Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Electric Vehicles - Red Herring?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

47 comments

Philh68 replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
3 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

I don't think the growth in EVs will lead to more fossil fuels being used in electricity generation as the charging can easily be scheduled for off peak times when electricity is often in surplus and when CO2 emisions per KWh are the lowest. Batteries and electric motors are being improved all the time and electricity generation is getting less CO2 intensive every year. That together with improved efficiency in EV manufacture will tip the argument decisively in favour of EVs in the next few years.

you have that backwards, I suspect because you don’t understand how grid generation works. There is not a surplus of generation in off peak. What happens is that the baseload, which is the minimum constant demand for electricity, is met almost entirely by thermal generation run at close to peak efficiency levels. It’s usually the cheapest form of power. Above that we add generation that is more easily varied to suit the grid demand, but are more expensive forms of generation. At the top are peaking generators, often piston engined generators running gas or diesel, that only get used in times of extreme demand.

off peak is cheap not because there’s an excess of generation but because the demand isn’t there to require the use of more expensive forms of generation. If you add EV charging at night, when renewable output is usually lower, you increase the use of on demand fossil fuel generation like gas turbines to meet the increased demand, raising CO2 level and the cost. The amount of increase depends on the kind of generation used, it’s less variable in the UK but in Germany the CO2 per kWh can more than double at night. The optimal time to charge an EV is during the day when renewables are strongest.

EV efficiency improvement is almost zero. When electric motors have long been above 90 percent efficient there is little improvement to make. Batteries have improved but the benefits are being squandered by trying to extend range, and by building larger more profitable vehicles which are less efficient due to mass and drag and excessive performance. A 2.5 tonne electric SUV isn’t advancing us anywhere, but that’s what Audi and Mercedes and Jaguar and Tesla would have us use.

Rich_cb replied to Philh68 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Philh68 wrote:

you have that backwards, I suspect because you don’t understand how grid generation works. There is not a surplus of generation in off peak. What happens is that the baseload, which is the minimum constant demand for electricity, is met almost entirely by thermal generation run at close to peak efficiency levels. It’s usually the cheapest form of power. Above that we add generation that is more easily varied to suit the grid demand, but are more expensive forms of generation. At the top are peaking generators, often piston engined generators running gas or diesel, that only get used in times of extreme demand.

off peak is cheap not because there’s an excess of generation but because the demand isn’t there to require the use of more expensive forms of generation. If you add EV charging at night, when renewable output is usually lower, you increase the use of on demand fossil fuel generation like gas turbines to meet the increased demand, raising CO2 level and the cost. The amount of increase depends on the kind of generation used, it’s less variable in the UK but in Germany the CO2 per kWh can more than double at night. The optimal time to charge an EV is during the day when renewables are strongest.

EV efficiency improvement is almost zero. When electric motors have long been above 90 percent efficient there is little improvement to make. Batteries have improved but the benefits are being squandered by trying to extend range, and by building larger more profitable vehicles which are less efficient due to mass and drag and excessive performance. A 2.5 tonne electric SUV isn’t advancing us anywhere, but that’s what Audi and Mercedes and Jaguar and Tesla would have us use.

You're wrong.

CO2 intensity in the UK is lowest at night.

Data is here: https://carbonintensity.org.uk/

Wind output in the UK is stronger in early evening/night peaking at about 1800-2000. Wind makes up a far larger share than solar (Which is obviously stronger in the day.) Wind capacity is growing rapidly so the evening/night peaks will have an even greater effect on the CO2 intensity and price in the future.

Data is here: https://carboncounter.wordpress.com/2015/07/10/are-wind-farms-more-produ...

If you added a huge amount of demand to the grid at night you may need to start using 'peaker' plants but it would still be less carbon intensive than doing so during the day.

EV efficiency is improving.

Article here: https://electrek.co/2019/11/18/tesla-efficiency-increasing-3-year/

Griff500 replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
3 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

You're wrong. .......

