Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro Prize Suggestion

Well, here I go with a crazy idea.

The last week of the Giro seems to be tailor made for Premium members to stack up on transfers and come in with a bunch of sprinters on the last day... And therefore beat the crap out of any Standard player still standing!  1 I guess it would probably take a miracle for anyone playing Standard to win in this scenario.

So, how about this?  1

Dave, why don't you award ANY Standard player who is in the Top 50 in the Giro standings at that point, say Stage 16, 17 or 18, at your discretion, a 'CARRY OVER ALL YOUR TRANSFERS FOR THE LAST WEEK OF THE GIRO' card as a reward for being in the running at the end of the competition?

I can't imagine there'll be too many Standard players left in the running at that point and it would certainly reward a smart player who's broke!  1

On the other hand, if not that, why not give the Top Standard player for the Giro a FREE Premium membership as a prize at the end of the competition? Sounds nice to me!  1

Or maybe you could award a Free Premium membership for next year, to the 4th place, or whatever position that does not get a prize at the end of a competition, whether they are Standrad or Premium? Just for fun! Will you think about it? Thanks!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

48 comments

northstar replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Enrique, i still cant get over the fact you have so much interest and passion for the game but cant find a tenner to play premium, the mind boggles, it really does mate.  39

I agree, it's laughable, he should put up or shut up.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

I can't imagine there'll be too many Standard players left in the running

ten out of the top 20.

so can we stop going on about it now?

thanks

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

...I guess it would probably take a miracle for anyone playing Standard to win in this scenario....

enrique wrote:

I can't imagine there'll be too many Standard players left in the running

Dave Atkinson wrote:

... ten out of the top 20.

so can we stop going on about it now?...

Noted already below and in the Standard Team Giro Updates thread. Maybe!  3

enrique wrote:

I stand corrected. 11 Stages in and these are the highest ranking Standard Players in the Giro overall competition...

3 petiagos petiagos 1155
4 Pharmacie Roulant Jonas Lorenzen 1144 2
5 Eyeballs Out richardk9 1135
6 Mountain Renegade tony kappler 1127 2
7 Gilbert and Sullivan Gilbert and Sullivan 1124
8 karlake2 karlake2 1122 3
9 ZACATON anita 1115
10 Indurains lungs Samacollins 1105 7
11 rock n rouleurs matanhale 1099 8
12 Team Velosive Sebbe87 1094 4
12= Rangaedge Rangaedge 1094 11
14 Team Sky Blue NeilG83 1092 8
15 mischelka mischelka 1086 5
15= Hinaults Uno Hinaults Uno 1086 3
17 Eds Ripley Riders Eds Ripley Riders 1084 11
18 Guybrush Threepwood 2MeterPeter 1083
19 ProVelo ricycle 1080 4
20 pclark007 pclark007 1076 12
21 Got Milk TheDoctor 1074 5
21= CPT RACERS KIEF77 1074 7
23 Lampre-LSD ewen 1073 4
24 Polski Grifter Club PolishDave 1072 9
25 Klefbet.com kleff 1071 1

Pretty impressive!  1

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I admit defeat in my logic that having unlimited banking of transfers is an insurmountable advantage for Premium Players. So far, the numbers prove me wrong....  4

My only consolation? That the strategy of doing nothing this week to save transfers was a viable one...  3

But, me being me, I want to wait till the end before I have my final word on it!  4

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

And kind of demolishes any of your excuses?

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I think we can safely put to bed any concerns that being able to bank transfers gives premium members an unfair advantage.

It all comes down to how good your picks are.

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Exactly, yes banked transfers can help in certain situations, but they didn't help me move from 69th to 39th in the past two stages, that was down to me taking a punt on Navardauskas, using just one transfer, but getting it right.

Your almost tempted to change thins with too many transfers, when actually no changes, or maybe 1 change is all that is required.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, I shouldn't have changed my team yesterday but having 8 transfers I felt I needed to. That lost me about 50 points and dropped me down the table again and pretty much killed any hopes I had of a top 20 finish.

