Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?

It seems like the lack of rain (down south anyway) has combined with the grit/salt that the local councils have put down and the damp dewy air to produce a suface worse than ice. Never thought id be wishing for rain. Hopefully when it does come itll wash the roads clean a bit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

had some brand new tyres on Sunday, NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!!! i didn't go down, somehow. But some of the corners, i might as well have been riding on ice. dropped the tyre pressures to silly low for tomorrows commute in the vain hope that i can find a bit more traction.

SounDaz_7 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I said the same thing to my wife this morning, be even worse if they freeze as well.

pdf500 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes! I've been thinking the same thing and desperately wondering if I'm losing my nerve or imagining it. I'm riding gatorskins at 90psi and feel like I'm drifting off the camber. Rain forecast for the morning here in Oxford.

pdf500 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Also, knowing it's slippery makes me feel very scared for (and of) cars flying around bends in ignorance.

Chutzpah | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off the bike on the commute yesterday, and I'm just the latest in a long line of my friends (I know of five who have come off in the last two weeks).

Mine was a relatively slow speed on a bend whilst cycling in traffic, luckily the car behind me was switched on. The bottom of my bike just went from me, no warning and I wasn't doing anything massively different to how I usually take that corner. I wasn't leaning too much, inside pedal was up, wasn't braking etc...

I've noticed on a few roads in the last week that when climbing - even whilst still in the saddle - the rear wheel is slipping slightly.

Add to this chatting to friends who are all agreeing that the roads are super slippy at the moment, no, it's not just you going crazy  1

philtregear | 10 years ago
0 likes

muddy shit on the roads round here from farmers gathering beet. when it freezs the only thing that works is ice stud tyres. a bit slow and a bit noisy, but fantastic if you want to stay upright

lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not only is coming off a problem but strava kom's are out the window due to excessive wheel spin  21  21  21

Chutzpah | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm using Gatorskins on both of my bikes (running 25 on one, 28 on the other). Anyone else thinking of switching to more "winteresque" tyres?

And if so, Schwalbe Durano Plus or Conti GP 4 seasons? Or any other suggestions to throw into the mix?

Efe M. Balli | 10 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe Durano's are not designed as winter tyres, specifically. The only thing different from an Ultremo is durability.
GP 4 season's have a different, softer compound for lower temps and wet roads. They are specifically designed winter tyres. However, they are quite heavy and have poor sidewall protection.
So I'd say Conti.
YMMV.

edster99 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off yesterday morning for the first time in years. It's not just damp, that's for sure. It took me about a tenth of a millisecond ....  17

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I found gatorskins get hard and waxy when they get cold. Tried marathons but they collect grit and glass in the tread and are a nightmare to take off at the roadside so I stuck with the continentals and take it easy on the bends

This is always a bad time for road grip though, nothing unusual. Spilt fuel doesn't evaporate as quickly, fallen leaves get pulped and spread around etc

0 likes

Running vredestein tricomp, great in the wet but shite in this slippy slimey crap we are having at the mo

DanTe replied to lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes
lookmanohands wrote:

Not only is coming off a problem but strava kom's are out the window due to excessive wheel spin  21  21  21

Not to mention having to start braking about 100 yards before every corner!!!
Add a bit of diesel from all the Hertfordshire back road 5.30pm tailbacks = heavy case of the yips..

kie7077 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can't find any studded tyres for road bikes - are there any that don't cost over £40 each?

Mat Brett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, totally agree. Bit of rain today might clean the roads a bit. They're a nightmare at the moment.

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Phew!!!! - I thought it was just me!!!! Had my first "unforced" crash in years just the other day.

Wrote this earlier on another post about winter tyres, but I too have "suffered" a totally unexpected fall...

Was a massive fan of Gatorskins ... until I got dumped the other day!!

It wasn't a particularly wet day. Damp, but with v little surface water and mostly dry. Hump backed bridge with keen right hander was a bit wet so I rode gingerly having had a backend slither on farmer's mud a little earlier, but I went down heavily - and suddenly - ripping my Asos gloves (yet again!) - thank god for Goretex repair patches!! - holing my leggings and ripping my bootee & hi viz (sorry guys, I want to live!!) over jacket.

Odd. I've ridden Gatorskins in winter for years, but I do have to question their grip in the wet. I skinned my elbow and hip, even though I was completely covered with kit, but I'm a bit wary now of riding again in the wet, damp days of winter.

May now look seriously at something with a bit of tread...

0 likes

Well, it rained a bit this morning now everything is covered in brown grey sludge and still just as slippy  20

woollee23 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off yesterday on an innocuous left-hand bend. Road seemed very slippery on inspection. I reckon the damp conditions combined with diesel fumes is creating a layer of layer of oil which, once you hit it, is akin to riding on black ice.

It's OK though... I broke the fall with my face  40

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

I broke mine with my elbow fracturing it  2

mrmo replied to woollee23 | 10 years ago
0 likes
woollee23 wrote:

I came off yesterday on an innocuous left-hand bend. Road seemed very slippery on inspection. I reckon the damp conditions combined with diesel fumes is creating a layer of layer of oil which, once you hit it, is akin to riding on black ice.

It's OK though... I broke the fall with my face  40

Important thing,

Is the bike ok?

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nothing's going to help on smoth tarmac with a bit of damp and a film of oily gak from motor vehicles. Had one wobble at very low speed (I'd almost stopped, was accelerating) whilst turning tight on a busy road. Spphincter tightening.

Geoffroid | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some Local Authorities use a molasses coated salt to grit the roads and this seems to leave a slippery surface, particularly as spilt diesel then sits on it. I drove from Hexham to Gateshead the other day and it was noticeable that when I got to Gateshead the roads were black and moist and slippery, unlike Northumberland.

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Interesting this, I had numerous rear slides cornering yesterday for the first time in ages. Was ready to bin my gatorskins but seemed much better today. Combination of dust/dirt and light rain was my guess.

0 likes

Oh and the grit/salt is mixed with wee as well! Went to a 2 hour presentation about it with work last year....yummy

mrmo replied to lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes
lookmanohands wrote:

Oh and the grit/salt is mixed with wee as well! Went to a 2 hour presentation about it with work last year....yummy

Ian, there are somethings best unknown!

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

Broke my thumb last year after slipping on greasy roads... ok it was combined with excess speed but it was like going down on ice - no warning whatsoever.

http://road.cc/content/blog/69805-binning-it-never-nice

Also came off on the first icy day this year "luckily" at 4mph so no damage done.

I'm no longer interested in trying to train before work if the roads are dodgy and either run to work or have the bike in the office on a turbo.

oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hell. I was off last week. First time in years (except on ice in Jan 2012). Just thought it was me rather than it being a trend.

I feel a bit better now (or is it wrong to say that?)

philtregear replied to kie7077 | 10 years ago
0 likes
kie7077 wrote:

I can't find any studded tyres for road bikes - are there any that don't cost over £40 each?

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1041/a85423/winter-118-spikes-28-x-120...

i got these last year after coming off on ice. had to mes around with the mudguards to get them to fit, but they were amazing. cycling on sheer ice for weeks. they are hanging up on a spare set of wheels in my garage. cant wait for the winter to start proper as i will be the only one out there!!

stenmeister | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off two weeks ago and got a concussion. I remember cycling through some puddles and then bang so not sure if it was surface water or black ice. As with many here, I had gatorskins on.

giff77 replied to lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes
lookmanohands wrote:

Another reason to use full mudguards.

Pages

Latest Comments