Home

Appreciate this is a very personal subject but here goes anyway:

I ride a Fizik Antares VS & have done for the past 3 years but on longer rides I find it gets very uncomfortable.

Most of my rides are 1 - 2.5 hours which is fine but anything 3 hours & over my backside is sore. I do all the usual things like changing position & getting out of the saddle every 15 minutes or so but still the same.

My question is at what point do I think about changing? Is that just the way it is for 3 hours plus for me? Should I just MTFO & get on with it? I've always ridden a saddle with a pressure relief channel & the newer Fizik models have a cut out so maybe I should be trying that out?

Testing saddles out can get very expensive which is something I'd rather avoid obviously but I just can't get this nagging doubt out of my mind that it shouldn't be like that & it should be more comfortable for longer. Maybe I'm kidding myself.

Just wondered if what I'm feeling is the norm or if I should be doing something about it?

40 comments

ibr17xvii [441 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes
peted76 wrote:

Yes, I did one of those ID Match things at a local bike shop. 

They determined I was an S3 fitted me to a S3 saddle, I've since had two S3's and it/they were probably my most comfortable saddle. 

It's not all about sit bone width, it's also about how flexible your lower back/hips are too.

My thoughts as well.

I can measure my sit bones at home which is fine but that only seems half the equation to me.

Jack Osbourne snr [780 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

Interesting recommendations.

I think I might try to find a shop with the ID system. 

0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

I think it's case of that or measure your sit bones yourself & then make a choice of either no cutout, small cutout or bigger cutout & see how you go.

mike c [9 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne wrote:

custom cycling jersey sublimation printed from China

‘Narrow’ sit bone width would be 100mm or less, medium 100-130mm, wide over 130mm.

A saddle’s width is measured from edge to edge across the top, and Specialized recommends a 130mm saddle width for narrow, 143mm for medium and 155mm for wide. These figures should translate approximately across other ranges, with all other factors taken into account.

phebeM [18 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes
mike c wrote:

‘Narrow’ sit bone width would be 100mm or less, medium 100-130mm, wide over 130mm.

A saddle’s width is measured from edge to edge across the top, and Specialized recommends a 130mm saddle width for narrow, 143mm for medium and 155mm for wide. These figures should translate approximately across other ranges, with all other factors taken into account.

This is the only home method that worked for me. Couldn't get the cardboard method to work. 

0 likes
mike c wrote:
Jack Osbourne wrote:

custom cycling jersey sublimation printed from China

Interesting that I've read a few times online that when people have had their sit bones measured (properly) that Specialized have put them on a 155mm saddle even if they come out as a medium.

Guess it's horses for courses or the model of the saddle they go for.

matthewn5 [1405 posts] 5 months ago
1 like

If all else fails there's a saddle swap in the Bike Radar forum (apologies for cross posting!). Loads of people wanting to exchange saddles to try to find "the one".

0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

If all else fails there's a saddle swap in the Bike Radar forum (apologies for cross posting!). Loads of people wanting to exchange saddles to try to find "the one".

Didn't know that, I'll take a look. Cheers!

Mungecrundle [1542 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

Naked Bike Ride

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-n...

You have been warned!

dottigirl [864 posts] 5 months ago
0 likes

Sit bones - you don't even need to measure the gap, just compare the indented foil to your current saddle and the centre of the padded bits either side should line up with the dents.

If they don't, the saddle isn't right for you.

Also, make sure you replicate your riding position on the foil as your sit bones are wider the more upright you are, and vice versa.

Pages