Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What's your 'pocket loading strategy'?

As inspired by the Howies Llaeth review, what goes in each?

Most of my jerseys have three pockets, so it's as follows:

Left - phone, cards & money in slim plastic thing, keys

Middle - pump, cafe lock, clear or sunglasses, sometimes a spare layer (jacket, snood, or base)

Right - lip balm, paracetamol, tissue, energy bar/snack, eyeliner.

If I stop and pick up a few groceries on the way home, I usually stick the milk in the middle (emptying it first into the right), chocolate bar on the left, and anything else down the front of my jersey. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

fenix | 7 years ago
2 likes

Your left or my left ?

peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Short or social rides:

Right - Phone/card/key&emergency details in a pocopac wallet.

Middle - free in order to take off layers.

Left - Nana, gels, bars etc.. 

Longer rides:

Right - Food overflow, Repair kit & bits that would normally be in a tool bottle in second cage position, kit overflow dependant on ride/weather etc.. 

Middle - gillet, rain jacket, phone/card/key&emergency details in a pocopac wallet.

Left - More substancial food + Nana, gels, bars etc.. 

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

"Right - lip balm, paracetamol, tissue, energy bar/snack, eyeliner"

Hmmm, I tend to ensure my guyliner is waterproof!

"anything else down the front of my jersey"

Minx

alansmurphy | 7 years ago
0 likes

My strategy is to put stuff inside the pockets, seems to work...

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Left - phone

Middle - Lezyne Bag w/ levers, Co2, tube, painkillers

Right - mini tool

If it's hot and I need loads of water/food (100miles and up) then I'll also throw in one or two collapsible Salomon flasks with water/maltodextrin/caffeine in there. One each side. 

That sucks but I'll try and use them first then the weight is gone and all is well again. Beats having to stop and lose time at a shop or something.

Don't take solid food on the bike any more. Too bulky. Haven't even taken the pump in ages. 

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Middle pocket - pump, phone, gilet if i take it off

Left pocket - energy bars

Right pocket - emergency gel & then my keys/card/cash in the zipped valuables pocket

I can't stand a twisted jersey so try to keep the weight distribution quite even.

zedthegreat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Left pocket - banana and energy gel

Middle - Gillet/jacket and phone wedged in (waterproof phone, so no case required)

Right pocket - Bank card, inhalor (no TUE provided), keys - unless a zipped pocket on jersey

I also use a small saddle bag, which contains spare tube, multi tool and levers. Mini pump on the frame - and I am OK with this! 

dottigirl replied to zedthegreat | 7 years ago
2 likes

zedthegreat wrote:

I also use a small saddle bag, which contains spare tube, multi tool and levers. Mini pump on the frame - and I am OK with this!

Me too...as long as you're regularly checking that the pump is still functional. More than once during mechanicals, people have produced frame pumps only to discover that they were useless. They don't hold out for long against road crap.

Saddle bag contents would be a thread of its own. (I'm massively cautious and carry lots of little things.)

psling | 7 years ago
9 likes

"If I stop and pick up a few groceries on the way home, I usually stick the milk in the middle (emptying it first into the right)..."

Wouldn't it be better to leave the milk in the bottle?

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Not much I'm afraid, a packet of pocket tissues in the right pocket, housekeys in the zipped middle one, and, ahem, 'used' tissues in the left one. All my tools, tubes and spares etc go in my rucksack.

I know, I know, I feel dirty cheeky.

Super Domestique | 7 years ago
0 likes

Wallet / phone, etc in the left pocket.

Middle gets multi tool / spares clothes/food, etc.

Right pocket gets all the potential puncture repair stuff.

Pages

Latest Comments