Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BMC GF01 105 disc and ease of swap to ultegra Di2

A nice problem this one. I really fancy a BMC GF01 and a big birthday approaches. The 105 is bike of the year as I'm sure we have all read but I also fancy a Di2 set up. The ultegra di2 version is £2k more than the 105 version but the full Di2 groupset from Evans, Wiggle etc has suddenly dropped to £899 so half the price of the pre-made bike (yes the wheels and other stuff are better too I do understand).

Bear with me, here's the question:

Are disc brake brake levers special or will the ones that come in the ultegra groupset work with the shimano (hydraulic) discs?

Phew, got there.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just to round this off Evans-cycles had a transit-damaged GF01 ultegra Di-2 in stock so I dug deep into my pockets and saved the agro of upgrading later by buying it. Pick up Tuesday  4

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

^nah....go for hydraulics, ya know ya want to  3

Mother Theresa replied to 2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes
2 Wheeled Idiot wrote:

^nah....go for hydraulics, ya know ya want to  3

You obviously know me too well...

If it weren't for the fact the integra version looks soooo dull I would go for that and then change the shifters and derailleurs at a later date.

Decisions, decisions; and the big day is nearly upon me.

rmacneil | 9 years ago
0 likes

You'll need ST-R785RL levers to go along with the hydraulic callipers. Currently £340 at Merlin including the callipers. Alternatively, you could run mechanical disks like TRP Spyres with the regular Ultegra Di2 levers which will be a bit lighter, but not quite as pimp.

2 Wheeled Idiot | 9 years ago
0 likes

yes, you will need hydraulic and di2 specific shifters....it will almost certainly be cheaper to get the groupset seperately, sell the shifters and brakes and then get the hydraulic levers instead of buying the full hydro bike.

Mother Theresa | 9 years ago
0 likes

I dunno, hence question.

I'm just a very, very keen noob to all this. My kids will gladly have the bits I don't need - i.e. ultegra calipers and the rest of the 105 kit that comes off.

CXR94Di2 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Isn't the groupset your suggesting a mechanical levers for braking not hydraulic. That is why it is cheaper.

Latest Comments