hirsute wrote:

A bit tangential but I love this one

"Man who kept his boat besides his house was ordered from the city to put up a fence to hide the boat from view. So he built the fence and hired someone to paint it."

Good thing he didn't paint a bike shed on that...

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 4 days ago
5 likes

Superb! Maybe in the same style somebody should start offering trompe l'oeil bike shed painting, disguise it as a parked SUV and no problems from the council.

Rendel Harris replied to David9694 | 4 days ago
4 likes

David9694 wrote:

'Common sense not fixed speed limits are needed on our roads'

But as Mark Twain pithily observed (along with many others), "Common sense ain't that common." One could of course argue that common sense would dictate that it is foolish to give virtually every citizen, whatever their level of intelligence or coordination, the right to pilot a tonne of lethal machinery easily capable of exceeding 100 mph in a more or less uncontrolled environment shared with unprotected human beings, with minimal education and testing and no follow-up training, tests or checks…

ChrisA replied to Rendel Harris | 4 days ago
2 likes

"unprotected human beings with minimal education . . . ", that is a bit harsh on the pedestrians.

Rendel Harris replied to ChrisA | 4 days ago
0 likes

ChrisA wrote:

"unprotected human beings with minimal education . . . ", that is a bit harsh on the pedestrians.

Point taken, comma inserted!

wycombewheeler replied to ChrisA | 3 days ago
0 likes

ChrisA wrote:

most drivers would have assumed he was talking about cyclists

wycombewheeler replied to David9694 | 3 days ago
2 likes

David9694 wrote:

Toni Schiavone said "I understand, but I refuse to pay."

Sounds like Mr Schiavone (famous ancient Welsh clan, the Schiavones) understands English perfectly well, and should have had no trouble deciphering the parking ticket.

David9694 replied to wycombewheeler | 2 days ago
2 likes

I'm sure if you presented him with directions to a garage selling petrol at £1.39 a litre he (and all other drivers claiming to not see/ be confused by signs) would have no trouble understanding it.  

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 1 day ago
2 likes

Couple with toddler in back end up with car on top of them after crash on country road
A young family were going about their Saturday afternoon when they were in collision with another car. After a number of 'near misses', there are now calls for the speed limit to be cut

The exact circumstances of the collision are unknown, including the speeds of the vehicles involved, but the mum said there needed to be better signs to warn drivers of some of the potential hazards. and a lower speed limithttps://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/couple-toddler-back-end-up...

And there was me thinking that every inch of Wales was covered in 20 mph limits. 

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 1 day ago
3 likes

"the mum said there needed to be better signs to warn drivers of some of the potential hazards"

Errrr.... High hedges, narrow road, bends. And that's just fron that one photo. Why would any competent driver need a sign to tell them that they need to moderate their speed and use the horn ?

Pages

Latest Comments