Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Error message

An illegal choice has been detected. Please contact the site administrator.

Amstel Gold Race

Well, if the race is anything like last year there may be very (!) few DSs that score in the top 20 (!). Ben Hermans is the only current DS I can see that scored any significant points last year. He came in 7th. Bram Tankink came in 19th and Fabian Wegmann 20th.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

192 comments

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Voecklers win has set me a bit of a poser, was thinking about adding him but decided against it and he has gone and won today, might have to have a jig about  39

TERatcliffe26 replied to Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Voecklers win has set me a bit of a poser, was thinking about adding him but decided against it and he has gone and won today, might have to have a jig about  39

Now he's won today he wont do anything Sunday. Was never on my radar anyway

veseunr | 12 years ago
0 likes

I saw it live ... thought his tub might have come unglued to cause Sagan's crash?! Ouch  20

Clinchers forever!

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

and in the Brabant race, the top 10 were. . .
1.Voeckler 2.Freire 3.Serry 4.Duarte 5.Van Avermaet 6.Howes 7.Vanendert 8. Devenyns 9.ten Dam 10.Matthews

0 likes

Just in case anyone has picked Peter Sagan
Be aware . . . . beware
Peter Sagan gaat onderuit in gladde bocht

lucas replied to JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

... a water mammal is required...

How do you get one?....  39

JAndrewHill wrote:

... beware Peter Sagan gaat onderuit in gladde bocht

Peter Sagan "will undermine in smooth curve"? Hmmm... cryptic...  39

obutterwick replied to lucas | 12 years ago
0 likes

I got "topples over" in smooth curve.

JAndrewHill replied to lucas | 12 years ago
0 likes

google it and watch the video

TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Did abit more research into the other two classics and maybe a water mammal is required

0 likes

I dont have the too south europeans as you, got a different european that has previous at the ardennes classics and placed highly in the tour of the basque country

an italian climber? if thats what he is called, i do have an italian DS

and a youthful frenchman who is cheap

yes i have the must have norwegian

no water mammal

4 of mine are the same as yours

And chrisdstripes knows the star I have that lets say anyone who hasnt done any research wont have

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've got the following:

3 spaniards
1 australian
1 norwegian
1 italian
1 belgian
1 dutch
1 columbian (difficult to work this one out  39 )

0 likes

mine is

4 30-35
4 25-30
1 20-25

JAndrewHill replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

mine is

4 30-35
4 25-30
1 20-25

You've not gone for the water mammal then !
I wonder if you've gone for the youthful, in-form south american . . .
I'm guessing you have the same 2 southern europeans as me, and themust have Norwegian DS, so there's a load more DS in their late 20s to guess. . .

JAndrewHill replied to JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

mine is

4 30-35
4 25-30
1 20-25

I'm guessing you have the same 2 southern europeans as me, and themust have Norwegian DS, so there's a load more DS in their late 20s to guess. . .

No, strike Sergio, I'm guessing you have an Italian climber who can lead out a young sprinter and a recent winner . . . . but you'll need a cheap star too . . . maybe another tasty Italian with a bit of form

0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

mine is

4 30-35
4 25-30
1 20-25

No, strike Sergio, I'm guessing you have an Italian climber who can lead out a young sprinter and a recent second placer . . . . but you'll need a cheap star too . . . maybe another tasty Italian with a bit of form

0 likes

It all fits  3

0 likes

Yeh but your mistake made me lessen the budget you had for your other riders, which means that the one i put for moinard is actually a dutchman. without looking i know westra is 8.4 credits so it could be him.

I need to check your other way now  3

nickobec | 12 years ago
0 likes

Want to see the results of De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne before committing to a team.

Current working line up has 4 stars at 105pts and 5 DS at 23pts giving me 12 pts to upgrade with.

But I want to see Ardennes form before picking a expensive star or two, or upgrading a couple of DSs.

Note all DS have had top ten places in uphill finishes at Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco and/or top 20 finishes at Amstel Gold + other good form

frankiejay | 12 years ago
0 likes

Without giving away who is actually on my team, I will post the guys who didn't quite make the cut.

Sergio Henao- Looked good climbing in the Basque country and the 15.3 price tag was so compelling; would have allowed me to keep some seriously high priced DS's

Fabian Wegmann- Top 20 last year and also had his moments in the Basque Country. I think he has a pretty good shot at scoring points, which for any DS is a mighty good thing.

Other than that, I don't give many hints  1

2 riders in the 30s
1 in the 20s
1 under 20
1 DS over 10
2 DS in the 5-10 range
2 DS under 3

0 likes

Bet you have my less than 20pt star then Chris

Like i said its gonna shake it up abit

I haven't gone the two big stars (guessing most will go for Sammy and J-Rod, but thats not my tactic)

chrisdstripes replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well there are at least 2 stars under 20pts that have podium-ed in the Gold Race before, so you can never be sure...  3

TERatcliffe26 replied to chrisdstripes | 12 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Well there are at least 2 stars under 20pts that have podium-ed in the Gold Race before, so you can never be sure...  3

Well I have neither of them, I have the guy who has been more consistent over that time period  3

chrisdstripes replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Well I have neither of them, I have the guy who has been more consistent over that time period  3

Aha - gotcha. Top 20 in all 3 Ardennes races last season. And his team have underperformed this season so far so are due a result - could be a good call!

chrisdstripes | 12 years ago
0 likes

I echo everyone's struggles to balance their books - I've ended up going down the road of just getting the 2 stars I really wanted (both 35+) and a good bunch of 5-12pt DS's, leaving me with 2 stars worth less than 20pts to make up the numbers and hope I get lucky (although one of them has had good results in the Ardennes before so you never know...)

meninblack | 12 years ago
0 likes

There was no budget problem on Paris - Roubaix, with good cheap star riders (Ballan, Pozzato, Flecha, Boom...) but I think I'll have budget problem on Amstel because every star rider I like is expensive (Gilbert, Sagan, Rodriguez, Sanchez, Evans, Schlecks...). And the DS riders I like, are also expensive (Albasini, Hermans, Gavazzi...), so, a lot of problems are waiting...  4  4

0 likes

I'm gonna say 2 of your stars are the same as mine, and your scandanavian is too.

My oher stars both european, I'd say western europe

0 likes

Well my early seletion includes :-
2 south europeans 35-40
A western european 25-30
An australasian 20-25

A scandanavian under 5
A western european 5-10
A water mammal 5-10
An in-form eastern european 5-10
hmmm someone else . . . .

0 likes

oh, the the other ds is also from the southern hemisphere, and is 5-10. Doing the basque tour helps people see who is in form for the bumps!

TERatcliffe26 replied to JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes
JAndrewHill wrote:

Well my early seletion includes :-
2 south europeans 35-40
A western european 25-30
An australasian 20-25

A scandanavian under 5
A western european 5-10
A water mammal 5-10
An in-form eastern european 5-10
hmmm someone else . . . .

Stab at your team from your clues

Rodriguez
was gonna say sanchez but he is 34.4 so will go Nibali
surely you wont have kept Boonen, so could be Chananel, Vanendert or Martin, gonna say its gotta be lower end so im saying Chavanel
Gerrans

Nordhaug
tough one, gotta be cheap, gonna go Moinard
water mammal hmm im gonna go de waele (as he has previous and the only other possible de walle is too expensive for your team)
Spilak
Simon Clarke is the only other southern hemisphere that i think could fit with price and who u are likely to go for, actually im gonna go Hayman

How did i do?

JAndrewHill replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not bad . . . you even spotted my deliberate mistake. 88.88%.
You missed my token dutchman . . .

Pages

Latest Comments