Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should you wear a bike helmet?

A balanced report; worth a watch: The Guardian - Should you wear a bike helmet?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

76 comments

FluffyKittenofT... replied to Peter Scott | 5 years ago
4 likes

Peter Scott wrote:

I always wear a helmet.

Must make it very difficult washing your hair, then!

(There's a serious point to that joke, by the way - I suffered concusion running around the playground as a child - should I conclude from that I should always wear a helmet when running?)

brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

I think I ride more cautiously when I'm not wearing a helmet.

When I first started not wearing a helmet, I was very very much conscious of not having a big lump of plastic on my head and it made me feel much more vulnerable (although more comfortable, and cooler (in a temperature sense: I'll never be cool in a social sense )), but I got used to it.

Now, on the occasions I have worn a helmet (a couple of times over the winter, when there looked to be ice), I've actually felt awkward and self-conscious about the big lump of plastic on my head.

I like not having to lug it around when I'm not actually on the bike, too.

Giles Pargiter | 5 years ago
7 likes

Never mind that riding in motor vehicles is about five times more more dangerous for your head than cycling (or walking). It has not even been mentioned that getting in or out of the bath or shower is about nine times more dangerous for your head. People should definitely always wear helmets in the bathroom

froze | 5 years ago
2 likes

Well I've always said buy a helmet based on how much you think your head is worth, if you think your brains are worth nothing then don't bother spending money on a helmet.  I also use to hear the excuse that a helmet weighed too much to be worn, to which I replied that they're too weak to ride a bike if they can't hold a helmet on their head.

I can't see the video link for some reason, but I disagree with the assumption you ride safer with your helmet off, most people where I live who ride their bikes like complete idiots and disregard for safety or for any laws on the street with cars aren't wearing helmets!  Not saying that I've never seen helmet riders ride like that, but mostly is the bareheaded boneheads riding like that.  This has been my observation with over 40 years of watching cyclists ride.

hawkinspeter replied to froze | 5 years ago
8 likes

froze wrote:

Well I've always said buy a helmet based on how much you think your head is worth, if you think your brains are worth nothing then don't bother spending money on a helmet.  I also use to hear the excuse that a helmet weighed too much to be worn, to which I replied that they're too weak to ride a bike if they can't hold a helmet on their head.

I can't see the video link for some reason, but I disagree with the assumption you ride safer with your helmet off, most people where I live who ride their bikes like complete idiots and disregard for safety or for any laws on the street with cars aren't wearing helmets!  Not saying that I've never seen helmet riders ride like that, but mostly is the bareheaded boneheads riding like that.  This has been my observation with over 40 years of watching cyclists ride.

You should stop saying that.

kevvjj replied to froze | 5 years ago
8 likes

froze wrote:

Drivel. Anecdotal. Generalisations. Drivel. Uninformed opinion. Drivel.

bogbrush replied to froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

froze wrote:

Hi Froze

I think that without you being able to see the video, you may have misunderstood what the results of the study suggested.

The study suggests that if you take two otherwise similar sets of people, put helmets on one and don't give helmets to the other, then those who are wearing helmets will take more risks.

What the study does not show (and is not designed to show), is that people who choose to wear a helmet while cycling are people who take more risks.  

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
4 likes

Chris Boardman speaks sense.

Zeesy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I couldn't agree more with those who have written in supporting the use of helmets. I watched the video, which tries to give a balanced view. I feel some things are so self-evident that they do not require evidence! In any type of impact to the head, the better protected the head the less severe or absent the head injury. Accidents do not occur only in road traffic situations. A fall can occur while swerving, sneezing or failing to see an obstruction. In such a situation I know I'd rather be with than without a helmet!

Many years ago I watched on a children's programme a watermerlon being dropped on the floor from a height and spattering all over the place. Another melon was dropped from the same height inside a cycle helmet. It came out intact!

hawkinspeter replied to Zeesy | 5 years ago
7 likes

Zeesy wrote:

I couldn't agree more with those who have written in supporting the use of helmets. I watched the video, which tries to give a balanced view. I feel some things are so self-evident that they do not require evidence! In any type of impact to the head, the better protected the head the less severe or absent the head injury. Accidents do not occur only in road traffic situations. A fall can occur while swerving, sneezing or failing to see an obstruction. In such a situation I know I'd rather be with than without a helmet!

