Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Stage Scoring Table Feedback and Wish List

Overall I like the new game design. I just saw the scoring tables and I was a little disappointed that the scoring changed. I kind of liked the straight forward point system at the end of a race, from 20 to 1 points for the stage results. It had a feeling of being 'fair'. Any chance you might consider going back to the old system? Or go 'down'on the points awarded to a max of 25 for the first rider in?

By the way:

1. What does 'Points TBC' mean?
2. Out of curiousity, is the new scoring for the TDU reflective of the actual points in the real race? Is that the way points are awarded during the real race?
3. I wish we could have just 4 domestiques, instead of 5.
4. FOR THREE WEEK RACES: I actually miss the limits based on rider type. I woudn't mind if you could only choose ONE sprinter a day and ONE GC guy a day.

I'll wait and see how it pans out, but I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks, though, it's a beautiful design and a fun game!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

98 comments

Gkam84 replied to fico | 12 years ago
0 likes
fico wrote:

I was searching for Cantwell to add him as a rider. I typed in 'can' and my only result was 'Ryder Hesjedal'.

Because Hesjedal is Canadian, i think the system is set up to pick up nationality's first over names, so typing AUS, will give you the Australians

mia | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm a little lost on the site. How could I get to see the overall competition results for the Tour Down Under and Qatar? I can only find the overall results for the Tour of Oman. Is there a place where you can see the rankings for these previous competitions, or are they "buried" and irretrieveable? Just wondering... I'm pretty new at this  1 Thanks!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

they're a bit buried at the mo.

they'll be unearthed soon though, now i've got a couple of weeks to do some tweaks  1

fico replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
orli wrote:

Dave, for the leagues... you [can] see your rank within the league, but not [your rank in the] overall competition (TDU). Could you add a column that also indicates the rank within the overall for the competition?... Thanks!  1

dave_atkinson wrote:

Yes, I would think so. I'll have a look...

Dave, I think I like the idea of having a column showing how many points you are behind the leader in the current competition and in the overall... Not just for particular leagues... What do you think?... I think I might like it just to decide if I want to make a riskier move or not... Would you consider it?... Thanks!  1 Fun game! Though I suck at it! No. 577 in Oman!  2

Yorkshie Whippet | 12 years ago
0 likes

Is there an option/league for those who wish to choose a dream team and not carry out any transfers. I'd love to have two teams, one fixed on Stage 1 of a Tour and another I could play about with.

Cheers.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I agree, 20 points is an extremely high price to pay, particularly outside of the classics where the points on offer are considerably lower per stage. If it were under 10 points there might be a tactical advantage to taking extra transfers, around 10 points it'd be fairly neutral and over 15 points I think it becomes too much of a risk to use.

I can however see the point of the 20 point limit, any lower and there's the real possibilty with GC/KM/PC standings points on offer than you can pretty much recoup those points straight away and get even more over the subsequent stages. At least at 20 you're losing out for two stages before you breakeven on a 1st place GC rider.

I have used one extra transfer during the P-N and didn't get it right losing out on those 20 points plus the extra I might have got from my original pick.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

I don't think the 20 points for an extra transfer will ever (!) pay off.

I've used it twice. once it paid off, once it didn't  39

it's meant to be something that's available to you if you really feel like you've messed up. maybe it is too high and we'll look at it for next year, but for this season the rules won't be changing.

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've used it once in the Tour of Qatar to bring in Cav but it didn't work that great so not used it since. I did it mainly to see how it felt and if it might work.

I suppose it might be worth it in the Classics given the big points on offer for 1,2,3 but there are 4 transfers and DSs haven't done great so far in any case. I've chosen star riders who should be good for a couple if not all three races and although I might have one DS who is very unlikely to score in the Tour of Flanders I wouldn't waste points on changing him.

In a Tour it might still be worth it after stage one if you wanted to bring in someone high in 'table' points after a prologue, or if you definitely wanted an extra sprinter or climber you were 'sure' were going to score and they had some 'table' points as well to offset the risk.

If the penalty were lowered next year it might be more of a tactical factor, but with transfers rolling over and good planning I think it unlikely I'll be using it again.

