Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro d’Italia

Thought i’d try an early post for some pre race thoughts...so i’ll Start..

https://www.cyclingstage.com/giro-2019-route/

Loving the last stage....for some of us  old timers it’s like Laurent Fignon all over again. Do we approve?..or do we like the procession and sprint?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

261 comments

MinardiM189 replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

All in for sprinters today -

ACKERMANN
VIVIANI
GAVIRIA
EWAN
DEMARE
CIMOLAI
HALLER
LONARDI

Bugger, Lonardi didn't quite make last place. indecision

Guzzibear | 4 years ago
0 likes

Anyone else had issues with the Fantasy Team selection for stage 1 ?  I selected my team last night watched the race unfold and was delighted that I had the winner in my team only to find I had no score today and no team.  Anyone else suffered this too?

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Mmm....2nd in the season competition and 2nd in the purist competition....I can see a pattern developing.

Well done Gecko...back on top in the purist.

Gecko-cyclist replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes
Dr Winston wrote:

Mmm....2nd in the season competition and 2nd in the purist competition....I can see a pattern developing.

Thanks Dr. I wish I had your consistency in both!

Theres a lot of points to play for until Verona so the lead could keep changing. My only sprinter is Lonardi. I expect to drop like a stone for a week but fingers crossed the gc boys stay safe and I bounce back or my strategy is right up the swanny...

Dr Winston replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Thanks Dr. I wish I had your consistency in both! Theres a lot of points to play for until Verona so the lead could keep changing. My only sprinter is Lonardi. I expect to drop like a stone for a week but fingers crossed the gc boys stay safe and I bounce back or my strategy is right up the swanny...

Thanks Gecko...but not true....next year i’m changing my name to Dr Yo-Yo....You, me, Minardi, Andy, Tony and everybody else all go through big drops and then rise back up. The game has been kind to me this past month but it’ll bite me again soon enough.

On reflection I think you’ve called it right for this race (I think I may have wrote it further up before it started) but I really didn’t think many players would be brave enough to backload as much as you have....I seriously think you may win this one if they all stay upright. Two or three of the few sprinter stages may turn out to be nothing of the sort....which will help you enormously...and well worth the gamble.

MikaelLie replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Gecko-cyclist wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

Thanks Dr. I wish I had your consistency in both! Theres a lot of points to play for until Verona so the lead could keep changing. My only sprinter is Lonardi. I expect to drop like a stone for a week but fingers crossed the gc boys stay safe and I bounce back or my strategy is right up the swanny...

Thanks Gecko...but not true....next year i’m changing my name to Dr Yo-Yo....You, me, Minardi, Andy, Tony and everybody else all go through big drops and then rise back up. The game has been kind to me this past month but it’ll bite me again soon enough.

On reflection I think you’ve called it right for this race (I think I may have wrote it further up before it started) but I really didn’t think many players would be brave enough to backload as much as you have....I seriously think you may win this one if they all stay upright. Two or three of the few sprinter stages may turn out to be nothing of the sort....which will help you enormously...and well worth the gamble.

It’s the 1st time im playing in here, so I dont know the scoringsystem well enough. But this is my purist team:

Primoz Roglic
Elia Viviani
Simon Yates
Ilnur Zakarin                                                                            Bob Jungels
Ivan Ramiro Sosa
Vincenzo Nibali
Tony Gallopin   

Dr Winston replied to MikaelLie | 4 years ago
0 likes

MikaelLie wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Gecko-cyclist wrote:
Dr Winston wrote:

It’s the 1st time im playing in here, so I dont know the scoringsystem well enough. But this is my purist team:

Primoz Roglic
Elia Viviani
Simon Yates
Ilnur Zakarin                                                                            Bob Jungels
Ivan Ramiro Sosa
Vincenzo Nibali
Tony Gallopin   

Excellent. Thin first half but a strong second half coming your way.

Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'll get the scores up soon, awaiting a decision as to whether Nishimura was OTL, as that'll effect things.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

A very poor 29th for Izagirre, he’s better than that....Must have had an off day.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

A very poor 29th for Izagirre, he’s better than that....Must have had an off day.

Saving energy to help Lopez later.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Saving energy to help Lopez later.

They have a fantastic team....and actually he may well have been doing just that. Quite devious some of those teams. Interesting listening to Wiggins today touching on such subjects.

0 likes

Well I'm not going to make many for tomorrow. Too many doubts about how it will finish. I'll make more for stage 3.

