Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Car crashes into building - please post your Local news stories

Running this one up the flagpole to see who salutes... 

I just don't remember this being a thing until recently, now it seems a daily occurrence.
Could it be that there are drivers not up to the job, too many cars; should houses be made to ride in single file, shops put on high viz, why are we putting newer buildings in danger like this, it's irresponsible. 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18649201.car-crash-wall-iceland-s...

'A Dorset Police spokesperson said: "Dorset Police was called at 12.48pm on Thursday, August 13, to a report of a collision involving a car and a wall outside Iceland on Poole Road in Bournemouth.

"It is reported that the vehicle was also in collision with a pedestrian, but they did not require medical treatment." ' 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2614 comments

David9694 replied to wycombewheeler | 3 years ago
0 likes

..not to mention traffic.

Why bother with your £25000 -sorry-  £450/month for 36 months "performance" car, unless you live in a car advert. 

Hirsute replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Blood and guts

David9694 replied to Sriracha | 3 years ago
1 like

a regular, you might say.

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

"Did I leave the landing light on?"

David9694 replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes

https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/letter-visible

car drivers - "it's not our fault, they should be wearing high viz"

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

David9694 wrote:

"Did I leave the landing light on?"

I hope so

ktache replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's not about "speeding", though we know how often speed limits are actually observed, but going too fast for the conditions and to be able to stop in time when seeing an obstruction, in this case 4 ponies.

1 like

Nom, nom, nom

an airliner - we used to have those didn't we

0 likes

I suppose there is some truth in that. Drivers may slow down if they see something unexpected ahead. But as my photo a few posts earlier shows, you get some who don't slow despite the road markings and chevron signage.

0 likes
0 likes

I don't think it would have been published if it was. They always warn "distressing images".

David9694 replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes
0 likes

He was blinded by oncoming lights ??

I like the way one of the comments explains why at 40 mph it is not possible to stop within the distance illuminated by dipped lights...

Sriracha replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
0 likes
hirsute wrote:

He was blinded by oncoming lights ??

I like the way one of the comments explains why at 40 mph it is not possible to stop within the distance illuminated by dipped lights...

That is assuming you even use the brakes. Judging by the state of the car he never bothered.

0 likes

fencing, lighting reflective collars: anything to deflect from drivers' competence and behaviour. The car-led sub-urbanisation of the New Forest. 

There was an Echo report on a hit and run on the Twin Sails bridge in Poole - I'd just got into challenging Mr "ah, but was he wearing the relevant safety equipment?" when the paper turned off commenting and with that, all the comments disappeared. Too much speculation, I guess. 

Perhaps it's time to create a dedicated hit and run thread, maybe start again on this one?

Mungecrundle replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
0 likes

Reminds me of that classic bumper sticker.

"BABE MAGNET. DON'T LAUGH, YOUR DOORTER MAY BE INSIDE"

David9694 replied to David9694 | 3 years ago
2 likes

UPDATE - 6 months in jail. 

Would have been non-custodial, but he managed to miss all 3 cyclists 

Hirsute replied to hawkinspeter | 3 years ago
1 like

An assumption that it crashed, surely it was just parked there?

hawkinspeter replied to Hirsute | 3 years ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

An assumption that it crashed, surely it was just parked there?

Although there's a lot of selfish parking around Bristol, it usually doesn't involve activating the airbags.

3 likes

Some of the parking round me is pretty poor too. 

"you can walk the rest of the way to the kerb there, mate". 

2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/live-whitehall-road-crash-traffic-4862283

I once heard a really funny joke about a collapsing bridge - I still can't get over it.

Arch humour. 

David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

but, officers it's great that the man was dim enough to leave behind two wallets but, you've got the reg plate, so you should have no diff-  oh, sorry I only did that yesterday.

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/news/18803085.driver-crashed-bmw-new-...

1 like

But of course they will have had several hours to sober up/drink more or get some of the drugs out of their system.

Some of my favorite bits on "police Inteceptors" are when the wrong'un has crashed their car whilst drunk, but then reports the vehicle stolen in a drunken act of "genius", but when the police show up find that their shoes are covered in mud and they have their car keys, and the icing on the cake, they locked their car up before leaving it, something that a "car thief" is probably not really concerned about.

Drinfinity | 3 years ago
1 like

Why can't they stick to the car paths intstead of holding up the railway traffic? And it's all black, impossible for trains to see.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/national/18794478.two-people-hospital-c...

(From the same paper as the underwater drunk one)

David9694 replied to Drinfinity | 3 years ago
0 likes

I saw this story expanded on somewhere - there's a row of parking spaces further back at 90 degrees to the track. Someone commented "look at that flimsy old iron fence - that's not going to hold a car back, is it?" Or some such. 

David9694 | 3 years ago
1 like

Range Rover plunges into River Stour near Canterbury

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/range-rover-plunges-into-ri...

He had his hazards on - why didn't you say this earlier??

'Adam Hopkins, who manages Cycles UK in the city, saw the vehicle while walking his dog this morning.

"It was quite gloomy and it was the flashing hazard lights which caught my attention.'

1 like

Well they are meant ot make the car more noticable.  I'm guessing that they came on automatically, witht the deployment of the airbags.

Best comment-

GreenElf wrote:
Enough is enough. They *really* need to take Prince Philip's license away now

David9694 replied to ktache | 3 years ago
0 likes

And they've got the reg plate, so there should be no difficulty in tracing the driver or owner...

brakesmadly | 3 years ago
1 like

I had no idea that self-driving cars had become so common. Looks like the software needs some serious work.

David9694 replied to brakesmadly | 3 years ago
0 likes

Algorithm "hmm, might be a river, a billowing carrier bag or someone pushing a bike. Result : maintain 70% throttle."

Pages

Latest Comments