Wind output in the UK is stronger in early evening/night peaking at about 1800-2000. Wind makes up a far larger share than solar (Which is obviously stronger in the day.) Wind capacity is growing rapidly so the evening/night peaks/

Yet your own referenced data shows that wind output peaks in late afternoon (17:00) in the UK, is well past peak by the supposed start of your "18:00 - 20:00" peak, and these "night peaks" of which you speak are a red herring. 

Having said that, even your own referenced data from a researcher at Strathclyde Uni, and averaged over a year, differs markedly from a more comprehensive 34 years worth of data published by Oxford, and which accounts for seasonal variation (your reference admits to this omission) which you will find here. https://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/downloads/sinden06-windresource.pdf

And which shows the daily peak at 14:00 for most of the year, and typically has dropped by 1/3 by your supposed "18:00 - 20:00" peak!

This is actually quite convenient as UK electricity consumption peaks in late afternoon, just as wind is at its peak, and is at a minimum in early morning (4:00) when wind output is at a minimum.  

OK, so why the difference between the Strathclyde data and the Oxford data ? Well the answer is in your own paper. Your paper shows data for 3 different years, 2011, 12 and 13. 2013 is clearly different. The 2011 and 2012 data from your own paper fits closely with the Oxford 34 year average, showing peak at 14:30, and significant evening drop off. It is the 2013 data, which shows unrepresentative  evening performance (by the standards of the 3 datasets presented) which you chose to illustrate a bogus point. Andy even then, you misrepresented the time of the peak. Pretty shabby!

Rich_cb replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Griff500 wrote:

Yet your own referenced data shows that wind output peaks in late afternoon (17:00) in the UK, is well past peak by the supposed start of your "18:00 - 20:00" peak, and these "night peaks" of which you speak are a red herring. 

Having said that, even your own referenced data from a researcher at Strathclyde Uni, and averaged over a year, differs markedly from a more comprehensive 34 years worth of data published by Oxford, and which accounts for seasonal variation (your reference admits to this omission) which you will find here. https://www.eci.ox.ac.uk/publications/downloads/sinden06-windresource.pdf

And which shows the daily peak at 14:00 for most of the year, and typically has dropped by 1/3 by your supposed "18:00 - 20:00" peak!

This is actually quite convenient as UK electricity consumption peaks in late afternoon, just as wind is at its peak, and is at a minimum in early morning (4:00) when wind output is at a minimum.  

OK, so why the difference between the Strathclyde data and the Oxford data ? Well the answer is in your own paper. Your paper shows data for 3 different years, 2011, 12 and 13. 2013 is clearly different. The 2011 and 2012 data from your own paper fits closely with the Oxford 34 year average, showing peak at 14:30, and significant evening drop off. It is the 2013 data, which shows unrepresentative  evening performance (by the standards of the 3 datasets presented) which you chose to illustrate a bogus point. Andy even then, you misrepresented the time of the peak. Pretty shabby!

Your paper looks at onshore wind speed. The data I referenced looks at overall wind power.

Given that most new wind capacity is now built offshore your data is not necessarily relevant.

The peak time for wind power varies considerably between regions so it seems reasonable that it would also vary between an onshore measuring point and a distant off shore wind farm.

As off shore capacity is being added rapidly it may be that the 2013 data represents a shift in peak generation time caused by new off shore capacity or it may be a blip.

Either way it doesn't change the fundamental point that night time EV charging is less CO2 intensive than day time charging.

Griff500 replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
2 likes
Rich_cb wrote:
Griff500 wrote:

Your paper looks at onshore wind speed. The data I referenced looks at overall wind power.

Given that most new wind capacity is now built offshore your data is not necessarily relevant.

The peak time for wind power varies considerably between regions so it seems reasonable that it would also vary between an onshore measuring point and a distant off shore wind farm.

As off shore capacity is being added rapidly it may be that the 2013 data represents a shift in peak generation time caused by new off shore capacity or it may be a blip.

