Damaged car sought after hit and run left cyclist dying at roadside

Family found cyclist three hours later but could not save his life

by Sarah Barth   September 15, 2012  

Broken bike (CC licensed image by garryknight, www.flickr.com)

Police are seeking a car with unexplained front and side damage following a hit and run incident in which a cyclist was left dying by the roadside last night.

A 27-year old man was found seriously injured at the scene in Bourne Road, Spalding, at around midnight last night.

His family became concerned when he didn't return from work, and traced his normal cycle route home. They discovered him lying near the road. It is thought he was hit at around 9pm.

He died later at the scene.

The driver had either failed to stop or driven away from the scene without reporting the matter.

Anyone with information should call Lincolnshire police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 101.

21 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

This amounts to murder. I hope the Lincolnshire plod are pursuing this with the vigour that they would investigate any other murder.

posted by Paul M [325 posts]
15th September 2012 - 17:56

3 Likes

Paul M wrote:
This amounts to murder. I hope the Lincolnshire plod are pursuing this with the vigour that they would investigate any other murder.

No it really does NOT amount to murder.

We know NOTHING about the incident apart from the poor guy was hit by a car.

Was the cyclist wearing hi-vis? His lights working? Did he have lights?......etc

So many questions that will be known to the general public.

I was watching one of those police, camera, action programs not so long ago. A cyclist had been knocked down and died. No car at the scene or any witnesses. So the police started their investigation into it all. Not long after a driver called in to report she had hit something in that general area. She thought it was an animal and drove home. Where her father and B/F told her to phone the police as it didn't look like it was an animal she hit.

The cyclist had NO lights, was wearing dark clothes and cycling in the middle of the carriageway. Surprise

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
15th September 2012 - 18:17

4 Likes

Gkam84 many thanks for your post but as Timothys father, yep thats my son you are talking about. Hers the info all confirmed by police !

1. My Son was were a Hi Vis Motorcycle Jacket.

2. he was not using headphones to listen to music ( he wasnt that stupid)

3. His front light was still on ( new last week hi quality led light) about 3 hours after he was knocked of his bike.

4. The rear light again new last week and hi quality led light ( both costing him nearly £40.00) was still on when found during teh daylight this morning.

5. The point of impact was 9" from the curb !

6. he was travelling along a straight piece of road around 9pm last night when he was driven thru by a van doing at least 60MPH. NO SKID marks ! he/she didnt stop

My son travelled that road on his belovid bike since he was 10 years old ! at night if he heard a vehicle coming up behind him he would ride up on the pavement then back on the road after it had gone - According to teh police he didnt get that chance last nite.

Like many you obviously choose what you see on TV as what always happened. Personally I thought your comments very hurtful - I just hope you dont have to go thru what we are going thru at the moment !

posted by Stephen Osborn [1 posts]
15th September 2012 - 18:43

5 Likes

I saw the same programme. A few points.....

How the fuck can you do as much damage to a car as the woman in question did and not know?

Plod didn't pursue the case because they knew they would'nt have enough evidence for a conviction.

She not stop to find out what she struck.

She'd hit something so large it came close to writing her car off. She didn't stop because she knew she'd hurt someone and shat herself. Later in a fit of guilt she admitted she "may have hit something."

Unless you are pissed up or drugged up or driving an HGV you'd know if you hit something weighing 60kg+ with sufficient force to kill it and you'd stop. Doing nothing is inhuman and criminal, plain and simple. If it wasn't your fault or you weren't pissed or drugged why would you not stop or not help if you did stop?

Banging your fist on a car window is loud enough to make any car driver jump if they ain't expecting it. Striking a car with lethal force? Shockingingly loud. "Sorry mate I didn't hear you bounce off my bonnet."? Sorry mate this woman's argument and by association, your argument doesn't hold water.

The wearing of Hi-Vis and helmets is not a legal requirement. Working lights after dark are.

Helmets don't prevent injuries from car/bus/lorry strike, just injuries from falling off your bike at less than 5mph.

In this case, unless this poor individual was struck by someones bus or lorry, or the driver was drunk/drugged, the driver knew what they were doing.

My condolences to his family and friends

Cake?

posted by 515 [16 posts]
15th September 2012 - 19:04

3 Likes

Stephen Osborn wrote:
Gkam84 many thanks for your post but as Timothys father, yep thats my son you are talking about. Hers the info all confirmed by police !