0 likes

Not sure Winston, I was out on a ride and missed the start. My team:

Roglic
Dumoulin
Jungels
Izagirre
Campenaerts
Sivakov
Scotson
Bilbao

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Not sure Winston, I was out on a ride and missed the start. My team:

Roglic
Dumoulin
Jungels
Izagirre
Campenaerts
Sivakov
Scotson
Bilbao

Like the Bilbao pick. You’re gonna burn a few transfers fairly early with that team...I didn’t actually do a plan for transfers so i’m Not sure if I could have loaded up more or not...

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

What happened to Izagirre?....I thought this would have suited him...

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Izagirre was 13s down at the bottom of the hill, so must have lost a lot on the hill.

Lopez the surprise of the day, huge result for him. I doubt anyone saw that coming.

Dumoulin & Jungels disappointing.

I think I will regret picking Jungels for my purist team, it was him or Formolo. I went Jungels based on him doing a good ITT today.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Izagirre was 13s down at the bottom of the hill, so must have lost a lot on the hill.

Lopez the surprise of the day, huge result for him. I doubt anyone saw that coming.

I think I will regret picking Jungels for my purist team, it was him or Formolo. I went Jungels based on him doing a good ITT today.

Lopez is going to be very hard to beat now...even Roglic will be worried.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Lopez is going to be very hard to beat now...even Roglic will be worried.

and Yates will be 'shitting' himself.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

What’s your purist team look like Minardi...

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

ROGLIC
YATES S.
DUMOULIN T.
JUNGELS
NIBALI
ZAKARIN
CARTHY
LONARDI

I was considering Formolo for Jungels and Kangert for Zakarin.

IMO Kangert is a very under rated rider & usually consistent.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

ROGLIC
YATES S.
DUMOULIN T.
JUNGELS
NIBALI
ZAKARIN
CARTHY
LONARDI

I was considering Formolo for Jungels and Kangert for Zakarin.

IMO Kangert is a very under rated rider & usually consistent.

nice team up the hills. I think Carthy will do well....he looked very strong last time out. I thought you would have gone for TDG....

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

nice team up the hills. I think Carthy will do well....he looked very strong last time out. I thought you would have gone for TDG....

I very rarely pick TDG in purist.

Also the Giro isn't the best for KoM points , not many riders get points.

Interesting that Ciccone did the whole ITT on a road bike in a non-aero helmet and currently has the best time on today's climb.

Looks like he may be hoping to keep Blue Jersey for 3 weeks.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I very rarely pick TDG in purist.

Also the Giro isn't the best for KoM points , not many riders get points.

Interesting that Ciccone did the whole ITT on a road bike in a non-aero helmet and currently has the best time on today's climb.

Looks like he may be hoping to keep Blue Jersey for 3 weeks.

He’s a great rider waiting to happen.

Who put time into who on the climbs amongst the GC boys?....Lopez must have done really well....

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Who put time into who on the climbs amongst the GC boys?....Lopez must have done really well....

Time on the climb

Ciccone 6:03

Roglic 6:06

Yates 6:07

Majka 6:17

Carthy 6:21

Lopez 6:25

Incredibly Lopez was 11th fastest on the flat section (was he getting a tow from the team car?).

1 like

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Time on the climb

Ciccone 6:03

Roglic 6:06

Yates 6:07

Majka 6:17

Carthy 6:21

Lopez 6:25

Incredibly Lopez was 11th fastest on the flat section (was he getting a tow from the team car?).

That’s way above his norm. Very odd.  

As a Preston lad myself I just posted Carthy’s result on a couple of FB sites...i’ll Add that time to my post. Really good stuff from him. Nobody much in our home town has even heard of him...but they will have by the time I’ve finished.

MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

My team for Stage 1 -

ROGLIC
YATES S.
DUMOULIN T.
JUNGELS
GEOGHEGAN HART
CIMOLAI
HALLER
LONARDI

Let the competition begin.

ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

**SPOILER ALERT**

This website WILL tell you the winner of todays stage before you may have a chance to watch the highlights.  This will continue for every stage for the next 3 weeks, and indeed for the next 3 grand tours.  It is what they do, be prepared.

This means that today I cannot view this site until 11 o'clock tonight.

MinardiM189 replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like

ktache wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

This website WILL tell you the winner of todays stage before you may have a chance to watch the highlights.  This will continue for every stage for the next 3 weeks, and indeed for the next 3 grand tours.  It is what they do, be prepared.

Mountain Renegade will tell you the result of the race before it happens

Condor Andy replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

**SPOILER ALERT**

**SPOILER ALERT**

So will Twitter and any cycling related website.

Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Tough to sort this one out. Normally the sprinters have the GC points early on to add to the early stage wins...not this time though. I’m wondering wether to back load the race...anybody thinking similar?

Pages

Latest Comments