Either way it doesn't change the fundamental point that night time EV charging is less CO2 intensive than day time charging.

You've missed the point. The peak wind speed acceding to the paper YOU referenced is not where you said it is. You said the peak was between 18:00 and 20:00. It isn't for any of the 3 years the paper discusses. 2 of the years peak at 14:30. The 3rd at 17:00. YOUR data does not support YOUR argument, not even 2013. The peak of your graph is not where you said it is. Learn to read a graph, then your argument may have more credibility.

Rich_cb replied to Griff500 | 4 years ago
0 likes
Griff500 wrote:

You've missed the point. The peak wind speed acceding to the paper YOU referenced is not where you said it is. You said the peak was between 18:00 and 20:00. It isn't for any of the 3 years the paper discusses. 2 of the years peak at 14:30. The 3rd at 17:00. YOUR data does not support YOUR argument, not even 2013. The peak of your graph is not where you said it is. Learn to read a graph, then your argument may have more credibility.

The point was, and remains, that EV charging is best done at night. That was the entire basis of this discussion in the first place. Whether the peak is at 1700 or 1800 doesn't change that.

kt26 replied to CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
2 likes

CyclingInBeastMode wrote:

Now if they were to knock out a Sinclair stylie vehicle similar to the one I pictured above Or the Iris E Trike, made it in the UK, made it free from all the weighty crud as the ETrike is (hence 55kg incl battery) that would change the balance of a viable/covered transport mode for up to 20-25 miles each way then that would smash the argument out of sight. 

Not made in the UK (Norway), but this is set to go into production next year:

https://www.podbike.com/en/

Kendalred replied to kt26 | 4 years ago
2 likes

kt26 wrote:

Now if they were to knock out a Sinclair stylie vehicle similar to the one I pictured above Or the Iris E Trike, made it in the UK, made it free from all the weighty crud as the ETrike is (hence 55kg incl battery) that would change the balance of a viable/covered transport mode for up to 20-25 miles each way then that would smash the argument out of sight. 

Dear Santa,

If you're listening, I have been a very good boy this year, and...

I WANT ONE OF THESE!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Okay - Christmas next year will do.

CyclingInBeastMode replied to Kendalred | 4 years ago
0 likes

kt26 wrote:

It looks alright but has over engineered wheels that are costly and weighty, I don't want something that comes to me automatically/beck and call, that means more weight, more gadgetry/stuff to go wrong and simply isn't needed, it's a gimmick. I can't say I like the gearless motor in the wheels, again, more unecessary weight and tech, a simple bike derailleur system would work just fine and is hugely adpatable/cheap.

Also If we are to get people to move the medium range distances then we need to conider having a vehicle that can go faster than 16mph under its own power, that's why something like the Iris Etrike would be more preferable at 25mph and yes if you are to have this option (or even faster) then requiring insurance etc

I do like that it has luggage/child seat option however, that is the one big plus over the Etrike, another thing to save weight/cost would be fabrics as the exterior instead of polycarbonates.

All the problems are that none of them including the podbike (or podride from Sweden) are currently actually selling models. I was interested initially in the IRIS Etrike by Sinclair but it simply didn't look like people were going to get anything for their money and production dates have been pushed back years and there has so far been no actual models handed out though a test ride by an 'early bird' investor occured in May nothing else has happened.

hawkinspeter replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
2 likes

vonhelmet wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:
vonhelmet wrote:

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles? It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

Don't forget about the extra air pollution that older vehicles produce.

Do you mean older as in older designs or older as in more worn ie less efficient? Either way, let's do some back of an envelope maths. Googling suggests a Volvo 240 (very old) has co2 emissions of about 180g/km. Let's assume we'd got a knackered one and it does, I dunno, 300. Googling suggests an electric car causes 9 tonnes of co2 emissions in its production. You could drive the 240 for another 30,000 miles before the electric car had even been built. I can't be arsed doing the maths to work out when the electric car breaks even but I bet it's moon miles and it may in fact be impossible if you have to replace the batteries at astronomical cost before you get there. If you mean other nasty emissions besides co2 then that's a trickier one, yes.

