Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Why is it considered wanky to wear sky kit

Apologies if the intricacies of the Scottish language is lost on you all  4
But I've noticed a few derisory comments about people wearing sky kit to sportives etc. why is it considered naff?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

161 comments

pjay | 10 years ago
1 like

Isn't all team kit naff? Unless you're a pro.

herlihy | 10 years ago
1 like

Because out of several hundred riders who may be riding a sportive there will be a small number of wanky riders who feel they are protecting some code that signifies only them to be proper riders. Last year I did a major sportive where because my summer bike was being repaired I rode a bike with mudguards. I got a number of snarky comments for doing so.

It is all part of a crappy culture where it is 'knowing' and 'cool' to quote 'the rules' and dismiss 'newbies' . Thankfully it becoming more rare but you will still see evidence amongst some dullards who comment on cycling websites.

Just ride what you want ,wearing what you want . The only rule should be 'just ride'

alsothings replied to pjay | 10 years ago
0 likes
herlihy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pjay's comment just being typical...

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's only considered naff by sad tossers who often quote silly made-up 'rules'.

There's only one rule: Wear exactly what you want to. And while you're doing it why not stick a finger (or two) up at the morons.

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

People who wear it aren't wanky anymore than people who consider it naff are tossers.

Simon E replied to TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

People who wear it aren't wanky anymore than people who consider it naff are tossers.

If someone thinks it's naff that's one thing.

If he tries telling me what to wear while on a bike he's undoubtedly a tosser.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I personally HATE the sky kit, but its not for me to tell anyone else what to wear.

I was on a sportive in March, I was the only recumbent and got some hell of a funny looks, then some smart arse comments as people past me on a climb, in their "pro" kit's and I just laughed to myself as I pasted them on a downhill and slid myself round the corners.

I enjoyed myself, that's the whole point, its not what you wear or what you ride. Its about enjoyment.

BUT, turning up in FULL kit, makes you a bit wanky in my book, team jersey's are ok, but when you turn up in team jersey, shorts, gloves, cap, socks, matching shoes and helmet. If you are not riding a team bike, expect to get some shitty comments  3

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

One theory is that Team Sky is a fairly recent addition to the pro peloton, with a lot of very good riders bought up in a short time, and some degree of success etc, and seen as very much a British team (although many riders are not). They have arrived late to the party with a big cheque book and are seen as a kind of Man Utd type team. Many folk therefore see all the Sky kit wearers as sort of also late to the party jump on the bandwagon cyclists with no prior interest (be that true or not)and little knowledge of the history etc.
This is just one explanation of which I have heard, so dont shoot me down.
I personally draw the line at those guys I have seen sporting World Champion jerseys though. That is naff.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it ok if you ride a team bike?  3

Steveal | 10 years ago
0 likes

I personally wouldn't wear it, but thats more to do with Sky and News International... I won't have The Sun in the house!  26 Wear exactly what you want to wear. The fashion snobs maybe having a bit of a laugh with the rules, but it goes too far if it makes people feel self conscious or somehow not "proper". I did see a bloke wearing a green and yellow superman outfit complete with cape this week though... would I be a hypocrite if I said maye that was a bit much? I had to do a double take.  4

0 likes

As for The Rules... well it is a very toungue in cheek site, and a lot of folks out there do seem to take what they say to heart and get offended. Chill people, it's not worth getting wound up about it.

Gkam84 replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

Only if you have the riders kit to go with it  3

Super Domestique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
Super Domestique wrote:

Only if you have the riders kit to go with it  3

I was so close too. Gutted  1

Camy | 10 years ago
0 likes

They would have a fit if I turned up, I'm still using my shimano stormtrooper mtb shoes, mtb spd's and a giro hex with shock horror, a peak!

Only had my road bike 4 weeks, really enjoying it and couldn't give a toss if I'm not conforming.

OldnSlo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Screw it. Wear yellow, pink, polka dots, green, sky or Rainbow. But please honor the jersey with your sweat and graft because the true winners had to work for it. Sites like velominati are complete bollocks. The authors should take up golf instead. Instead educate people, bring in new riders. Share it, don't add barriers to entry.

Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Are Sky paying you to wear their team kit? If not, why wear it?

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is not a pro rider. He was wearing a Sky jersey in local club '10' last night:

Would you tell him to his face that he looks wanky?

Thought not.

There was a 13 year old kid at the same event in a British Cycling skinsuit (not the first I've seen), racing a 2-up with his Dad. Is he wanky too?

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Simon, I would tell him, YES, because of his socks....WTF are they about?

Also, his bar tape needs replaced, if that's white....  19  19

joc replied to Tom Amos | 10 years ago
0 likes

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

OldnSlo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't wear sky, I wear planet x, Hovis and freebee trektravel jersey care of a roadcc competion win. Again, if you hate sky kit, yellow, pink, polka dot, green, rainbow or any other pro team. sell the bike and take up golf. Thats where you belong.

Psycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why not wear what you want? I agree that you shouldn't mix teams kits ie sky shirt omega shorts. And I also wouldn't wear a yellow jersey or world champs but I see no reason why you shouldn't support your favourite team. Just like football fans wear their team shirts. Cycling is a great sport and is extremely all encompassing with people of all walks of life enjoying the benefits. Lets not berate someone for wearing a sky top. We should be encouraging people to participate in something we all love and enjoy.

0 likes

The only time white bar tape looks good is when the bike is sitting in the window of the LBS.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

If you are not riding a team bike, expect to get some shitty comments  3

And if you *are* riding a team bike in team kit, you'd better be dropping people on the climbs  3

Gkam84 replied to joc | 10 years ago
0 likes
joc wrote:

A ridiculous answer....... Do you wear anything with a label on it? Or are you one of these new age hippy wanks who don't wear shoes so your closer to the earth

How was it ridiculous? WHITE socks and BLACK shoes....really??

I wear socks, sometimes white ones, but that's because I have white shoes.....

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Simon he looks super wanky doesn't he? Or is that the average British person?

bashthebox | 10 years ago
1 like

Simpler answer - those buying Sky kit now are the same sort who were wearing Livestrong kit a few years back.
It's the obvious choice, the choice which marks you out as someone who hasn't put much thought into what they want to project of themselves. Wear the kit because the riders you've heard of wear it.
It's not the wrong choice, but it's the bland choice.
Whatever, fine, loads of people are fine with being bland, I won't judge you too much for it.
But the history of the sport isn't bland. The great riders had panache. The great riders looked great as well as performing great feats.
I know I'll never be able to match their athleticism, but I know I can make an effort and find a jersey that makes me look how I want to perform. Socks that set off a detail on my frame. I'll do that, because Merckx did that. Fignon did that. LeMond did that.
This isn't just an excuse to huff and puff my way around a few hills.
This is so very much more. Don't dismiss it. Embrace it all.
It's not compulsory, but it's fucking great to get down into the nitty gritty.

Argos74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't wear Team Sky kit, but for anyone else, am undecided. There's points for and against.
Not Wanky:

Wanky:

mattsccm | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you are happy with it use it. If you feel unhappy with comments growa thicker skin.
IMHO wearing team kit it "unfortunate" as you don't ride for that team. It's rude (although I suppose you could say that the kit manufacturers have given permission) P
People often link this to wearing footy strip.
Well thats equally stupid if you are not playing for the team

joc replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
joc wrote:

How was it ridiculous? WHITE socks and BLACK shoes....really??

I wear socks, sometimes white ones, but that's because I have white shoes.....

As for your "hippy wank" comment, if people don't want to wear shoes, that's up to them, who are YOU to say what's right and wrong....

Don't think you understood me..... Your rational was not to wear a sky kit because they weren't paying you. By that rationale you wouldn't wear say a Lacoste polo shirt or anything with a logo on it. My no shoes comment was an attempt at humour.... Fuck knows what matching socks has to do with what I said

Pages

Latest Comments