Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mud on the road – irresponsible farmers

Living in a rural area provides some great riding experiences, but the one thing I really hate at this time of year is the amount mud deposited on the roads from tractors. Its bad enough in the wet when it becomes a mud bath, but if allowed to dry the deposits are potential hazards to anything on two wheels (I’ve almost come a cropper on more than one occasion).  A quick Google reveals that under the Highways Act 1980 it is an offence for farmers (or anyone else for that matter) to deposit mud and other things on the highway (S148), which could result in prosecution and a fine.   Given that this is a regular occurrence where I live, the tractors clearly aren’t being cleaned properly as they should before taking to public roads, but I wouldn’t even know where to begin with regards raising it with someone.  Anyone else ever had this problem?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

HoarseMann replied to kil0ran | 4 years ago
2 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Most tractors are limited to 30mph so overtaking a road cyclist is tricky, particularly on tight country lanes. I tend to pull over and let them past, otherwise you just end up with a tractor plus a huge queue of pissed off drivers behind it.

Yep, I pulled over for one of these when I saw it approaching in my mirror the other day. Possibly the most intimidating vehicle I've ever seen!

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
2 likes

All the time problem near me as we have loads of small farms, most of which don't give a toss about this. One puts up cardboard signs on a stick. Literally a large stick with brown cardboard and some marker pen. Of course this is near invisible even in daylight.

Annoying on a bicycle, potentially deadly on a motorbike.

ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

For me at the moment, it was the torrential downpours of late, that flooded the roads with water that when that went, left the filth.

Some of the hilly bridleways were stripped to pebbly and chalk riverbeds, with pools of silt and horse poop in sections.

Pages

Latest Comments