Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Audax tips and tricks?

I've signed up for my first audax, in fact my first properly long distance road ride, although I've done plenty of longish distance MTB rides/races.

I'm happy with clothing, body and food, but what tips and tricks are going to make me an audax regular?

Currently I'm going to get busy with the highlighters on the route sheets (list type with instructions and distances) to make reading them quick and easy (stolen from motorcycle rallies).

I'm going to mark up some bits of OS map as a backup and as part of the route passes close to home I can calibrate my computer to match the course setter. Bike is fairly comfortable for 3-4hr rides and has mudguards, so I assume will be bearable for a longer outing (how long is 215km going to take?).

I think I'm going to need some way of quickly getting at the route sheet so a map holder could be a good idea, I'll also need to carry a few bits and bobs of food and clothing, so maybe thinking about a bar bag although worried about a clash with bar mounted light etc. Any recommendations for either of these?

What else is going to make this long hellish day of pedalling a joy?

What exactly have I done  13 ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

GPS is not frowned upon or banned. Or if it is frowned upon, then the frowning was done behind my back! Or maybe they didn't notice, or don't know what one is.

Simon E | 14 years ago
0 likes

To save carrying your OS maps, why not get a cheap road atlas and rip pages from that? You can pick one up for a couple of quid from discount shops and so on, or maybe a secondhand bookshop.

austen | 14 years ago
0 likes

All good stuff thanks, rubber band for the instruction line is a great idea.

More overnight thinking has got me wondering about how to rig up my Petzl headtorch onto my helmet for reading the course notes if (when) it gets dark. Not that I have one, but I presume GPS is frowned upon/banned?

Fully expecting to grovel the latter stages workhand. I'm not sure what you mean by a control checklist though, do you mean a list of controls or is there some funny multi-faceted 'masons handshake' I need to do at each control? You've got me worried now!

Riding in to work this morning I'm quite looking forward to it.

workhard | 14 years ago
0 likes

essential ingredient for rides of 200km and above imo is sheer bloody mindedness. Physically you may not 'enjoy' it, especially the second half, the first couple of times until your body gets accustomed. Eat before you get hungry, drink before you get thirsty, use the toilet facilities when you get the chance, and fill your water bottles when you can. Don't waste time at controls; having a control checklist can help with this. Adjust your clothing as required, layers! use your gears to make life easy and as others have said, pace yourself. YMMV.

vorsprung replied to workhard | 14 years ago
0 likes
workhard wrote:

essential ingredient for rides of 200km and above imo is sheer bloody mindedness. Physically you may not 'enjoy' it....

My first 200 wasn't like this. The day after I might have felt a bit tired but I don't remember it being such a struggle. I definitely enjoyed it.

TheHatter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've only done one before but the experienced guys (including a PBP veteran) had map holders for the route guide along with a handy rubber band to move down to the next instruction line so you could see at a glance where you were heading next.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

see you on the start line  1

austen | 14 years ago
0 likes

The LVIS ball buster on 28 March, think that there were a few people on here thinking about signing up. I'm pretty familiar with the loop south of Bristol as I live out in the Chew Valley, loop north is a bit of a mystery at the moment (but that's the fun).

At least the long route doesn't finish over Dundry Hill!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi Austen, which audax is it?

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

Got your beard on the go?  4  4

Only joking. I like audaxes me. Deffo get a bar bag, it's the best way of getting at all your stuff on the go. One with a map holder on the top is a plus...

assuming it's 15-30kph then 215km is going to take, erm, between seven and fourteen hours  26 if it's your first then best to take it easy i'd say, aim for maybe 12hrs total and pick up the pace a bit if you're feeling okay after the halfway mark.

Will your bike be comfortable? well, you'll find out  19 seriously though, there's no way of knowing other than trying. don't be afraid to tweak your position if you do get uncomfortable.

Pages

Latest Comments