Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya - Stage 5

Changes made expecting a sprint finish.  Meersman is the obvious choice but there are a couple of others who might feature.

Transfer wise I've made four bringing in three sprinters and 1 for the break, I've dropped Valverde, Richeze, Gesink and someone else so unremarkable I can't even remember who they were (it was Kreder).

Fingers crossed I can keep moving up the leaderboard!  A top 10 in this comp is not out of the question just yet.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got another full house and 123. 28th in the comp after missing a stage. I think I might have to try that more often! I think for these short tours it might not be a bad strategy. Noticeable that mountain points have been significant for the first time, had Salerno in from stage 2! He's earnt a ton of points!

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ive brought in Gesink for Machado. Now trying to decide whether to stick with Meersman and Dumoulin, or bring in Stetina  39

obutterwick replied to TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Ive brought in Gesink for Machado. Now trying to decide whether to stick with Meersman and Dumoulin, or bring in Stetina  39

Likewise. Got a good feeling about Meersman for tomorrow. Arroyo good on descents, too, so wondering about him.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Snap for Salerno.

All i need tomorrow is for Kohler to be in the break or be in the top 20 at the line and i will earn another badge.

0 likes

I got it right taking the penalty points bringing in Salerno and Dumoulin  1

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

16º 76 KREDER, Michel NED GARMIN SHARP a 03
17º 81 RODRIGUEZ, Joaquin ESP KATUSHA a 03
18º 192 CARDOSO, Manuel POR CAJA RURAL a 03
19º 206 MOLARD, Rudy FRA COFIDIS, SOLUTIONS C a 03
20º 114 HERRADA, José ESP MOVISTAR TEAM a

ended up with 4,7,9,17 plus the usual gc / mountain etc etc.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Right, update is processing.

Looks like I got 137, a decent score and I'm back into the race top 10  4

If there are any problems with the scores it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I'm off to get drunk!

chrisdstripes replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Right, update is processing.

Looks like I got 137, a decent score and I'm back into the race top 10  4

If there are any problems with the scores it'll have to wait until tomorrow as I'm off to get drunk!

I think I'm 2 points ahead of you - hope you get too drunk and miss the transfer deadline!  4

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmmmm, 2,4,7,9,11. Could have been worse.

What to do tomorrow though, will it be a break or will J-Rod want to try and launch something from the final climb?

chrisdstripes replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Hmmmm, 2,4,7,9,11. Could have been worse.

What to do tomorrow though, will it be a break or will J-Rod want to try and launch something from the final climb?

I think you'll have done very well there, not many will have Parisien. Presumably GC/KOM points from a couple of others too?

I had 2,3,7,11, plus 2,3,4 on GC and Salerno, so only one non-scorer. Just have to see if I can fit Dan Martin in for tomorrow now...

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Provisional GC
1. Daniel Martin (Garmin-Sharp) 22:20:39
2. Joaquim Rodríguez (Katusha) at 14
3. Nairo Quintana (Movistar Team) at 42
4. Bradley Wiggins (Sky) at 46
5. Michele Scarponi (Lampre-Merida) at 47
6. Robert Gesink (Blanco) at 59
7. Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida) at 1:10
8. Peter Stetina (Garmin-Sharp) at 1:17
9. Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) at 1:23
10. Jurgen Van den Broeck (Lotto-Belisol) at 1:25

ray silvester | 11 years ago
0 likes

That bonus second for DanMartin at the last intermediate may be important as his lead on GC is now 11seconds,protecting against a J-Rod stage win 10sec bonus!!

Port D'Ager KOM Point(Cat 2)

Kaisen 6 fantasy pts
Valentin 5 fantasy pts
Salerno 4 fantasy pts
DeGendt 3 fantasy pts
Rujano 2 fantasy pt
unknown 1 fantasy pt

2nd intermediate sprint

Kaisen 6 fantasy pts
Valentin 4 fantasy pts
Martin 2 fantasy pts

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

1 Parisien
2 Dumoulin
3 Poulhies
4 Ratto
5 Wyss
6 Fenn
7 Meersman
8 Lammertink
9 Martin
10 Damuseau
11 Simon
12 Lancaster
13 Ligthart
14 Gavazzi
15 Paiani

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know but with only 2 transfers each day i will bring back my other 2 gc boys and still be left with a gap for agnoli so better now and at least get 5 back than tomorro is suppose.

