Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Spring Classics 2015

The next major competition I am looking at getting organised for is the Spring Classics 2015. I would also like to get some prizes organised for a mini-league if it is still possible to run a standard mini-league competition.

Is anyone able to tell me how the Spring Classics will run this year?

For example:

- Will they be the same 12 races as last year, which will mean Omloop Het Nieuwsblad will be first on 22nd Feb ... that's less than a month away.

- Will it be possible for players to run a mini-league for this with just standard scoring on its own, i.e. not standard + purist + whatever scores all added together as aggregate league "scores".

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

235 comments

Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Enrique, do us all a favour, fuck off with your quotes and changing them to suit your purpose.

NO the values cannot be changed back, NO we won't pander to your requests, NO I do not reply to your emails, NO I don't have certain issues you decided I had in one of your emails.

FUCK OFF

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Anyway shall we all calm down, mistakes happen. Let's just get on with it. Gkam and enrique stop winding each other up.

Stumps | 9 years ago
0 likes

chiv30, i appreciate you have a valid point but adding 5 transfers to an already created comp is probably a hell of a lot easier than creating a whole new "purist" comp.

I may be wrong though  39

dave atkinson | 9 years ago
0 likes

i wasn't taking it as a dig, don't worry. and yeah, it's one to look at

CoDrvr | 9 years ago
0 likes

Lads, will you be updating rosters before Strade Bianche? Would find it useful since for example we've only got Gerrans from OGE etc.

admin | 9 years ago
0 likes

yes, i'll be doing it today

BigBear63 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Just received a roster change for Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) with Tejay Van Garderen taking his place. According to the Strade Bianche definativo startlist and BMC team website Van Avermaet is starting the Strade and Van Garderen is still in Paris Nice.

This format for the Spring Classics is fast becoming more trouble than its worth. At least last year the unlimited transfers between races helped to avoid last minute cock ups with inaccurate roster changes. This year it means leaving every race until the last minute to save wasting transfers.

Is Avermaet in or out?  102

admin | 9 years ago
0 likes

yeah, it's a mistake. swapped them over.

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the following riders are missing from the game:

Luca Braidot
Marco Aurelio Fontana
Nicholas Pettina
Giuseppe Sannino
Simone Velasco

All in Team Italy

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think the following riders are missing from the game:

Luca Braidot
Marco Aurelio Fontana
Nicholas Pettina
Giuseppe Sannino
Simone Velasco

All in Team Italy

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Check the PCS startlist before you press go.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

Check the PCS startlist before you press go.

shawnm4747 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I think you guys run a great fantasy competition (No information about whether there is a prize for coming in first place in the Tour of Oman purist comp notwithstanding). However, for next year my suggestion for the Spring Classics would be doing a purist comp where players can select any riders at the beginning of the comp and then have to stick with the riders throughout (picking the riders for the cobbles, ardennes, and other classics would be similar to having to pick gc guys, sprinters, and tt'ers for purist comps in the stage races, where you know that some guys won't be scoring in certain stages) and then doing a standard competition with unlimited transfers between the stages.

I've enjoyed the change that gives a fixed number of transfers at the beginning in the stage races, but think that it just doesn't work for the spring classics. Because we don't know the startlists ahead of time for the races, it is almost impossible to come up with a sound strategy for budgeting the transfers. And having a standard team that only has about half the cyclists riding the races just isn't a lot of fun (who wants to waste transfers on 3 pointers?).

Either way, with or without prizes, I'll still be playing. It's just a suggestion to make it better next year or in the fall classics.

Joelsim | 9 years ago
0 likes

I like it as it is. Having said that I've just made 7 transfers for Strade. Hopefully only 3 needed for MSR if my plans work out.

TERatcliffe26 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Alls I can say is for the spring classics, check startlist information yourself and dont rely on it being correct on here as startlists change and we only get the same info as anyone else.

You are able to select all riders so there is no problem, and thus no excuse, surely if you take the game seriously enough to query whether a rider is riding, your able to look at the info and make your own judgement? At the end of the day if a rider rides he will score if places, so pick a grey rider if you have info suggesting he is riding, whether we think he is or not because we ultimately go off the results come the end.

And saying about having to wait until the last minute to make transfers, and I know the rosters dont change, but its not much different to having to allocate time the night before each stage of a GT everyday for 3 weeks to make transfers, and in those races riders drop out the morning of the race like roster changes can happen for these races. Thats just the nature of cycling and if transfers were unlimited the spring classics would be no challenge whatsoever imo

Nix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Trades are unlimited now.

The idea we could plan ahead lasted 1 race when prices and the number of trades changed. As I predicted, we can't get reliable future startlist info or weather info so it is dumb to try to plan even a week ahead with trades.

Instead we have 2 competitions cobbled together.
- a 5 rider unlimited trade comp with 140 credit budget.
- plus a 3 rider purist no trade comp with 10 credit budget.
Scores from both comps are added together.

