Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spring Classics

I noticed that these races are now included in the 'Coming Up' list.

Last year all the races included in the competition were World Tour events, and Kurne-Bruxelles-Kurne was not included.

KBK is currently on this years list despite not being a WT event. Is this correct ?

Will Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne be included? This is WT in 2019

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

177 comments

MinardiM189 replied to Gecko-cyclist | 4 years ago
0 likes

Gecko-cyclist wrote:

Same team for me bar Nibali instead of Bardet. Not sure how he'll be after the transfer but he looked lively. I wondered if I'd have enough transfers left mid way but 3 left for me too.

Nibali >>> Bardet

I suspected that Formolo would be the main man for Bora but went with the safe bets. I should have left Kwiatowski out.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Ended up taking a very risky Matthews. Has he managed to keep in so far or has he been dropped?...

He was dropped on the final climb.

Aye...nearly made it. He would have had the chance to watch Fuglsang ride off into the distance with the rest of the riders.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

I didn’t really expect him to win...just a decent place. Did he blow up?

He got caught by Matthews, Wellens, Alaphilippe & Van der Poel.

They then all worked togther to build a gap and then Impey blew up on the first climb they went hard on.

Sniffer replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Condor Andy wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Playing safe today -

ALAPHILIPPE
VALVERDE
YATES A.
MARTIN D.
FUGLSANG
VANENDERT
LAMBRECHT
KREUZIGER

I was tempted to go for Kwiatowski & Schachmann in place of Valverde & Vanendert but decided to play safe.

I went for:

ALAPHILIPPE
VALVERDE
MARTIN D.
FUGLSANG
POELS
SCHACHMANN
BARDET
GEBREMEDHIN

Okay, that last one was a random 3 pointer from Israel Cycling Academy I thought might fancy the break. Wasn't sure about Yates, he's untested on this finish. I wanted Teuns, but decided he was too pricy, same with Kwiato.

ALAPHILIPPE

MARTIN D

FUGLSANG

YATES A

KWIATKOWSKI

SCHACHMANN

MADUOUS

LUTSENKO

Always have Valverde for these but decided was too expensive and would have better team without him. possibly going to regret that decision.

I have Valverde, it is Kwiatowski that I worry about having left him out.

Julian Alaphilippe (QST)

Alejandro Valverde (MOV)

Daniel Martin (UAD)

Maximillian Schachmann (BOH)

Adam Yates (MIS)

Michael Woods (EFE

Bjorg Lambrecht (LTS)

Oscar Rodriguez (EUS)

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Ended up taking a very risky Matthews. Has he managed to keep in so far or has he been dropped?...

Aye...nearly made it. He would have had the chance to watch Fuglsang ride off into the distance with the rest of the riders.

Apparently Matthews crashed on the final descent and took down GVA in the process.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Apparently Matthews crashed on the final descent and took down GVA in the process.

That’s a shame. He’s been very impressive in the classics despite his lack of pts. Of all the quick men he’s the one that seems to have built the stamina to match.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Hat the hell happened to Impey?...Had to go out for the run in...he was there when I left. 

Mind you...What was he doing going for home with over 20kms left as well...

Doubt he would have won with any tactic thoughh.

Missed Lambrecht

I didn’t really miss Lambrect...I was undecided between Impey and Hirschi or Lambrecht and another.  In the nd I decided the course should have been ok for Impey for a decent finish...and it was....who knows what he was thinking going solo from so far out. I bet his race director had something to say after the race....I didn’t even get Hirschi in the end either....saved the transfer instead at the last minute. He’s riding well though.

MinardiM189 replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

JohnnyRemo wrote:

WTF did I just watch? AVDP shutting down a minute in the last 8km on his own - and winning the sprint?!? 

Completely refreshing for cycling that he did that.

I have grown utterly fed up with all the cycling stars who sit in their little elite groups, watching each other as others ride off and take the win.

After the pathetic performance of the favourites in Ronde ( allowing Bettiol to ride away unchallenged and then Asgreen to ride away for 2nd place) I think MVP realises that if you really want to win you have to commit to winning yourself and forget all the 'prima donna' bullshit we have been dished out the last few years.

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Matthews was one of my nagging doubts. His 6th last year was a surprise, but I was interested to see if he'd do it again. I plumped for no, and I've been proved wrong again. I also wrote off Lambrecht and Vanendert, had no idea Martin was ill which gave Ulissi the lead, and Mollema looks to be in good form.

