Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon Ultimate AL frame - evil little crack

Hello all, sad news to report. A crack has developed in the top tube on my much-loved Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0. The frameset is nearly 5 years old, but that seems young at my age  3 It's done about 1600km/year so that's probably about 7000km - mainly rough London streets on the commute, but also a bit of light touring, the DunRun, winter bike etc.

I noticed last night there was a slight bump in the top edge of the rear brake cable port, where there hadn't been before. I looked through a magnifying glass, and the crack is already 8mm long.

//imageshack.com/a/img922/4549/XasRGy.jpg)

//imageshack.com/a/img924/7840/L4sxiO.jpg)

1. What to do? I have no claim under guarantee, as I bought the frameset second hand, and I've used a rack etc, so the question is: ride it and see? Or attempt a repair? It looks too hard to weld - and likely to cause stress problems if it were to be welded.

2. What to replace it with? I've loved its efficiency and directness. Sharp steering and a rock solid bottom bracket area. A new Canyon frame is nearly £800, post Brexit! Ideas welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

31 comments

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

OK, so I've bought a Cinelli Experience 2016 frameset in the sales for £280. Exactly the same geometry within a few mm and only slightly heavier - so hopefully, a bit sturdier.

Pages

Latest Comments