1. My Son was were a Hi Vis Motorcycle Jacket.

2. he was not using headphones to listen to music ( he wasnt that stupid)

3. His front light was still on ( new last week hi quality led light) about 3 hours after he was knocked of his bike.

4. The rear light again new last week and hi quality led light ( both costing him nearly £40.00) was still on when found during teh daylight this morning.

5. The point of impact was 9" from the curb !

6. he was travelling along a straight piece of road around 9pm last night when he was driven thru by a van doing at least 60MPH. NO SKID marks ! he/she didnt stop

My son travelled that road on his belovid bike since he was 10 years old ! at night if he heard a vehicle coming up behind him he would ride up on the pavement then back on the road after it had gone - According to teh police he didnt get that chance last nite.

Like many you obviously choose what you see on TV as what always happened. Personally I thought your comments very hurtful - I just hope you dont have to go thru what we are going thru at the moment !

Stephen, Firstly I am very sorry for your loss.

But please don't take my whole comment as aimed at your situation. I was merely trying to point out to Paul M who posted above me that we as the general public knew nothing at the time of this article coming up on Road.cc.

My post was in no way suggesting any of comments were correct or right to your son's situation. I was trying to stop the normal host of comments on here that sometimes get out of hand. By saying we knew nothing of the situation I would have been unfair of anyone to lay the blame anywhere until the facts of the incident were known.

Now you have informed us. I would tend to agree with Paul M that it does amount to murder and I feel genuinely sorry for yourself and your family at this awful time.

I hope the police apprehend the culprit swiftly and the justice system does its job. All to often this does not seem to be done.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Keith

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
15th September 2012 - 19:40

4 Likes

Such a sad event.
Our thoughts go out to you and your family Stephen.
I hope the perpetrator is caught soon although I can't imagine that would help right now, personally I feel a suitable punishment would be a public lynching.

posted by vinnn [39 posts]
15th September 2012 - 20:15

3 Likes

I am so sorry Stephen, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your' family at this traumatic time. I hope the police catch the person responsible and throw the book at him/ her.

Meg

posted by charliegirl2008 [6 posts]
15th September 2012 - 21:10

2 Likes

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this heartbreaking time Stephen.

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1068 posts]
15th September 2012 - 21:18

4 Likes

Dear Stephen, sincere condolences to you, your family and Timothy's friends. It must be a terrible time for you all.

I would take issue with Gkam regarding the last sentence. A cyclist is entitled to as much of the road as they need to cycle safely. Generally this means cycling 0.5 - 1 meter from the kerb but potholes, draincovers etc often require moving out further into the carriageway. When I feel threatened by traffic passing too close I will often cycle further out to make traffic slow down and to be more visible. It also gives more safety space if vehicles turn left in front of you. I am sure they feel I am being deliberately obstructive but I only do it when I feel necessary.

This site has useful information http://www.access-legal.co.uk/free-legal-guides/sharing-the-roads-with-c...

posted by Pitchpole [2 posts]
16th September 2012 - 10:01

4 Likes

What a terrible thing to happen. Sincere condolences to you and your family Stephen.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3474 posts]
16th September 2012 - 10:40

3 Likes

Stephen, there is nothing anyone can say that will make things better.

As a serving Police officer we see incidents such as this almost on a daily basis and no matter how hard we try to keep our emotions in check its still heartbreaking to have to deal with it. I hope the Police can catch the offender and give you and your family some form of closure.

My deepest sympathies to you all.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2847 posts]
16th September 2012 - 11:04

2 Likes

Pitchpole wrote:

I would take issue with Gkam regarding the last sentence. A cyclist is entitled to as much of the road as they need to cycle safely. Generally this means cycling 0.5 - 1 meter from the kerb but potholes, draincovers etc often require moving out further into the carriageway. When I feel threatened by traffic passing too close I will often cycle further out to make traffic slow down and to be more visible. It also gives more safety space if vehicles turn left in front of you. I am sure they feel I am being deliberately obstructive but I only do it when I feel necessary.

Did you read the passage above my final sentence?

