Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

why do so many people have it in for team sky ?

what is it about team sky that so many people have a beef about ?
considering they have given us a british tdf winner in wiggo , why do they seem to garner so much opprobrium, ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

62 comments

Gkam84 replied to crazy-legs | 10 years ago
0 likes
crazy-legs wrote:
Quote:

I don't get to know the inner workings of anything, but I do get my queries half answered now and again.

And you then mould those half answered queries into your own fully formed opinion which you then present as fact on an internet forum. Wow, well done you.  41

Erm, nope, I base my opinions not on any information I get from the team.

My personal opinions on DB and Wiggo are from dealings I've had with them, not 2nd hand stories.

The answers I get to queries are not shared publicly and are certainly never put out there as fact to anyone.

Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes

There is a bit of me that resents the SKY PR machine, but beyond that, I like them.

I think as already commented on, because they are 'closer' to us... i.e. british team.
There is bristish pride that suggests we should automatically support them, however if we don't see what we necessarily like we'll resent what we either wouldn't see, or will ignore in other teams approaches.

Its a bit like Cavendish bashing. It amazes me that there are people out there who genuinely believe the guy is crap, and not one of the very best sprinters the sport has ever seen.

I'm sure if he was called Marco Cavendiccio and rode for Cannondale, no one in Britain would have a bad word to say for the guy... same with Sky.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well it's just not British is it? These aren't plucky underdogs that are sticking it to the cycling giants from mainland Europe. This is a bunch of ambitious, intelligent riders and staff who are ruthless in their pursuit of excellence. It doesn't help that they've partnered with two firms who are associated with affluence and excellence, in Jaguar and Rapha.

What I do find weird is that people have such a problem with it's riders being human. If Wiggo sustains a TT pace for 25 mins in order to ensure a climb becomes 'selective', that's boring, but if he has the explosiveness to just drop everyone, that's doping! If Porte can nail everyone on a climb as a tactical move, that's doping, but then when he's nowhere the day after, well he's clearly cr@p and has left his leader isolated!

Maybe it's because they are disruptive, coming in and basically telling everyone (or demonstrating, via results) that they are doing it wrong.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

People critisize Sky because they are a British tean that are successful and we, as a nation, like to critisize anything we are good at.

I have relatives who live in Spain and the likes of Movistar, Real Madrid and Barcelona are treat like gods by the Spanish because they are proud of them, simple as that.

allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes
keirik replied to allez neg | 10 years ago
0 likes

what a load of rubbish, are we sure this wasn't written by one of the trolls on this thread?

Super Domestique replied to keirik | 10 years ago
0 likes
keirik wrote:

what a load of rubbish, are we sure this wasn't written by one of the trolls on this thread?

I think it's meant to stir up a bit of controversy. He also does a piece for Cyclist mag which is usually a good read.

Maybe I should start a 'Super Domestique says' column  35

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm indifferent on team ownership tbh, but I do have a bit more like for them since they started giving Manxies epic chances, what they've done with Pete since him turning pro is amazing and it's lovely to see someone of his caliber being given the chances he's worked so hard for. Same with the likes of Swifty and Thomas. It's a bit of a media circus because they're our "localised" team I suppose but I've a lot of respect for what they do for riders' development.

The sciency coaching stuffs pretty cool too, this reflects down to team GB also, they're a pretty classy machine IMHO.

At the same time, though, NTFO are now UCI, so I'm really hoping they progress to match those big teams eventually... they might not, but that would be an amazing thing to see happen. They've some brilliant riders and it's nice to see them focus on raw talent regardless of age (or gender!) the way they do. And their kits nicer.

Don't like Rapha though. Too pricey. Apart from my raphaclava but that was a gift off a good pal so that's allowed.

Not sure why everyone seems to have it in for Sky....like some have said I think sometimes it's just easy to critisise what's close. It's a shame, they're doing and have done a lot for British Cycling.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wow, you go away for a morning and it all turns upside down.

The question was asked. Why do people have it in for Sky? I gave my opinion, but that is not good enough, I now have to explain every little part of my opinion...

I get to know bits and pieces from inside team Sky, because there are two people working in different roles who have been long term family friends, way before sky was even thought about and before I was even born.