Are there any statistics you could give us Dave on how many people have taken penalty points and what is the average gain or loss?

paco replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

You can have extra transfers... but it'll cost you points

Messed up your team and really, REALLY want to make three transfers when there's only two available? Now you can. It's going to cost you though, 20 points per transfer off your stage total... There's more points available for a stage win though, so you never know - it could pay off...

I don't think the 20 points for an extra transfer will ever (!) pay off. Here's a few things I would suggest:

1. Maybe you could drop the cost of extra transfers to 10 ponts? Maybe for an experimental period during the Classics?

1. Maybe you could offer unlimited transfers - a total reset of your squad - for maybe 30 or 40 points? You'd be taking yourself out of contention for a stage win, but you might hope you'd get yourself back in contention for one of the competitions...

I wish I could do either of these right now... especially since I really (!) screwed up my Classics squad!

Maybe next year?

By the way, is there any way to find out if anyone has used it - the extra transfers?

On another note, since I'm so ignorant about these things, how do you bold words while you're on the forum?

By the way, this was funny!:

Quote:

Crap, I, too, went overboard on my transfers!

dave_atkinson wrote:

that wasn't you racking up 140 penalty points was it?  19

dave atkinson replied to Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

Are there any statistics you could give us Dave on how many people have taken penalty points and what is the average gain or loss?

so far 30,220 penalty points have been racked up, so just over 1,500 penalty transfers from 3,000 users over 28 stages

can't tell you how things panned out for them though. and quite a portion of those penalty points are from people who clearly didn't read the rules or pay attention to the big red numbers. you can argue over whether 20 points on a stage is a worthwile bet, but 140 points clearly isn't  4

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. It adds an interesting extra element but if quite a few of those are mistakes then it's not being used much it would appear.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I like the idea of transfers being stored up and processed on the deadline eliminating any possible advantage people might get from not having anything better to do at 10am on a weekday morning  19

Free transfers for grey riders I don't agree with. Under normal circumstances (ie a 3 week tour) if you pick a rider who then pulls out that's just bad luck, but getting a free transfer might make it preferable to pick greyed out riders as it stores up a free transfer for down the line, ie pick a grey cheap DS and two or three stages in once you know the GC standings you can transfer someone in who's getting points without using up one of your two normal transfers.

In the run up to the end of last season I suggested having a reset button for your team which resets all of your transfers made for that stage, that might have the same effect as storing transfers up for the deadline and require less work to implement. Or, you could just be patient and wait until closer to the deadline  4

enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but...

I was trying to save time and set up my squad early so I used up my 4 transfers already.

I selected Vladimir Isaychev and when I checked my squad today, he's grayed out - unavailable. I realize most people wait for start lists to be finalized as close to race start as possible and know I made a mistake, but (!) I was wondering if the team could play around with some ideas:

1. Could we have transfers charged at the start of a race? Meaning I could make all the changes I want to make to my squad, save them in the game, but only be charged when the race proper starts? I could get messages saying, "These transfers will take effect at the start of the next stage. You have made 4 transfers from your last team" or something like that.

You could mark the rider that has been transferred in with a little green button or something that indicates that a transfer has been made in that slot. Does that make sense? I know I'm complicating things!  1

2. The other option I can think of, is that we get a free transfer for any 'grayed out' riders we selected IF (!) we're replacing them BEFORE the start of a stage [race].

I know this would take a lot of programming so I don't have the hope they'll be implemented, but either of these solutions would offer those of us who don't want to wait to the last minute to enter our teams a chance to play with a little less pressure. Any thoughts? Thanks!

enrique replied to drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Free transfers for grey riders I don't agree with...

I agree. I just edited my comment because I meant that you could substitute a 'grayed out' rider only in the run in to a race, say, before the start of a Grand Tour, not after it has already started.

drheaton wrote:

... I suggested having a reset button for your team... that might have the same effect as storing transfers up for the deadline and require less work to implement...

I like that idea. I think it would work. That way you could make all the changes you want to your team but if you hit the reset button before the start of a stage you could fix your team with no penalties. I guess part of what I don't like is having to store my 'transitional' team somewher other than on the game interface.

I still like this idea, though:

enrique wrote:

... You could mark the rider that has been transferred in with a little green button or something that indicates that a transfer has been made in that slot.