Many years ago I watched on a children's programme a watermerlon being dropped on the floor from a height and spattering all over the place. Another melon was dropped from the same height inside a cycle helmet. It came out intact!

Do you wear one whilst walking?

Kapelmuur replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

I'd be tempted to wear one while walking if I could walk at the speed I cycle.   

ConcordeCX replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
7 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

a watermelon?

hawkinspeter replied to ConcordeCX | 5 years ago
9 likes

ConcordeCX wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

a watermelon?

No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask.

wycombewheeler replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

no I carry one, so it's ready to deploy when using stairs and crossing the road  obvs   3

but its a lot harder to do this while riding

my big dimena is how to address the increased risk in the shower, when i need to wash my hair 

???

(I do actually wear one while cycling, not because I think it will save my life, but because concussion would be quite annoying, as would severe grazing of one of my ears.)

hawkinspeter replied to wycombewheeler | 5 years ago
1 like

wycombewheeler wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

no I carry one, so it's ready to deploy when using stairs and crossing the road  obvs   3

but its a lot harder to do this while riding

my big dimena is how to address the increased risk in the shower, when i need to wash my hair 

???

(I do actually wear one while cycling, not because I think it will save my life, but because concussion would be quite annoying, as would severe grazing of one of my ears.)

The obvious answer is to shave your head or to KickStart a helmet with some kind of rinse cycle.

Jetmans Dad replied to Zeesy | 5 years ago
6 likes

Zeesy wrote:

Very few people (even on here) fundamentally disagree that a helmet provides some protection for your head, but as the video points out, that isn't the only issue. There is also not only your own behaviour whilst wearing one (do you instinctively take more risks because you feel more protected?) but also the behaviour of other road users (do they take more risks around you because you look more protected?). 

If wearing a helmet makes it 10% less likely that I will suffer a serious head injury if I have an accident but 20% more likely that I will have an accident, should I wear one?

There is also the fact that there is safety in numbers ... the more people are out riding bicycles, the safer those riders are (according to the evidence from countries like The Netherlands and Denmark), and making helmet use compulsory reduces the number of people out riding bicycles (according to evidence from countries like Australia). 

All those factors (and others) combined to make this a topic that is not as self-evident as you think it is, by any metric, and why we need to look at all the evidence and then make the right choices based on it. 

ConcordeCX replied to Zeesy | 5 years ago
7 likes

Zeesy wrote:

if you're going to come on here and claim that some things are so self-evident that they don't need evidence, then you'll have to provide some evidence to support that claim rather than say you just feel it. Otherwise nobody's going to respect anything you have to say about anything. Just common sense, innit?

BehindTheBikesheds replied to ConcordeCX | 5 years ago
4 likes

ConcordeCX wrote:

Zeesy wrote:

if you're going to come on here and claim that some things are so self-evident that they don't need evidence, then you'll have to provide some evidence to support that claim rather than say you just feel it. Otherwise nobody's going to respect anything you have to say about anything. Just common sense, innit?

That's a paddlin'

I also feel a graph coming on ...

Roger Geffen replied to ConcordeCX | 5 years ago
3 likes

Zeesy wrote:

For a full round-up of evidence relevant to the cycle helmet debate, please see Cycling UK's evidence briefing, downloadable from

www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/views-and-briefings/cycle-helmets

Podc | 5 years ago
3 likes

It's worth remembering that none of the people who have lost their lives after being involved in an accident whilst riding bikes and wearing a helmet, are able to add their anecdata to these discussions.

Drinfinity replied to Podc | 5 years ago
1 like

Podc wrote:

It's worth remembering that none of the people who have lost their lives after being involved in an accident whilst riding bikes and not wearing a helmet, are able to add their anecdata to these discussions.

ftfy

RMurphy195 replied to Podc | 5 years ago
0 likes

Podc wrote:

It's worth remembering that none of the people who have lost their lives after being involved in an accident whilst riding bikes and wearing a helmet, are able to add their anecdata to these discussions.