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Matty Lloyd has quit. Kaisen and Valentin have about 2 minutes on the peloton.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

brought in meersman and ratto for my 2 transfers and took a 10 point hit removing agnoli and brought in salerno.

my other riders are all the gc boys so a 1 - 2 today with salerno in the mountains points will do me.

ray silvester replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

brought in meersman and ratto for my 2 transfers and took a 10 point hit removing agnoli and brought in salerno.

my other riders are all the gc boys so a 1 - 2 today with salerno in the mountains points will do me.

Just the single Cat 2 today(6,5,4,3,2 and 1 pts)stumps so I don't know if the Salerno thing was a great idea even if he is guaranteed the 5pts for leading the KOM competition today and tomorrow(and most likely sunday as well)?

0 likes

First intermediate sprint:

Pineau 6 fantasy pts
Haedo 4 fantasy pts
Herrada 2 fantasy points

simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes

Kenny Elissonde apppears to be a DNS today.

ray silvester replied to simon F | 11 years ago
0 likes
simon F wrote:

Kenny Elissonde apppears to be a DNS today.

Makes tomorrow's transfers a bit more straight forward  39

#AlwaysLookOnTheBrightSide

0 likes

I took the hit in the end, 20 penalty points Dumoulin and Salerno in for Navarro and Majka

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got Meersman for Valverde and Lancaster Meier Wyss for sprint or finish points. Wiggo Purito Quintana for GC and Salerno for mountain points. Good day yesterday with Martin in spite of Valverde crash.

0 likes

That cat 1 and 2 on stage 6 don't look so bad so my transfers today will probably stick for tomorrow as well.

Martin(in for Valverde)
DuMoulin(in for Domagalski)
Meersman(in for Jeannesson)
Elissonde
J.Rodriguez
Meier
Salerno
Quintana
Nocentini

Gerrans is my big fear today.

0 likes

Meier is too expensive for my planned transfers of getting in Gesink and Stetina tomorrow (if I go down the penalty route today), as I will want to leave meersman in as a possibility for stage 7

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps Meier instead of Salerno? Another 5 points pretty much guaranteed but he may go in the break to make sure he wins the sprints jersey (only needs one or two sprints to secure it really).

0 likes

hmmmm  39 I meet hedge my bets, bring in Dumoulin and Salerno, 5 guaranteed points for Salerno and anything above 8th for Dumoulin and ive not lost any points

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, there is an element of damage limitation involved when things start to go wrong but I made two penalty transfers head of the main mountain stage, they didn't pay off immediately but did yesterday and left me with 4 for today.

20 points is a manageable loss of points compared to last year's 20 per transfer and it gives it more of a change of paying off. If Simon/Dumoulin both top 10 then it's easily going to pay off, if only ones does then you're only down by a few points because neither Navarro or Machado will be getting points today (probably...).

0 likes

See I could bring in Simon and Doumoulin for Machado and Navarro, but the 20 penalty points scare me in case it goes wrong

Ive been playing catchup all week, and everything has gone against me, so If I did it I doubt it would come off. As its just a week long race im just trying to hang in and class it as a write off

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

See, I'm the other way, now that they're only 10 points I see penalty transfers as a useful tool if used well.

My four (non-penalty) transfers are:

Meersman for Valverde
Dumoulin for Gesink
Ratto for Kreder
Meier for Richeze

Martin
Rodriguez
Simon
Salerno
Quintanilla

A Ratto, Simon, Meersman 1-2-3 would be ideal, as would Salerno/Quintanilla/Meier getting in the break again although Salerno/Quintanilla may wait until tomorrow.

Another 150+ day would be nice.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

brought in meersman and one other. It appears to be a sprinters stage as long as no breaks get away.

Pages

Latest Comments