Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mothers! A buggy blockade

As I rode into work along a shared use path this morning, I approached some mothers with buggies. They were walking side by side and took up the whole path. Obviously I slowed right down and did my best to call a cheery ‘cyclist’ to them, and they still didn’t look best pleased at having to let me past. Is it fair that they take the whole of a busy path at peak commuting time, or should I wind my neck in? Are they technically in the wrong or is it just poor form? I’d prefer that they learn the meaning of ‘shared’ path, but bunny-hopping a baby seems a little much! What to do?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

dobbo996 | 4 years ago
2 likes

Back in June 2014 I was commuting through Bute Park in Cardiff. The paths are wide and, in the mornings, quiet. Anyway....it was a lovely sunny June morning and I was feeling good. Up ahead of me were two young women with pushchairs, end-to-end, chatting and taking up nearly the whole width of the path. "Excuse me ladies", I shouted out, expecting them to give me a little space to get past. They didn't budge an inch. I had slowed to jogging pace and moved out to the very edge of the path.  Big mistake as there was a gap between the edge of the path and a metal strip. My front wheel went into the gap and before I could do anything the bars were torn out of my grasp and down I went. It's what  motorcyclists call a front washout.

I went down so hard it was like the hand of God had come down and slapped me into the tarmac. I knew something was very wrong when I found I couldn't stand up. Broken collar bone. The paths are constructed of used razer blades mixed with flint so my left side - upper arm to thigh - looked like I'd been mauled by a very pissed-off tiger. Lots of blood. One of the ladies walked over and said "Ooo, I think that was my fault", and walked off with her mate, leaving me to bleed on the path.     

peted76 | 4 years ago
1 like

What about Mini Scooters though! Fantastic article on the daily heil - 'Scourge of the Streets' - the whole thing could have literally been written by the Daily Mash

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2683876/How-mini-scooters-sco...

Ref: your nattering buggy mummies, I don't think there's anything to be done, just get a bell, be polite, keep calm and carry on. 

Morgoth985 | 4 years ago
2 likes

I find a friendly “Good morning” combined with a loud freehub works well to announce my presence.  Even the professionally offended find it hard to challenge that.  I have a feeling that calling “cyclist”, however cheerily, might not be as well received.

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 4 years ago
0 likes

You have come face to face with the sense of entitlement bestowed on women after six or seven decades of feminism. 

Your next test will be to walk down the street and not move out of the way of females coming in the opposite direction.   Just make sure you look your best, as you'll be on YouTube before you get home.

srchar replied to Legs_Eleven_Worcester | 4 years ago
2 likes

Legs_Eleven_Worcester wrote:

Your next test will be to walk down the street and not move out of the way of females coming in the opposite direction.  Just make sure you look your best, as you'll be on YouTube before you get home.

I was gently headbutted in the chest today by a young lady walking towards me while looking at her phone. I was standing still by the time she hit me and unable to move sideways, as she was part of a zombie horde walking out of Kings Cross station after a train arrived. I'd love to watch it back - could you send me that YouTube link please?

Do the blokes who also walk into other people while staring into a phone, or carrying a carpet under each arm, not upload to YouTube?

quiff | 4 years ago
9 likes

@hawkinspeter - why on earth is this a stock photo? Who commissioned it? I have two theories. Either (a) you own alamy and can bend it to your squirrelly will; or (b) your squirrel photo searches are driving trends in stock photo companies. "Right team, we're seeing unprecedented demand for pictures of squirrels right now. Squirrels in berets, squirrels in the maillot jaune, squirrels who look like Alaphilippe or Pinot. Just bring me squirrels! You, the one who normally does tedious shots of office stationery and co-workers deep in discussion - you're reassigned to squirrels!"   

hawkinspeter replied to quiff | 4 years ago
7 likes

quiff wrote:

@hawkinspeter - why on earth is this a stock photo? Who commissioned it? I have two theories. Either (a) you own alamy and can bend it to your squirrelly will; or (b) your squirrel photo searches are driving trends in stock photo companies. "Right team, we're seeing unprecedented demand for pictures of squirrels right now. Squirrels in berets, squirrels in the maillot jaune, squirrels who look like Alaphilippe or Pinot. Just bring me squirrels! You, the one who normally does tedious shots of office stationery and co-workers deep in discussion - you're reassigned to squirrels!"   

The only reasonable explanation is that there's a community of wealthy squirrels that wish to provide employment for their attractive partners.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Seems a bit selfish to me to take up the whole shared path and not be on the lookout for others. Still, it's not as bad as the parents with buggies on trains that ignore the instruction to fold them up and instead take up the only space available for bikes (it's literally the only place on the train that bikes are allowed).

Still, could be worse...

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
7 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Seems a bit selfish to me to take up the whole shared path and not be on the lookout for others. Still, it's not as bad as the parents with buggies on trains that ignore the instruction to fold them up and instead take up the only space available for bikes (it's literally the only place on the train that bikes are allowed).

Still, could be worse...

Don't forget the parents with buggies who decide that they'll take up the 'please give this space up for a wheelchair user' space, on buses.  Sorry, bit OT.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Still, could be worse...

Don't forget the parents with buggies who decide that they'll take up the 'please give this space up for a wheelchair user' space, on buses.  Sorry, bit OT.

Someone I know was on a bus where a huge row blew up over such a dispute, with the bus passengers dividing into tribes depending on whether they supported 'team disabled' or the gang of 'exhausted harrassed mums'.

Ended with he bus driver throwing a huge strop and refusing to drive any further and everyone having to transfer to another bus.

Another reason for anyone who isn't in one of those groups (and some of those who are) to never to bother with public transport and to stick to active travel.  Those bus things are mobile riots waiting to happen, I tell you.

Tinbob49 | 4 years ago
5 likes

1) no it's not fair, and 2) they really should be aware it's a shared path, but 3) you won't get far expecting people to acknowledge this or do anything about it.

Shared paths are not great, because of this problem - pedestrians don't realise that bikes actually use them sometimes.

Yes, they are numpties for looking at you disapprovingly, but nothing you can do about that.

bechdan | 4 years ago
0 likes

accept and continue with life, nothing we can do to change these things, same with dog walkers, construction work, etc.

Its not right but its not wrong either

brooksby replied to bechdan | 4 years ago
8 likes

bechdan wrote:

accept and continue with life, nothing we can do to change these things, same with dog walkers, construction work, etc.

Its not right but its not wrong either

True.  Its just kind of rude and definitely not sharing the path.

But if it were cyclists blocking a path and not letting mums-with-buggies past, mumsnet users would be baying for public hangings...

Pages

Latest Comments