Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sportive bike for £3000-£4000

Looking at a new bike seen Orbea M20 disc but not stuck on a particular brand any advice ? 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

jaymack | 6 years ago
2 likes

If you don't want to go bespoke the very best thing you can do to ensure your money's well spent is to pay for a bike fitting.

Boatsie replied to jaymack | 6 years ago
0 likes
jonathanfmcgarry wrote:

If you don't want to go bespoke the very best thing you can do to ensure your money's well spent is to pay for a bike fitting.

I'm often tired when writing Rapha. Just relating to nice bearings to reduce the noise on the fulcrums and nice bars to reduce the leverage due to wind on the headstem is my next upgrade thus a beautiful sporty feel enabling a more pleasurable carving of the road and an easier straight line performance with reduced drag. Too me that's a big budget, the world is your oyster. I used to like riding an old alloy frame; probably chromoly, with vintage 1 piece aero bar handles. Downside was elbows rested direct on round tube, upside was it was very comfortable and 80km x5 days weekly was pleasure on top of 8 hour study and a ride that was nearing the start of loose at 90kmph.
A bike that fits is the best suit anyone has.
Nowadays I'm super happy, removal of cigarettes and internal combustion engines has boosted my budget approx £2000 pa ( after loss of stupid government incentives to pay us to drive to work eg £3500-£1500) and plodding along at 20-30kmph is slow enough to score me another gutter tool an hour ago; 17mm ratcheting spanner. Super stoked.
Lol

peted76 | 6 years ago
1 like

Take a look at these:

http://www.jlaverack.co.uk/jack-range/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/defy-advanced-pro-0-2018

https://masoncycles.cc/products/definition-ultegra-di2-hydro

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/endurace/2018/endurace-cf-slx-disc-8-0...

https://www.reillycycleworks.com/collections/titanium-bikes/products/t32...

I think specialized and trek and not quite as much but also cannondale are all overpriced for what you can get elsewhere.

With your budget you can get a really lovely bike no doubt, I'd reccomend you tried to ride them all before making your mind up. If I were you, I'd get a nice lightweight (sub 1.6kg inc fork) titanium frame and build yourself a bike which you'll ride forever.

s9jackson | 6 years ago
0 likes

I`ve had a dolan for the last 6 years which i`ve loved and been great for sportives and races but now going to be riding more  in alps and last year in the mountains I was shook to bits so need something more forgiving and also something that will last       

Beecho replied to s9jackson | 6 years ago
0 likes

s9jackson wrote:

last year in the mountains I was shook to bits so need something more forgiving and also something that will last       

Father-in-law lives in the Sibillinis and, after MUCH retired-man-research (boy he is thorough, poor shop staff), he settled on a Specialized Roubaix, with its shock absorbing bliss. Might be the ride for you.

iandusud replied to s9jackson | 6 years ago
0 likes

s9jackson wrote:

I`ve had a dolan for the last 6 years which i`ve loved and been great for sportives and races but now going to be riding more  in alps and last year in the mountains I was shook to bits so need something more forgiving and also something that will last       

That's helpful. In your case I think I might be looking at one the Trek Domane bikes. With your budget you'll get a light comfortable bike. Go along to a Trek dealer and have a test ride.

kil0ran replied to s9jackson | 6 years ago
0 likes
s9jackson wrote:

So, carbon, hydro discs, space for 28mm tyres, best wheels you can find for the money. Frame is often the same throughout the range, it's the kit that equates for the difference in price. Have a think about whether you want to electronic or cable gears (I'd stick with cables add the savings to the wheel budget). At the price you're looking at you should aim to spend getting on for 40% on the wheelset.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

How sporty do you want to go?
Ignorance of most real yet having read.

Titanium per it's light weight strength and steel feel.
Bafang crank drive assistance?
None knocking bearings in aero rims.
Di2.
G-ones
Might prefer dropbars or aero lean ons. Maybe I'm old now but I'm getting speed wobbles at 40-50kmph and at 60-70kmph on my flatbar bikes so figure it's because lots of wind catching out wide.
You rock dude. Best luck.

Rapha Nadal replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Boatsie wrote:

How sporty do you want to go? Ignorance of most real yet having read. Titanium per it's light weight strength and steel feel. Bafang crank drive assistance? None knocking bearings in aero rims. Di2. G-ones Might prefer dropbars or aero lean ons. Maybe I'm old now but I'm getting speed wobbles at 40-50kmph and at 60-70kmph on my flatbar bikes so figure it's because lots of wind catching out wide. You rock dude. Best luck.

Pardon?

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Maybe something in titanium with Di2? Like Ian said, at that money the world's your oyster really.

iandusud | 6 years ago
0 likes

There are many options and for a lot less money. Not that I have anything against spending that sort of money on a bike but I think if you do you need to have a clear idea of what YOU think is the right bike for you. If you don't I suggest you get a much cheaper bike ride it for a year and make an informed decision based on what you like/don't like about your current bike. 

Latest Comments