I meant older designs and specifically the nasty emissions other than CO2 though I do agree with you about the reasons to keep an old car running. From a selfish point of view, I'd prefer the old cars to be off the road to improve air quality which I think is the more immediate problem. It seems that we're only starting to understand the effects of air pollution - have a look at https://patrickcollison.com/pollution for a summary of some cognitive affects of air pollution.

My view is that EVs are a necessary evil but of course a lot of us cyclists realise that the best answer involves a healthy dose of active travel.

OldRidgeback replied to vonhelmet | 4 years ago
3 likes

vonhelmet wrote:

The most economical and ecological thing you can do car wise is run an old reliable car into the ground. The carbon footprint of manufacturing an old car is a sunk cost, so all you have to deal with is the marginal impact of repairs and miles. The impact of manufacturing new cars is vast. What's the impact of mining all that lithium compared to running an old Volvo (other reliable cars are available) to 200,000 miles? It's almost like the car industry is more concerned with selling new cars without regard to their actual lifetime environmental impact.

Better still if you convert it to run on LPG. No particulates at all, and a lot less NOx.

There's a lot to be said for having an old SII or SIII Landrover actually as they can be rebuilt repeatedly (aluminium body panels and a chassis that's easily welded), especially if you run it on LPG.

A big issue for EVs is how and where the minerals for the batteries come from. It's all very well if the minerals come from a big mine in Western Australia with decent safety conditions and pay for the workforce, as well as legislation to prevent the worst environmental contanimation, quite different indeed if they've been sourced from an operation in Africa using child labour in horrendous condtions.

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
4 likes

Car companies and governments are just dragging this idea out like they dragged the diesel idea out. They'll convince people to buy new cars then eventually you need a new gimmick to sell more cars so no doubt we'll then get told that mining stuff like lithium and cobalt is bad (bad, naughty consumers, how dare you!). Hold on, we've got just the technology to buy you're way out of environmental guilt.

The future doesn't look bright for private space. Shared cars and living in pods. Dystopia moves ever nearer.

hawkinspeter replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
2 likes

Rick_Rude wrote:

Car companies and governments are just dragging this idea out like they dragged the diesel idea out. They'll convince people to buy new cars then eventually you need a new gimmick to sell more cars so no doubt we'll then get told that mining stuff like lithium and cobalt is bad (bad, naughty consumers, how dare you!). Hold on, we've got just the technology to buy you're way out of environmental guilt.

The future doesn't look bright for private space. Shared cars and living in pods. Dystopia moves ever nearer.

I'll have you know that I'm a fan of dystopian fiction - I grew up reading loads of John Wyndham scifi and often wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been filmed (excepting Village of the Damned, Chocky, Day of the Triffids etc). I reckon it's about time for a Netflix/Amazon series of The Kraken Wakes.

Alternatively, we could just turn the world into a dystopian nightmare as quick as we can.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rick_Rude wrote:

I'll have you know that I'm a fan of dystopian fiction - I grew up reading loads of John Wyndham scifi and often wonder why more of his stuff hasn't been filmed (excepting Village of the Damned, Chocky, Day of the Triffids etc). I reckon it's about time for a Netflix/Amazon series of The Kraken Wakes.

Alternatively, we could just turn the world into a dystopian nightmare as quick as we can.

Maybe that's actually what's happening right now? (rising sea levels, hmm...?).

massive4x4 | 4 years ago
4 likes

Some sensible policy suggestions at the end but mostly car hate in tone with a certain amount of BS claims E.g.

"Electric cars are heaver and thus likely to generate more brake dust", which runs counter to the lived experiance of Tesla owners who are finding that the brakes last the lifetime of the car)

or

Charging infrastructure blah blah, Tesla have shown that around one fast charger for every 150-200 cars is perfectly fine for long distance travel and such a rate of build was easily sustainable from the revenue for those 150-200 cars. Likewise on street charging for the nation puts out some massive numbers but on a per house or per car level spread over 10 years are pretty trival expenses.