An unlimited trade game with an 8 man team is easy to play - to put in a team. But hard to optimise because of the large number of combinations. Then you have to try and correctly try to optimise that over 13 weeks; it is very hard to win. Just because it is easy to put in a starting team for new players doesn't mean it is an easy competition to finish in the top 100. But at least your time is spent thinking about cycling and races (interesting sfuff), instead of tedious trawling through startlists and news reports (boring stuff).

Nix | 9 years ago
0 likes

Cretin30 can't string two words together so has to resort to inane pictures.

enrique | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got an email saying:

Spring Classics: Alexander Kristoff was removed from the roster

But I still see him listed on the PCS start list for San Remo...  7

chiv30 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Surely stumps got extremely lucky today especially looking back over the last few years results for Ghent , still top marks to him  41

MinardiM189 | 9 years ago
0 likes

Very disappointed with the transfer policy for this series.

I've just discovered that there are a limited number of transfers and only have 2 transfers left with 5 races to go, and most of my team from Sheldeprijs are not competing in Paris Roubaix.

Ruined the whole series for me.

Thank you for organising the game but this is a bad policy and should be changed.

enrique replied to stenmeister | 9 years ago
0 likes
stenmeister wrote:

I won the Tour of Flanders...

Good for you!

stenmeister wrote:

...you're never going to pick those guys! ...

Maybe... but I'd like to see them in the game, just to see their values.... and it would be a shame if they scored and they hadn't been available to be picked...

Nix replied to Abbie | 9 years ago
0 likes
Abbie wrote:

I'm totally confused. Left it till the last minute cos I don't fully understand it. Looking at start list for the first 2. Think I'm Name dyslectic. Kinda wishing I hadn't gone premium.

This link is your friend ...
http://dreamteamtalk.com/2015/02/27/meet-the-classics/

Includes advice for starting team

dave atkinson replied to Aragonite | 9 years ago
0 likes
Aragonite wrote:

Seems unfair that people are being penalised for having an over budget KBK team, when it wasn't their fault. Would it not be possible to give them points for the KBK regardless?

anyone who's got an over budget KBK team that they haven't changed will get scored.

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

They have been [added]....

Thanks, G!...

Gkam84 wrote:

...I have added another 5 transfers...

Damn... I thought you couldn't do that...  45 Well, maybe next year we can have a Purist competition, start out with 0 transfers and then insert 8 or 9 transfers right after Roubaix...  45

dave atkinson replied to LukeClosely | 9 years ago
0 likes
LukeClosely wrote:

Is the budget thing going to happen again if values are changed before strade bianche?

no, the values shouldn't have changed. it was an error on our part and they won't change again.

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

The values changed because... I should have done it another way...

Dave, does the game engine let you reevaluate the riders, ignoring their results from yesterday, so we can return to the original rider values before the competition began, or is this an irreversible process?  39 ...

Stumps replied to Gkam84 | 9 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Enrique, do us all a favour, fuck off with your quotes and changing them to suit your purpose.

NO the values cannot be changed back, NO we won't pander to your requests, NO I do not reply to your emails, NO I don't have certain issues you decided I had in one of your emails.

FUCK OFF

Dont beat around the bush mate, just tell it how it is  24  24

EnglishmanAbroad replied to BigBear63 | 9 years ago
0 likes
BigBear63 wrote:

Just received a roster change for Greg Van Avermaet (BMC) with Tejay Van Garderen taking his place. According to the Strade Bianche definativo startlist and BMC team website Van Avermaet is starting the Strade and Van Garderen is still in Paris Nice.

This format for the Spring Classics is fast becoming more trouble than its worth. At least last year the unlimited transfers between races helped to avoid last minute cock ups with inaccurate roster changes. This year it means leaving every race until the last minute to save wasting transfers.

Is Avermaet in or out?  102

I feel your pain. I picked my team this morning when I had a spare ten minutes, 6 wasted transfers  2

chiv30 replied to Nix | 9 years ago
0 likes
Nix wrote:

Trades are unlimited now.

The idea we could plan ahead lasted 1 race when prices and the number of trades changed. As I predicted, we can't get reliable future startlist info or weather info so it is dumb to try to plan even a week ahead with trades.

Instead we have 2 competitions cobbled together.
- a 5 rider unlimited trade comp with 140 credit budget.
- plus a 3 rider purist no trade comp with 10 credit budget.
Scores from both comps are added together.

An unlimited trade game with an 8 man team is easy to play - to put in a team. But hard to optimise because of the large number of combinations. Then you have to try and correctly try to optimise that over 13 weeks; it is very hard to win. Just because it is easy to put in a starting team for new players doesn't mean it is an easy competition to finish in the top 100. But at least your time is spent thinking about cycling and races (interesting sfuff), instead of tedious trawling through startlists and news reports (boring stuff).

20  20

chiv30 replied to Nix | 9 years ago
0 likes
Nix wrote:

Cretin30 can't string two words together so has to resort to inane pictures.

Nah after your last comment about not beinG able to understand my posts I took it as you struggle to read so gave you pictures to look at instead that conveys perfectly what I think of your post

Now crack on with yet more whining  103

Pages

Latest Comments