That way, if you wanted to, you could see which riders you would be charged a transfer for by race deadline.

fico replied to paco | 12 years ago
0 likes
paco wrote:

1. Maybe you could offer unlimited transfers - a total reset of your squad - for maybe 30 or 40 points?...

I'd say for a 100 points!  1

TERatcliffe26 replied to enrique | 12 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Free transfers for grey riders I don't agree with...

I agree. I just edited my comment because I meant that you could substitute a 'grayed out' rider only in the run in to a race, say, before the start of a Grand Tour, not after it has already started.

You can do that anyway for a normal race (whenever transfers are unlimited), the only reason you cant now is due to the fact that the classics are all individual stages but part of the same competition and are thus not one day after another.

In my opinion if you change early that is your loss and shouldnt have the chance to remake the change. I know exactly the transfers i want to make but will wait until the night befoer to do so just in case.

On your storing up of rider changes, what if you change your mind? should you then be allowed to change. I couldnt imagine making transfers until i knew how the previous stage had panned out. (its just a wierd situation with the classics as they are not continuous but are part of the same comp)

drheaton replied to TERatcliffe26 | 12 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

(its just a wierd situation with the classics as they are not continuous but are part of the same comp)

Agreed, alot of these issues aren't as relevant in the larger tours but still come up, there's nothing more frustrating than transferring someone in at 10pm only for them to abandon the race overnight.

As someone who works full time though I don't have a great deal of access to the game in the mornings so I have to make my changes early meaning effectively I'm sometimes penalised for being busy.

TERatcliffe26 replied to drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

(its just a wierd situation with the classics as they are not continuous but are part of the same comp)

Agreed, alot of these issues aren't as relevant in the larger tours but still come up, there's nothing more frustrating than transferring someone in at 10pm only for them to abandon the race overnight.

As someone who works full time though I don't have a great deal of access to the game in the mornings so I have to make my changes early meaning effectively I'm sometimes penalised for being busy.

Yeh i guess that is frustrating, been in that situation myself due to being busy, but in terms of stacking up transfers i still liek to wait till the previous stage is finished, then more often than not do them then

yourpaceormine | 12 years ago
0 likes

The way a lot of the early season races have gone (crashes, illness, weather) it would be a big achievement to 'finish' a tour with a full team. Bonus points for this (for purists only, otherwise it wouldn't work)?

paco replied to paco | 11 years ago
0 likes
paco wrote:

3. Consider that if transfers can be rolled over, then maybe we can "borrow" against them so there no penalties, unless you consume MORE than the 20 or so transfers we get in Grand Tours...

Dave just wanted to bounce this idea again for next year... I think a lot of transfers go to waste, for example after rest days... Maybe next year we can "borrow" transfers from our transfer account... And use them at our discretion?  1

Another idea I had was if we could set up something like we have for buying extra transfers with penalty points... Could we toy around with the idea of going over budget for a few points? Maybe charge 20 points for going up to 5 credits over budget? I don't know, it's just frustrating to not be able to get a rider because he's 0.1 points over the budget!  1 In real life I guess a DS would go get another sponsor!  1

Thanks! Great game!  1 Looking forward to the Tour!...

enrique replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I like the idea of transfers being stored up and processed on the deadline eliminating any possible advantage people might get from not having anything better to do at 10am on a weekday...

I was thinking about this... Could we possibly add, some day,  1 a reset button, like the one before you confirm your transfers, which would reset you to your team of the day before? I think it'd be a great idea! That way if you decided later in the day you wanted to change your team you could revert to your original team and make your transfers the way you want to... and still not go over your transfer limit...

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

How many times are you going to ask for a reset button??

Its not a good idea and hopefully there will never be a reset button.

orli replied to enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:

That way you could make all the changes you want to your team but if you hit the reset button before the start of a stage you could fix your team with no penalties...

Well... I agree! : ) I think it's damn fine idea! I've wanted to change my mind a dozen times after I've made transfers!  3

By the way, Dave, I was wondering if you would still consider the idea below. Thanks!  1

orli wrote:

Dave, for the leagues, once you're looking at the rankings, you see your rank within the league, but not where all the league members rank in the overall competition (TDU). Could you add a column that also indicates the rank within the overall for the competition? I think it'd be fun. Thanks!  1

dave_atkinson wrote:

yes, i would think so. i'll have a look at that.