I think some perspective needs to be given here, So I've tracked down the program I was talking about and got a link. This may be upsetting to some people. So if you think it might upset you. Please do not watch it and come back here to have a go at me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjbZ2q-k_O0&feature=player_detailpage#t=2...

My first comment on this article was only pointing out that we knew NOTHING at the time it was posted and for people NOT to jump on the bandwagon before we knew any facts.

I was not comparing this incident to what I saw on TV, just saying that without the facts we could not judge anything.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
16th September 2012 - 13:47

2 Likes

Stupid comment. Stupid name.

posted by SpamSpamSpam [20 posts]
16th September 2012 - 18:04

3 Likes

It's a terrible thing to have to deal with in a family, my condolences. I hope the offender is caught.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2308 posts]
16th September 2012 - 19:49

4 Likes

Gkam made the point that without presentation of the facts, it would be remiss of people to post presumptuous comments on the Internet. That's a reasonable statement to make. He seems to be taking a lot of stick related more to the fact that emotions are running so high on this thread.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3474 posts]
16th September 2012 - 19:53

5 Likes

SpamSpamSpam wrote:
Stupid comment. Stupid name.

Is that yourself your talking about Thinking

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2847 posts]
17th September 2012 - 3:06

3 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
Paul M wrote:
This amounts to murder. I hope the Lincolnshire plod are pursuing this with the vigour that they would investigate any other murder.

No it really does NOT amount to murder.

We know NOTHING about the incident apart from the poor guy was hit by a car.

Was the cyclist wearing hi-vis? His lights working? Did he have lights?......etc

So many questions that will be known to the general public.

I was watching one of those police, camera, action programs not so long ago. A cyclist had been knocked down and died. No car at the scene or any witnesses. So the police started their investigation into it all. Not long after a driver called in to report she had hit something in that general area. She thought it was an animal and drove home. Where her father and B/F told her to phone the police as it didn't look like it was an animal she hit.

The cyclist had NO lights, was wearing dark clothes and cycling in the middle of the carriageway. Surprise

Ho hum - here we go again. Congratulations Gkam84! Once again your posts are dong their usual job.

Seriously - ever since last week when it was pointed out by a number of other road.cc-users I've been going back and seeking out your posts. They were right - you really are inexcusable. Your posts are very often aggressive, intimidating, sometimes threatening, always opinionated and frequently ill-informed. And here you are again - rubbing salt into the wounds of a recently bereaved family.

What is wrong with you man? In all seriousness - please stop. I know it seems to you like you are getting your point across and 'setting the world to rights' but there are real people with real lives on the end of all the unpleasant crap that you write. I've often wondered what it is about the internet that causes people to behave like you? Hopefully you are not like this in your 'real' life...try acting like a human being and less like a troll - please!

posted by Lacticlegs [124 posts]
17th September 2012 - 11:37

5 Likes

+1 with notfastenough. Should be noted as well that gkaam apologised. If anyone is wishing to take it further with him maybe dm rather than publically on this rather sensitive thread.

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1068 posts]
17th September 2012 - 13:18

4 Likes

Sarah/Admins, fancy locking this thread? It's getting ridiculous.

Not only did gkam apologise, but the VAST majority of this argument is down to his original comments being misinterpreted/distorted anyway.

Stephen Osbourn is the only one on here with license to have a go at him, and even that isn't because of exactly what Gkam said. It's because his comments were too sensitive/easily misread for someone directly involved with the tragedy to be exposed to at such an awful time, and because Stephen is welcome to vent off if he feels the need to. Gkam's comments were clearly not meant to exacerbate the pain, but to wait for facts before spouting off.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3474 posts]
17th September 2012 - 14:36

3 Likes

I'm quite happy for people to email me if they have a problem, Just hit my name and then the contact button.

I understand Stephen's point. But for the other two comments, I responded to one as they clearly were trying to twist what I was saying.

The second comment from Lacticlegs is clearly to insight the argument even further and I will not be taking that on. Lactic seems to cause arguments everywhere I post by twisting and misreading anything I put.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9040 posts]
17th September 2012 - 15:04

3 Likes

We're not going to lock commenting on this story, but I would say that unless you have something to say that is directly relevant it would be much more appropriate if you made your comment in the forum.

Tony Farrelly's picture

posted by Tony Farrelly [4160 posts]
17th September 2012 - 17:27

4 Likes