Moving onto Sunday, the finish is back in Liege. It's a flat finish and guys like Sagan and Matthews might want it. Also, the weather looks a little inclement.

The only scoring Sagan will be doing is in a Liege brothel.

Condor Andy replied to MinardiM189 | 4 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Yep! Read that news this morning. It's a shame, I thought Liege was one of his main goals this year with the new flat finish.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Yep! Read that news this morning. It's a shame, I thought Liege was one of his main goals this year with the new flat finish.

How much has it changed Andy?...

Condor Andy replied to Dr Winston | 4 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Old finish was in Ans after the uphill drag on Rue Walthere Jamar. Now the finish is in Liege itself, after a 4km flat section and around a 4-5km descent before that. The last climb is brutal, Cote de la Roche Aux-Facons, 1.4km @ 10% with a little rise afterwards. Anyone wishing to avoid a sprint will make a move here or on the previous climb. The Cote de la Redoute is about 40km from the line.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 4 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Old finish was in Ans after the uphill drag on Rue Walthere Jamar. Now the finish is in Liege itself, after a 4km flat section and around a 4-5km descent before that. The last climb is brutal, Cote de la Roche Aux-Facons, 1.4km @ 10% with a little rise afterwards. Anyone wishing to avoid a sprint will make a move here or on the previous climb. The Cote de la Redoute is about 40km from the line.

So basically the same as a lot of these classics. It may look like a sprint but who will be left to actually sprint...not many.

JohnnyRemo replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

JohnnyRemo wrote:

WTF did I just watch? AVDP shutting down a minute in the last 8km on his own - and winning the sprint?!? 

I'm getting old - called him his dad's name!

Dr Winston replied to JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
1 like

JohnnyRemo wrote:

JohnnyRemo wrote:

I'm getting old - called him his dad's name!

Must be quite an entertaining gathering at the family table in their house. Poulidor could end up the eternal second even around his own dinner table.

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

My team

Sagan
Ewan
Viviani
Gaviria
Bettiol
Rowe
Maetsri
Schonberger

Went for the last two because they were prominent in the Tirreno breaks and they're there again today!

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
1 like

Well I got the spectacularly wrong! Seems if a group with the world champ, european champ, polish champ, slovenian champ, slovakian champ gets away on the Poggio then they STAY away.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Edged my bets between sprinters and rolleurs. I had Ala, Kwia and Clarke. Not too bad.

Ditched Van Aert though...never dreamt he would produce that on such a long road race with no mud and cobbles.

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

My last minute changes a disaster again.

Alaphilippe/Maestri out for Viviani/Roelandts in.

How did I win this competition last year ???sad

Sam_LFS | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi, you should add Moschetti (Trek-Segafredo) to the list for the Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne!

0 likes

Another poor result for me -

Half my riders for today removed from the start-list.

JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

Feck! Missed the cut-off for E3. Ah, well - everything riding on Connor Dunne, then...  3

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

What the very hell was I doing going without Stybar. We should have a “wine” button that we can play once a season to reverse daftness caused by wine.

He looks seriously strong this season...

0 likes

Another fuck-up for me.

I was planning to bring in Stybar and Keukeliere but didn't get around to it (I forgot).

Anselmo Tadeu | 5 years ago
0 likes

Where's Van der Poel???????????

11waterloo | 5 years ago
0 likes

No Corendon-Circus but plenty of Israel Cycling Academy? Sport Vlaanderen - Baloise roster doesn’t tally with official start list either. Hopefully corrected before deadline please......

Gecko-cyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

The wind today makes me nervous so not many fast men for me considering it's a sprinters classic. My team

Sagan
Lampaert
Stybar
Terpstra
Van art
Van de poel
Naesen
Benoot

If it ends up in a mass sprint I may have got this spectacularly wrong like usual...

0 likes

Ah well. To paraphrase Eric Morecambe, I got all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order - classics races are hard!

0 likes

Pity there weren't a couple less riders in the break.

I had half my team in the front group, then 3 of the 5 in the smaller lead goup.

Not too bad at the end of the day, Degenkolb came home 2nd.

With 51 transfers left for the remaining races hopefully I can work my way up the leaderboard.

1 like

LOl.

Other nationalities are available...

Pages

Latest Comments