I don't get to know the inner workings of anything, but I do get my queries half answered now and again.

That is as much as I am willing to say on that, for fear of putting anyone's lively hood at risk.

madonepro replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

but I do get my queries half answered now and again.

Half right and half wrong perhaps...

In the last few years there have been major changes, and the team of GB cycling that was once the core of Team Sky, is no longer.

For my part, well i've been around both for many many years, and but no longer part of one of them. You'll note that Brad doesn't twitter anymore, but you'll see my work on his account, that we've 'parked'.

benji p replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

That is as much as I am willing to say on that, for fear of putting anyone's lively hood at risk.

You know, once you explain yourself you don't sound completely unreasonable. Maybe you should just think through the effect of what you're going to say and think more before you write. I just think the more you're willing to put into explaining yourself, rather than just putting your strong opinions out there, the less you'll look like a troll spewing out inflammatory responses

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nope : ) , though the sky fans would like it too ; )

ColT | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it me, or has it gone a bit quiet?  39

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't be surprised if he is a tosser, driven and successful people often are. The crucial point is, why does it matter? I'm not spending any time with him, and if he gets results for his employer than who in their right mind gives a toss otherwise?

Nick T replied to Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'DB is a tosser...'

What are you basing this on? I'm imagining he's far more widely respected throughout the world than you are even on an internet forum.

brackley88 replied to andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'DB is a tosser...'

I have met him four times now. Once in the street in Covent Garden hanging out with David Millar. Twice at charity dinners. Once at the airport in Brussels after last years Paris Roubaix.

In addition I have been calibrated by the 'Association Internationale du Tosser' (AIT), after completing a lengthy course and assessment.

On that basis I am able to say, officially, Sir David Brailsford is not a tosser. On the Kampinsky Tosser Scale (see Wiki) he only scores a Gamma 0.75 Rating. I mean, the Dalai Lama is a Beta 0.34!! He is open, humble, generous with his time and damn it, he even asked me questions about my own cycling interests. He was open enough to tell me the specifics on why he was disappointed about the Team Sky performance at P-R in 2013, including his frustration at one certain Nordic rider for not eating sufficiently during the race.....that is pretty damn open. It's not like we are mates. I don't think he recognised me.

I hope that helps everyone.

notfastenough replied to brackley88 | 10 years ago
0 likes
brackley88 wrote:

'DB is a tosser...'

I have met him four times now. Once in the street in Covent Garden hanging out with David Millar. Twice at charity dinners. Once at the airport in Brussels after last years Paris Roubaix.

In addition I have been calibrated by the 'Association Internationale du Tosser' (AIT), after completing a lengthy course and assessment.

On that basis I am able to say, officially, Sir David Brailsford is not a tosser. On the Kampinsky Tosser Scale (see Wiki) he only scores a Gamma 0.75 Rating. I mean, the Dalai Lama is a Beta 0.34!! He is open, humble, generous with his time and damn it, he even asked me questions about my own cycling interests. He was open enough to tell me the specifics on why he was disappointed about the Team Sky performance at P-R in 2013, including his frustration at one certain Nordic rider for not eating sufficiently during the race.....that is pretty damn open. It's not like we are mates. I don't think he recognised me.

Perfect mix of fact and humour. Post of the Week for you, sir!

So, how do I get myself scored on the Kampinsky Tosser scale?!

brackley88 replied to andyp | 10 years ago
0 likes

'DB is a tosser...'

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just to prove the 'insider' comment so it's not an accusation. Quote from the 'Team Sky - Discuss' thread:

It is all being reported back to the UCI through Sky, yes, Sky took the decision to do it all, but it is also helping the UCI with their stuff.

[edit] Just seen the news story, it basically tells you what is happening - some of the other info I've heard from inside the team

replyquote

posted by Gkam84 [8273 posts]
28th April 2014 - 19:30

Like (0)

Hoester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I sadly have to agree with Super Dom regarding the state of the forum. The reason I warmed to this site in the first place was the considered comment and friendly nature of debate. All too often it descends into slanging match. Disappointing, but not unexpected. Singletrack went the same way for the MTBers.