I know on our Team page we can choose "This" competition or "Overall" but I was thinking maybe they could both be on one page...

enrique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dave, I've got another idea, which I have to acknowledge is cool, but probably a lot of programming... I was wondering if , when you look at your trasnefr history, you could do like it's done in the league and scoring pages, thatis, when you click on your score you get a pop-up showing your team that day... is that already avaiable anywhere else?... Thanks!  1

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

for discussion: what would people think of a set number of transfers for a tour?

for instance, in the TDF right now everyone's getting... (does maths in head)... 44. i think. 20 stages' worth, with 2 extra on each rest day.

so instead of that maybe just have a set number of transfers, 40 maybe. You can use them whenever you want, and when they're gone, they're gone. no penalty transfers, no resets, no refunds. 40 and that's your lot.

better? worse? not for this year, just thinking about next year.

other changes mentioned above: you'll probably see some of them. nothing's going to change right in the middle of the tour though, sorry, got enough on my plate  22

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

YES, a set number of transfers with no penalty's. Once they are gone thats your lot.....BUT, less that 40, make it a challenge, not just working out 2 per stage.

So 30 might be better, you'll have to pick and choose when to use them and when to stick with your guys.

Hopefully something can change, This TdF has been slightly boring in game and on TV. I don't know if its the lack of much happening in the race thats related to not many people getting involved on the forum's.  39

drheaton replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

for discussion: what would people think of a set number of transfers for a tour?

for instance, in the TDF right now everyone's getting... (does maths in head)... 44. i think. 20 stages' worth, with 2 extra on each rest day.

so instead of that maybe just have a set number of transfers, 40 maybe. You can use them whenever you want, and when they're gone, they're gone. no penalty transfers, no resets, no refunds. 40 and that's your lot.

That's roughly how the Halfords game works (except you get 7 for the week ahead) and I have to say that it's much less involved that the road.cc game and less interesting. The only benefits I can see are

1) potentially simpler for new people coming in
2) less time intensive if you know you don't have to/can't afford to make changes everyday
3) gives you the option to totally overhaul your team if you get it wrong at any point

all those are fine but not really beneficial to the game, 1 & 2 are great for new people but it simplifies the game for existing players and 3 is a blessing in disguise as making transfers early screws you later on.

Personally I like the game as it is, two transfers a day makes you think about every stage and come back to make changes every day. 30-40 transfers for the tour means that in the first week this year everyone would make 4/5 transfers ahead of the first of three sprint stages then leave their teams as they were. Everyone would have a full sprint team instead of some still stuck with TTers etc and there'd be less tactical nous going into planning changes or working the sprinters into your team.

You'd end up with clumps of transfers when the terrain changed and everyone having a team that works instead of people having to plan ahead of time or think through their changes and how they'll affect things down the line. So, in my opinion, it'd make the game easier and less interesting rather than as Gkam said, making it more difficult.

dave_atkinson wrote:

better? worse? not for this year, just thinking about next year.

Where's the idea come from and what exactly are you trying to fix/improve with the change?

northstar | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Personally I like the game as it is, two transfers a day makes you think about every stage and come back to make changes every day. 30-40 transfers for the tour means that in the first week this year everyone would make 4/5 transfers ahead of the first of three sprint stages then leave their teams as they were. Everyone would have a full sprint team instead of some still stuck with TTers etc and there'd be less tactical nous going into planning changes or working the sprinters into your team.

I agree with this, I think it's fine as it is - would it be possible to give people the option of having the normal 2 transfers everyday or take the 40 option at the start of every major tour? Sounds tricky to implement though.

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Where's the idea come from and what exactly are you trying to fix/improve with the change?

just exploring options. there's a whole bunch of ways to run a fantasy game  1

drheaton replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
drheaton wrote:

just exploring options. there's a whole bunch of ways to run a fantasy game  1

Aye, I know  1 was just curious what you were hoping to acheive with the change, if it's just a change for the sake of changing the game or looking to improve then I say leave it as it is, it's growing year on year and it's a great alternative to the dumbed down version the Halfords game offers.

Pages

Latest Comments