Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Energy price cap

Can someone please explain how the energy price cap works.

Specifically: in what way is it a "cap"?

I read that the price cap is increased, then will be increased again, and so on and so forth.

I also read that the energy companies' profits have been increasing massively.

So, in what way is the energy price cap what the chap on the Clapham Omnibus would understand to be a cap (ie. a limit)?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

96 comments

Sniffer replied to PRSboy | 1 year ago
1 like

There is truth that the poorly managed went out of business and yes we are all paying for them.

I suppose my ire is more with those that create the system rather than the companies themselves.

The price cap, which was never expected to be the minimum anyone paid, is not and and never has been, designed to protect those vulnerable from significant bill rises.

hawkinspeter replied to Sniffer | 1 year ago
1 like

Sniffer wrote:

There is truth that the poorly managed went out of business and yes we are all paying for them.

I suppose my ire is more with those that create the system rather than the companies themselves.

The price cap, which was never expected to be the minimum anyone paid, is not and and never has been, designed to protect those vulnerable from significant bill rises.

Is it poorly managed or just the end-game of capitalism? I'd argue that if they made a short-term profit and then left before they had to deal with the aftermath, then it's exactly how our financial system is designed to operate. I mean, what's the worst that could happen to them - if they go broke, then the tax-payer foots the bill.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Is it poorly managed or just the end-game of capitalism? I'd argue that if they made a short-term profit and then left before they had to deal with the aftermath, then it's exactly how our financial system is designed to operate. I mean, what's the worst that could happen to them - if they go broke, then the tax-payer foots the bill.

It is funny how 'the market' (well, the high value end of it) always needs and gets taxpayer support when things go wrong...

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

It is funny how 'the market' (well, the high value end of it) always needs and gets taxpayer support when things go wrong...

With utilities, there is at least some rationale behind that. If an electricity company goes into administration, what happens to the customers? It wouldn't be great if suddenly x% of the country gets suddenly cut off despite them paying the bills.

This is part of the problem with having essential infrastructure in the hands of private companies that only really care about profit and not their customers. What we need is public ownership of the fuel companies (and other utilities) and then the tax-payer can push full-steam ahead with converting to wind/solar power and reap the benefits in the future.

However, that's long-term thinking which our political system does not select for.

Sniffer replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

I suspect in this case it was just poor risk management.  Maybe not identifying the risk, certainly not doing anything about.

For something as critical as domestic energy supply, with a Regulator, it is not acceptable that there was not a check on the financial viability of a company if the price of energy spiked.

Rich_cb replied to PRSboy | 1 year ago
2 likes

Unfortunately the original subsidies for wind generation (ROCs) were terribly designed so they continue to drive electricity prices higher.

The new CfD subsidies are now lowering prices but unfortunately the ROCs will continue to run until 2035 so we've got a long time to wait for that particular government mistake to work its way out of the system.

Pages

Latest Comments