It's also worth remembering that none of the people who have lost their lives after being involved in an accident whilst riding bikes and NOT wearing a helmet, are able to add their anecdata to these discussions either.

JF69 replied to RMurphy195 | 5 years ago
1 like

RMurphy195 wrote:

Podc wrote:

It's also worth remembering that none of the people who have lost their lives after being involved in an accident whilst riding bikes and NOT wearing a helmet, are able to add their anecdata to these discussions either.

The former scenario is of course more indicative & produces more easily relevant data than the latter of course.

Those who lost their lives because of an accident even though they wore a helmet died....the cause of death is of little relevance. The helmet did not save them. It's data/statistics that are automatically included in any research on cycle helmet effectiveness.

Those who lost their lives because of an accident but weren't wearing a helmet died....but the cause of death is of great importance as opposed to the first scenario before even considering them for inclusion in the same research on cycle helmet effectiveness (eg: death even though no injury to head or neck area).
If the injury leading to death could not be prevented by wearing a helmet it's data that makes the case for the limited protection (if at all) of wearing a helmet.
If the injury leading to death could in theory be prevented by wearing a helmet, further studies are needed before deciding whether this data is valid for inclusion in conclusions advocating for helmet use. Why? The same helmet could be a contributing factor leading to the death of the helmet user, for a variety of reasons.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to RMurphy195 | 5 years ago
3 likes

RMurphy195 wrote:

Podc wrote:

What if I refer to the accidents I had while not wearing a helmet where I didn't die?  Do those count?  How about all the occasions I didn't have an accident in the first place?

(Obviously I'm not going to mention all the accidents where I _did_ die, because those wouldn't support my helmet-skepticism).

Come to think of it, I could also cite all the non-fatal accidents, and not-accidents I had while not riding a bike.  In a simiar spirit to the 'helmet saved my life' stories, I could claim that 'not riding a bike saved my life' and argue that therefore nobody should ever ride a bike.

Kapelmuur | 5 years ago
6 likes

I have crashed while not wearing a helmet, sadly I can't add to the debate as all I remember is leaving home and then waking up in A&E.

Leviathan | 5 years ago
3 likes

Munge and RJ, some very reasonable  responses there. Though some might say ancedote is not evidence; well weather isn't climate, but mass up the data and they become one and the same. We can't do double blind tests by getting people to crash without a helmet. I've had some falls on ice, birdshit and kerbs which appeared from nowhere (another story; poor infrastructure, cycle lane moving from road to pavement,) and mostly come down on my substantial arse/hip, but just once I scraped my temple on the floor. No harm to me, but helmet was scratched, but saved me a big headache.

I am sure some of the naysayers just think they have a superior level of skill that protects them. I just wish that half the energy some people put into debating the subject on this site was put into actual cycling and the world would be a better place.

alansmurphy replied to Leviathan | 5 years ago
1 like

Leviathan wrote:

I am sure some of the naysayers just think they have a superior level of skill that protects them. I just wish that half the energy some people put into debating the subject on this site was put into actual cycling and the world would be a better place.

I often wonder if they've suffered a bang on the head...

tugglesthegreat replied to alansmurphy | 5 years ago
0 likes

alansmurphy wrote:

Leviathan wrote:

I often wonder if they've suffered a bang on the head...

I did a race (MTB) in the Pyrenees and came off, wearing a hardshell helment and shattered all the inside.  Hurt my neck but other than than was okish.  I was pro helments before even more so after.

HowardR | 5 years ago
1 like

I've worn a helmet (whilst cycling) since I went sumersaulting over the bonnet of a twunt guided car. On that occasion I wasn't wearing a helmet & two of the few things I remembered about the incident was seeing the bonnet & then the road rushing towards me - and whishing so very much that I was wearing some (any!) sort of head protection.

tugglesthegreat | 5 years ago
2 likes

The first helmet I had was a bell hard shell.  A heavy fall mountainbiking in the Pyrennes shattered the inside and sent it to the bin.  I've been pro helmets ever since.

Pages

Latest Comments