Back to topic, I'm not anti Sky. And no-one here seems to express distaste towards the new Galactico team that is Omega Pharma Quickstep?

Nick T | 10 years ago
0 likes

The simple truth is, Gkam hates them because they wear Rapha.

jmaccelari | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not me. You can relax...

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gkam has insider news from team sky as he said the other day.

On another note, as others have said, it just seems a natural progression. The complaining there is no GB based team. Once there is it is that they aren't winning. Once they win the drug / cheats accusations follow.

It, in part, has destroyed the friendly atmosphere this forum had a few years ago.

benji p | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't know why your responses irk me so much sometimes, Gkam. I have no idea if it's me or not but sometimes I'm bothered by the condescending arrogant 'holier than thou' tone I read into your postings. It's offensive sometimes. I apologize if I come across as rude

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

The fact that you are even asking this says a lot, it's almost religion like the way some people will have not one bad word said about them.

It's clear what is going on, all the things that have happened in recent seasons is all organised.

Him Up North | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you can get to the bottom of why being called "The Man Utd of..." your sport is considered a pejorative phrase (as it was in Gkam84's reply before it was edited) you'll probably find your answer.  1

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Wise up, Sky didn't give us Wiggins.

He was shaping up as a TdF winner long before Sky were even a fart in the air.

Sky did give him a team to do it, but another team could have done that for him aswell.

The get so much stick for the way they came into cycling to start with, thinking they were Man City and splashing cash everywhere, getting people out of contracts which wasn't a done thing.

They are very secretive with anything and everything, have had a few closets come out, covered up another couple before they came out.....

DB is a tosser....Wiggo isn't much better, Froome can't decide if he is really British or not.

They take young guys in and waste them. Hence why the Yates brothers didn't even think twice about going there.

I could keep going on, but you might think I'm a troll....

I don't like the way Sky does things and I think it is coming round to bite them on the arse this year. I don't HATE them as a team, just won't support them.

ColT replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

He was shaping up as a TdF winner long before Sky were even a fart in the air.

Sky did give him a team to do it, but another team could have done that for him aswell.

The get so much stick for the way they came into cycling to start with, thinking they were Man City and splashing cash everywhere, getting people out of contracts which wasn't a done thing.

They are very secretive with anything and everything, have had a few closets come out, covered up another couple before they came out.....

DB is a tosser....Wiggo isn't much better, Froome can't decide if he is really British or not.

They take young guys in and waste them. Hence why the Yates brothers didn't even think twice about going there.

I could keep going on, but you might think I'm a troll....

I don't like the way Sky does things and I think it is coming round to bite them on the arse this year. I don't HATE them as a team, just won't support them.

Just out of interest, what is your personal experience of working in the field of professional cycling? You seem to have an opinion on most stuff that gets posted, and I'm really not sure how to take your views as I can't be sure if they are well-informed or otherwise.

Genuine question, as I'm curious as to why you state that "DB is a tosser....Wiggo isn't much better...". I assume you know them, or have worked with them in some capacity. Go on, spill the beans.

madonepro replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

He was shaping up as a TdF winner long before Sky were even a fart in the air

Total rubbish, it was Yates and DB that convinced him that he could become a GT contender, and Sutton that made it happen.

Gkam84 wrote:

Again, horse manure. The world of pro cycling contracts and how they conduct the negotiations is no different to soccer and you just have to take a look at USPS before, and even what Alonso's future team are doing now, and don't get me started on Orica GreenEdge. Riders are bought...

Gkam84 wrote:

They are very secretive with anything and everything

This is a good thing no? Don't hear Apple telling there competition what they are doing. All teams, and athletes, all over the world, push the line as far as it can go, you expect that, as you do in medical research and many other professions.

Gkam84 wrote:

I take huge exception to this, I know that you don't know these guys, and DB is far from being a tosser. Leave your personal attacks to yourself

Gkam84 wrote:

This comment shows you know very little about the sport and it's inner dealings. Sky have there young guys, Orica have a different agenda, if you hadn't noticed, Orica are not building a GC team, and so the Yates boys are better suited to that kind of team. Too young for GT's and yeah, Sky will smash them, so not suited to that team.

I suggest if you can't be positive, unplug your computer...

Pages

Latest Comments