Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slipstream etiquette?

I'm quite new to cycling so I thought I'd put this out there, as it seemed rather odd to me at the time.

While out on a solo ride yesterday, on a rather windy day, I suddenly realised there was another cyclist right behind me. I wasn't sure at first, as I only noticed a shape in the corner of my eye while checking for traffic.

After a few moments I looked again and was sure there was someone there. I had a left turn coming up, signaled, and sure enough a chap who had been hugging my rear wheel said "Cheers mate" and carried on.

I'm used to riding tight together on club rides, especially in the wind, but never had a complete stranger steal my slipstream like this, without saying a word. We'd been on the road for probably a couple of miles before I noticed.

I didn't mind the slipstreaming (even though I was doing all the work); it just would have been nice if he'd told me he was there. If I needed to swerve suddenly to avoid a pothole, we'd both be in the gutter.

Anyone else encountered this? What's the best thing to say to an unannounced visitor on your rear?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

70 comments

Crampy replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
3 likes

don simon wrote:

Stay quiet and don't blame me if the snot rocket hits target.

Where I am from the sheer number of cyclists (especially in summer) make taking a wheel / being drafted inevitable. Folks like you wouldnt last long...

If you dont like it you can swing out and let them through, or you can offer to cooperate if they look a bit tasty. 

As others have said, the slow guy might be you one day...

Welsh boy | 6 years ago
4 likes

Just be pleased that you have helped a fellow cyclist who was in need of some shelter, one day that older, slower less fit rider will be you and wouldn't it be nice to think that you could have a bit of respite on someone elses wheel.

DaveE128 replied to Welsh boy | 6 years ago
2 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Just be pleased that you have helped a fellow cyclist who was in need of some shelter, one day that older, slower less fit rider will be you and wouldn't it be nice to think that you could have a bit of respite on someone elses wheel.

This. If you signal your intentions and point out potholes, it really isn't that dangerous.

Jimmy Ray Will | 6 years ago
2 likes

Never bothered me in the slightest. As long as they stay fairly tight, then I'm getting a benefit from them. Wonderful.

Crampy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Swing out to the right (left on your quaint English roads) and let them through. 

LastBoyScout | 6 years ago
9 likes

Annoys the hell out of me, too, because it's dangerous - I've actually had a complete stranger crash into the back of me because he was too close when I eased off and he didn't (seems he couldn't take a hint when I'd tried to drop him 3 times).

Sportives, friends and club rides,  when you have a pretty good idea of where you/they are going, then fine, but you wouldn't drive that close to a complete stranger's car, so why do it on a bike?

nniff | 6 years ago
3 likes

At least he had the courtesy to thank you.  If it bothers you, flick your elbow after a while and let him have a go.   

I tend to announce my presence, usually by declaring myself to be a parasite, and then take my turn in due course.  There's a certain rudeness involved in catching someone, recovering on their wheel, and then dropping them.  I tend at least to give them a fair chance to sit on if they're minded to.

I have a good working relationship with a chap on an electric bike who shares a decent stretch of my commute.  I sit on his wheel into the headwind, and we have a chat and the lights and repeat.  It all stared when this bloke on a mountain bike eased in front of me at the lights an dthen took off like a scalded cat.  The battery sits in a very discreet, largish under the saddle mountain bike style saddle bag

fenix | 6 years ago
5 likes

Say nothing and power away from them...

Kempston replied to fenix | 6 years ago
2 likes

fenix wrote:

I wish I could have, but it was windy and I was knackered!

HLaB replied to Kempston | 6 years ago
1 like

Kempston wrote:

fenix wrote:

I wish I could have, but it was windy and I was knackered!

If you've not got the energy give them an elbow signal to come through.  After a bit you tend to know who is good at it and can trust you just need to do your bit too (pointing out potholes etc) and you'll both work together good and it'll be mutially beneficial.  If I don't trust them I do the powering away thing.  I can't recall not being able to drop someone untrusty but I guess I would drop my pace first then maybe pull off and stop if I was too knackered  1 

Pages

Latest Comments