Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Piriformis syndrome...please tell me your magic fix!

So heres me, early 40s trundling away, putting in bigger mileages than ever, getting pbs here there and everywhere. Big MTB rides/races, CX rides, best ever 50, 100 mile times on the road etc etc
I'll treat myself to a new bike I decide, maybe not a bad decision but certainly a painful one as it turns out...
I transferred the measurements as best as I could from my old Giant to my new bike - An Ultegra spec Merida Scultura.
First ride...hmmmm this isnt as comfy as I hoped, fast as f*ck, but not comfy. I'll try a new saddle I reckoned - Fizizk Arione, lovely saddle by the way.
Persevered but by persevere I mean keep banging the miles in while trying to ignore the pain. Tight inner right thigh, elastic band wound up tight tight...kept going, hmmm sore lower back after about an hour-ish, sore hip now too....kept going...
So after a few months of not very enjoyable rides and pain I went to see a local physio, who is great to be fair, piriformis syndrome... Which if you dont know what it is, it hurts...a lot at times. And supposedly very common among roadies and distance runners.
I've a load of stretches etc to do, changes to lifestyle - dont sit about too much, split long drives up, but its looking like a few months off the bike, I can still MTB as it doesnt hurt anything like so much on that as you move around so much more. The annoying thing is that I now get pain on the old Giant and the CX too which I never did before
What I'm looking for ideally is some magic way of fixing this and tales from you of how you did this and you were sorted after 10 minutes..no stories of woe please, I'm bad enough as it is...
Once I am sorted ( I will get sorted, please don't sow any seeds of doubt  11 ) I think I need to look at fit on the Scultura, which is an amazing bike. I know I tried to transfer the settings across but I now realise that the odd mm here and there makes a huge difference to angles etc. To be honest I did realise this then too, i just wanted to play on my new bike!
I know Retul and the like are supposed to be great but I just dont have £200 to throw at something like that and I'm not covinced its not something you cant do yourself with a bit of time and thought.
I think a lifetime of just jumping on new bikes with no issues and paying lipservice to stretching has finally caught up with me.
Joking aside though this is really doing my nut in, it will pretty much write off any hopes of racing I had for 2015. I'm a pretty grumpy chap at the best of times and this isn't helping so any advice or even just happy tales would be much appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

40 comments

slowclimb | 9 years ago
0 likes

Jimmy Ray Will - cheers for that, your post appeared as i was typing the last one  1

slowclimb | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just ordered this book: http://amzn.to/1y7xCjs as somebody else recommended it, and this app: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/10/automated-measurement-review.html

I will beat this!  4

And Poptart242 yeah I totally agree that i have aggravated something but I just thinnk that heading for 40 years pain free riding and it starts as soon as I change bike that there has to be something in it.
Either that or an aggressive geometry race bike isn't the thing for an almost 43 year old  3
It'll have to do as it took some domestic negotiation to get in the first place, I cant say I want something else! I reckon with a bit of fit jiggery pokery I'll ge there.

Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes

You can probably get a basic fit for around £50 or so, that will put you in a reasonably neutral position, but honestly, think about what you are talking about, and how much £200 really is in the big scheme of things.

One piece of advice I'd give would be to lose the Arione saddle, and maybe look at something like the Fizik Aliante instead. Why you ask? Well, I'll tell you.

Wingflex

This wonderful piece of technology provides flex around the area of the saddle approaching the sit bone area.

This is fantastic as it enables many of us the chance to get a truly comfortable position on the saddle.

So far so good.

However, there is a but (there is a pun in there somewhere), in that if you have any biomechanical issues going on, it will allow you to maintain a position that feels comfy enough, but is doing all told amounts of damage to you.

I speak from direct experience... the old tight inner thigh, sore buttocks, hip... I remember it well... I also remember the almighty 'let go' of the back that followed from ignoring the symptoms.

Happy days.

For me the solution was found in an immediate saddle change, chiropractic treatment, a fair bit of stretching, but even more core/muscle engagement work.

I am fairly confident that your problem will stem from you dropping one, or the other of your hips when on the bike. Lots of reasons why you might do that, but until you address it, you are going to keep getting problems. Chances are, the subtle changes in bike fit were enough to exacerbate an existing issue

Changing your saddle to something that won't allow you to sit in a potentially damaging position is a great place to begin.

