Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Thinking about a hybrid... sorry!

I’m thinking about getting myself a hybrid bike… *runs and hides*

I love riding the road bike, but it’s not exactly an all-weather, all-purpose machine…

I have admittedly been using it for commuting, but outings on wet or slippery roads are always a slightly nervous affair, so I’m looking for a bike which gives me a bit more confidence in those situations, as well as something which I don't need to wear cleats just to pop down the shops on.

I suspect I’m actually not alone on here in wanting (or at least having a need for) such a bike, so who’s brave enough to admit they own one and offer up anything in the way of recommendations?!

It's all a bit of a minefield though... There's bikes classed as "hybrids" which basically have road bike gearing and tyres but flat bars, but then there's also "hybrids" that are basically what I would've once known as hardtail mountain bikes.

I'm just after something reasonably light and nimble. Suspension forks I would happily take or leave, but discs and wider tyres would be desirable, as much so it can handle the odd foray around the trails of the local country park. I'm a bit lost on the Shimano off-road groupset hierachy too!

It will likely be another cycle-to-work purchase, but I’d really like to keep it on the lower £500 limit if at all possible. Main thinking is to placate the wife, but also so the savings aren't completely eroded if it doesn't get the use and I decide to get rid after a year.

The Cannondale Bad Boy range has caught my eye, but even the cheapest one exceeds my desired budget unless I can get a late season sale deal in a few months’ time. There's otherwise the ubiquitous offerings from the likes of Trek, Giant and Specialized, all of which appear to offer value at/below the £500 mark.

Anything else I should be considering though?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

jollygoodvelo replied to Shades | 9 years ago
0 likes
Shades wrote:

I quite like the CX bikes with some 'chicken' brake levers for urban riding. Add mudguards and a pannier, although then you're into Tourers. I've got a 2000 Cannondale H700 hybrid which, although it's heavy, just does 'everything'. Bit of an 'old friend' but just did a carbon fork/disc brake upgrade which has lightened it up a bit. The other snag with urban bikes is you need to lug a decent lock around which just adds to the weight. That said, I do an 18 mile commute and log my rides. Nominally it's an hour but the hybrids average journey time (mainly winter) is only 10min slower than my road bike. In the sections of the ride where you're stopping at lights/junctions, the type of bike makes no difference as the hybrids/MTBs just catch up with you when you're stopped.

I think the 'chicken levers' are pointless. I only ever use mine when I'm sitting at downhill traffic lights.  4

MKultra | 9 years ago
0 likes

I got one of the EBC Couriers as a short term replacement for my fixed after the BB got stripped out. I flipped the wheel to the fixed sprocket and ditched the freewheel, replaced the weird short stem and riser bar with a 120mm stem with flats and bar ends. The chain ring had to go as it was stamped steel and got eaten in 3 months flat. Still a good buy for the money just be aware they look small for their size as the frames are almost identical to cheaper Kona ones and have the same extended seat tube.

dunnoh | 9 years ago
0 likes

Have a look at Edinburgh Bicycle range. I have a Courier with Nexus gears and its been ace. They do a race version now with disks and the top one has Alfine and belt drive.

If you want to commute in all weathers get a single speed or a drum gear bike - although the oil froze on a few occasions and i could barely get to work.

The only issue for me, is that now I ride the road bike all the time, I cant face riding the Hybrid. The position is so bad. So I may bite the bullet and get rid of both my bikes and get a Cyclocross frame with Disks and Di2 and mudguards and bigger 28 mm tyres and use that for everything. I'm just worried that the Di2 rear mech would fail in the Manchester winters.

Chuck | 9 years ago
1 like

The snobbery shown towards hybrids is a shame IMO, they can make cracking urban bikes, or just 'bikes' for most people. I had a Trek 7500 FX for a few years (until it got nicked) and it was a great bit of urban transport- I'd pick it over my road bike for riding to work on any day*. I did London to Brighton on it too with no real problems. Effectively as fast around town as my road bike and a bit better on canal towpaths and stuff too.

Anyway, I'd second most of what jacknorell said: room for tyres up to 32mm, full guards, discs if possible, and no suspension- should be plenty of fastish options from makes like Hoy, Boardman , Pinnacle etc. I think Specialized Sirruses(?) are pretty popular choices too.

*Depends on your route to work of course!

jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes

Go for it, the only thing I miss are the more varied hand positions.

More than made up for by having my fingers resting on the disc brake lever.

Helps avoid the inevitable black cab/iPodian/scooter...

Shimano off-road kit down to Alivio is all cracking stuff for commuting, XT is overkill by far. SLX is happy medium, but little gain on Alivio.

Oh, hydraulic discs, not cable. Fatter tyres are much better for commuting as well, the roads are... a bit poor. It's ideal if you can (not have to...) get 35mm slicks in, with a proper mudguard.

glynr36 replied to jacknorell | 9 years ago
0 likes
jacknorell wrote:

Shimano off-road kit down to Alivio is all cracking stuff for commuting, XT is overkill by far. SLX is happy medium, but little gain on Alivio.

SLX is a million times nicer feeling and better built than Alivio.
Not as clunky and plastic feeling.

gdmor10 | 9 years ago
0 likes

I have a cannondale bad boy that I bought about 8 years ago and it has been a cracking bike, I put cyclocross tyres on it after I got it and turned it into a go almost anywhere workhorse that I now commute on along the thames path into Reading every day. Although with the bigger tyres on it there is no mudguard clearance so I use a crud catcher.

I did also ride it on the roads at weekend in the winter when I didn't want to spoil my road bikes but I have to admit that when "roadies" see you on a flat bar they tend to ignore you...

I would like to replace it with a cyclocross bike but hard to justify when it already does everything that does and I can put my wee girls child seat on the back of it.

Pages

Latest Comments