0 likes

It will only really(although i do mean r-e-a-l-l-y) help now in Brescia.

tony kappler | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi guys; I'm coming 2nd in Giro (standard player).
Question; do excess transfers carry across to next race? I presumed they do.
My opinion for what it is worth, is that carrying over excess transfers for a 3 week race is worth 40 points (for that race) if they are kept within the one race, and 100 points if they can be carried across to the next race.
My reason for not going Premium is lack of computer access at certain times (camping in the bush).
And yes, I'd love a complimentary upgrade for the rest of the year.
And finally, thank you for such a great fantasy site; slick and sophisticated and a complex enough scoring system to keep one interested.
Cheers

drheaton replied to tony kappler | 10 years ago
0 likes
tony kappler wrote:

Hi guys; I'm coming 2nd in Giro (standard player).
Question; do excess transfers carry across to next race? I presumed they do.
My opinion for what it is worth, is that carrying over excess transfers for a 3 week race is worth 40 points (for that race) if they are kept within the one race, and 100 points if they can be carried across to the next race.
My reason for not going Premium is lack of computer access at certain times (camping in the bush).
And yes, I'd love a complimentary upgrade for the rest of the year.
And finally, thank you for such a great fantasy site; slick and sophisticated and a complex enough scoring system to keep one interested.
Cheers

No, every race is a separate competition so the carrying forward of transfers doesn't apply between races, just within an individual race so you can carry forward transfers during the Giro but not from the Giro to the Criterium du Dauphine or Tour de France.

enrique replied to tony kappler | 10 years ago
0 likes
tony kappler wrote:

... And finally, thank you for such a great fantasy site; slick and sophisticated and a complex enough scoring system to keep one interested.
Cheers

Beautiful sentiment...

tony kappler wrote:

Hi guys; I'm coming 2nd in Giro (Standard Player)....

Man, I can't believe you're playing that well!  1 Where have you been? Your play is amazing!  1 How long have you been playing? Glad you came to the forum!

tony kappler wrote:

... And yes, I'd love a complimentary upgrade for the rest of the year...

And I think you should (!) and hope you do (!) get one, especially if you come in first, either in the overall Giro competition or just are the best Standard player!  1

enrique replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

It will only really (although i do mean r-e-a-l-l-y) help now in Brescia.

Right! That's exactly what I mean! Coming in to Brescia a Premium player might be able to bring in 5, 6, 7 or even 8 (!) sprinters (!), while a Standard player can only bring in 4 (!) without incurring penalty transfers!  1 The competition might be lost there!  1 Thrilling scenario, though!  1 Almost as good as the race itself (!)  1

Of course, with guys like Evans bringing in 14 or 15 points due to GC, PC and other points you won't need all that many sprinters...  39

0 likes

Cancellation of Stage 19 should swing it back a bit so it's not as big an advantage?

fluffchucker replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Enrique, i still cant get over the fact you have so much interest and passion for the game but cant find a tenner to play premium, the mind boggles, it really does mate.  39

There's always someone who wants owt for nowt  14
Does Enrique promote `PPI Claims' as well  39

enrique replied to ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes
ray silvester wrote:

Cancellation of Stage 19 should swing it back a bit so it's not as big an advantage?

I'm not sure... It is (!) more (!) transfers you can bank...  39

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Last day (before the last stage!) Standard Player Standings:

2 Mountain Renegade tony kappler
4 Eyeballs Out richardk9
5 rock n rouleurs matanhale
7 Polski Grifter Club PolishDave
12 specialneeds specialneeds
14 Guybrush Threepwood 2MeterPeter
15 Leipheimer not weeks memories of meseeuw
16 Meagre Farmer Otto Tom Amos
16= petiagos petiagos
18 DAMS-Lidl mafioso
21 EPO Ealing gruenstein
24 Chute Collective Chute Collective

12 Standard Players in the Top 25

Wow, we'll see tomorrow what happens... Huge inherent advantage for Premium Players, because they can bring in 1, 2, 3 or more sprinters (any more might not be necessary, even if they're available!) without incurring any Penalty transfers, and no Standard player has an advantage to absorb that point blow, but (!), you never know!

(It's not about the bike! It's about playing the game!  3 )

enrique replied to enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes
tony kappler wrote:

Hi guys; I'm coming 2nd in Giro (Standard Player)....

tony kappler wrote:

... And yes, I'd love a complimentary upgrade for the rest of the year...

enrique wrote:

...maybe Standard Players deserve... their own (!) prize...

Dude, Congratulations! Fantastic play! An inspiration!  1 Hope you enjoy the Giro helmet!  1

Same to presenrumu08 and karlake2!  1

Never (!) been so attentive in a competititon!  1

Pages

Latest Comments