Good luck, and if its any consolation, once you have nailed the cause, you will be surprised at how quickly you are back up and running.

slowclimb replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 9 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I speak from direct experience... the old tight inner thigh, sore buttocks, hip... I remember it well... I also remember the almighty 'let go' of the back that followed from ignoring the symptoms.

Hahaha, Jimmy - you are me!  4

With the saddle I thought I didnt get on with the one that came with the Scultura which was gutting as it colour matched the frame  4 Obviously now I realise it maybe wasn't the saddle! So I did the Fizik flexibility thing and came out being most suited to the Arione. Is the Aliante still a current model? Not many places seem to have it.

Jimmy Ray Will replied to slowclimb | 9 years ago
0 likes
slowclimb wrote:
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Hahaha, Jimmy - you are me!  4

With the saddle I thought I didnt get on with the one that came with the Scultura which was gutting as it colour matched the frame  4 Obviously now I realise it maybe wasn't the saddle! So I did the Fizik flexibility thing and came out being most suited to the Arione. Is the Aliante still a current model? Not many places seem to have it.

The Aliante is definitely a current model. However, they have recently updated the design (its nearly 20 years old now), and so many retailers will be running stock down in anticipation of the new design coming through.

As mentioned, there are loads of good saddles out there, but in my experience, this design provided the stable sit bone position I needed to start getting over my particular challenges.

Again, from my experience, you'll know if you are getting the right treatment when you start backtracking through all your aches and pains.

Thats what I had. If you imagine your problem being a chain of different issues working together, as you start unraveling that chain, its like going back in time. I'd find myself thinking... 'oh, I remember this niggle'. Quite a curious process.

slowclimb | 9 years ago
0 likes

Thanks chaps, all good advice thanks!
I've been doing the tennis ball thing the physio showed me but I think I'll get a foam roller too.
That app looks good, not for iPhone though  2

The LBS does fits but I'm not convinced they are much ahead of me!

fustuarium replied to slowclimb | 9 years ago
0 likes
slowclimb wrote:

Thanks chaps, all good advice thanks!
I've been doing the tennis ball thing the physio showed me but I think I'll get a foam roller too.

Tennis ball is pretty useless as it's too soft. Either a lacrosse ball from sports shop, or a pet shop and those heavy rubber balls for dogs. Can get a large one as well for sticking in to your butt. Cheap as chips.

Oh and if you have IT band issues I could tell you about a friend built like a gorilla, olive oil, and a strong wooden spoon! At that point you'll be praying for death lol.

fustuarium | 9 years ago
0 likes

I feel your pain; literally! Sounds like a underlying condition that's aggravated by the bike. You need to learn to be pain free sitting, driving etc and not just the bike. The bike can aggravate it, but your are pi**ing in the wind until the underlying condition is sorted out (as pain riding the Giant again shows). From a weightlifters background, we've all had it, and learn to manage it (is that a 'happy tale'?!). Your back only has so many flexions in its lifetime so don't look to stretching the spine itself. Speak to physio about learning to brace properly (planks, bird dog etc) and whether 'floss the nerve' is worthwhile. Oh and possible myofascial stuff like foam roller of lacrosse ball. Then, think about what you are doing and positions you are in when you are pain free. Then apply that position to those acitivites where you get pain.

Best of luck. It's not a life sentence. But it's not a 10 min fix either.

Poptart242 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Someone will surely be along behind me with far more knowledge on the subject but I think you're right on the fit, especially at high miles. I pick up my new bike next week but it's going nowhere with me sat on it before have it fitted.

So I'd strongly suggest seeing if you can find the funds for a bike fit - but I know £200 is a lot to throw at the problem. Does your LBS have a less costly fitting service? Mines was £75 (free with the bike).

Other than that, there's this? Roadie Bike Fit App on Android - http://goo.gl/Tcb6Sf

It'll never be as good as a real one but maybe enough to be going with for now?

Hope you get it sorted, can't imagine having the new toy to play with just sitting there frustrating you!

andyp | 9 years ago
0 likes

Getting a bike fit is a good idea, but in addition you really can't go wrong with spending a few quid on a foam roller and working the piriformus.
My physio did a few exercises with me then wrote me a little 10 minute program to do at home with a roller. Never suffered since.

Best of luck to you, I really sympathise...

Pages

Latest Comments