Articles of this tone won't convince drivers and passengers who are pretty much the largest demographic in the country and it won't convince politicians who mostly practice followership. A more sensible position would be to sell drivers on the positives of EV adoption with cavaets such as:

• EV's will be cheaper and reduce greenhouse emissions but:
  • We'd like you share them rather than own them
  • We'd like to pair them with road pricing to drive sharing them, this will mean that you won't be sitting in traffic.
  • To get the traffic flowing better we'd also prefer it if you let the car drive itself
  • Since you don't own it or drive it it doesn't need to stay outside your house, why not walk to the end of your road to pick it up, this means that your children can play outside and all these suburban roads can be excellent cycle networks. 

With regards off board air pollution, the UK grid was more than 50% low carbon last year it was 20% low carbon 10 years ago. On and offshore wind is currently bidding at "subsidy free" levels (it does get a subsidy in that the grid must take its power which pushes up prices for other providers by lowering their capacity factors) which is why we aren't building out more CCGT plants.

We will build wind out until we start hitting curtailment (too much wind/solar at peak times), at this point the decision will be between building out more wind and accepting it costs more due to lower capacity factor or adding wind/solar and storage or adding nuclear beyond simply replacing our existing plants. This will be an economic (in the exception of nuclear) decision.

The national grid has sensible plans for a net zero emissions grid by 2050 and they are perfectly aware of electric vehicles.

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
3 likes

Thanks ktache - that's a good summary of the points.

@CyclingInBeastMode - I didn't know Labour were thinking of doing that. Seems like a poor idea to me unless they can ensure that the subsidies only go to people who would otherwise be driving ICE vehicles and would need the money. It seems to me that a lot of the EV promotion is aimed at people with a reasonable income and is almost a status symbol. As much as I would prefer each ICE vehicle to be replaced with an EV (if only for reduction in pollution), it perpetuates the road building/driving mindset and ignores the benefits of practical public transport and active travel.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like all our politicians are just fiddling while Rome (the world) burns?

CyclingInBeastMode | 4 years ago
2 likes

Been saying this for a while, Corbyn is backing using tax payers money to help fund EVs for all with free loans, frankly it's a disgrace that Labour are backing this crap 'solution'!

Currently at the very least 40% of the UKs electricty is produced through burning fossil fuels, that would increase as EVs become more numerous as it would out-strip increases in renewables, which in themselves cause more pollutoon from being built and so many of them are unreliable. We could have tidal using the great rivers but various governments have poo-pood the idea - the last plan I heard about was around the time of the UK going for the 2012 Olympic games and the cost of a tidal barrier at the Severn was about the cost of hosting he Olympics. The government could have produced about 6% of the nations energy requirement at the time which would be an even larger % as overall energy use has gone down.

All that said storage is the massive problem, having millions of small batteries connected (within motors) is deemed to be the solution for that, ignoring the pollution and cost of getting all the infra rolled out at the cost of hundreds of billions, even just having charging ports everywhere is going to cost an absolutely ridiculous amount of money reduce the space available such that cycle lanes and footways will be narrowed or not be fitted in because there'll need to be charging ports along every single effing road in the country pretty much, especially in residential and built up areas.

EV promotion ignores so many problems from backing it, never mind the cost to human life from not getting people out of motors.

Something like this as an electric assist that could be used for longer journeys would pique my interest, however it'd need its own solar panels/heat absorbing materials to produce energy and have the capacity to carry luggage or even a normal bike, lose the fancy wheels and extra crap that adds weight.

It's the weight of EVs that kills the range and EVs are ridiculously heavy not just due to abtteries but because of all the added tech, safety aids and many other such bollocks. With the most effecient speed for EVs being circa 18mph, that would be another reason why we should have 20 mph zones standard across all built up areas.

Pages

Latest Comments