Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Womens World Cup

Thought I would get in there before someone starts a thread asking when it will be open.

I am working on things, but there is just no information coming from team or organisers. I've tried many times to get team details for the first race, the Boels Rental Ronde van Drenthe, on 15th March.

So it is currently looking doubtful at best. If that doesn't go ahead, I'll have to wait on Dave's decision, but I would pull the whole womens world cup and replace it with the womens Giro and Tour of Britain.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

140 comments

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

They are both in the startlist....what name is misspelt? Because I took all names from team sites

S. Cecchini DS TOG 11.0
E. Cecchini DS EMF 3.0

Twybaydos replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

They are both in the startlist....what name is misspelt? Because I took all names from team sites

S. Cecchini DS TOG 11.0
E. Cecchini DS EMF 3.0

Gkam. I searched "Cec" and by EMF and couldn't find her. Then saw your post and found her, worked out she's only a 3.0 so didn't wish to draw any further attention to her.

The spelling point was a) with reference to enrique's diligent spellchecking and b) trying to be funny after Friday work drinks.

ChoiceAttack | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Gkam84 and others,

Wanted to get into women's cycling for a while but didn't know how.

Very much going to enjoy building from being crap at the start to knowing the secret riders

Choice Attack

Twybaydos | 10 years ago
0 likes

Elena Cecchini of EMF is also racing, as well of Silvia of Top Girls.

This is important to me, as opposed to misspelling a Slovenian first name, can Elena be entered please

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can see the benefit of spinning the women's races out into a fully separate 'game' (ie separate overall tables etc) rather than it being a subset of the men's game and that way people can really miss out on it if that's what they want to do without it affecting their league score.

I agree though Gkam, it's nice to see new users engaging on the forums thanks to the women's racing.

Joelsim replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I can see the benefit of spinning the women's races out into a fully separate 'game' (ie separate overall tables etc) rather than it being a subset of the men's game and that way people can really miss out on it if that's what they want to do without it affecting their league score.

I agree though Gkam, it's nice to see new users engaging on the forums thanks to the women's racing.

Exactly this. I don't want this to affect my league score as I know nothing. Happy to play it and get to learn about the riders but would much prefer it to be a separate table.

cgipryan replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Exactly this. I don't want this to affect my league score as I know nothing. Happy to play it and get to learn about the riders but would much prefer it to be a separate table.

I totally agree with this... especially so since this morning, after 10 minutes of research I decided to do the unthinkable: pick a team without bothering to look for the profile of the race, since I have no clue who's a sprinter, a climber, a rouleur and what have you...

simon F replied to Joelsim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Joelsim wrote:

But we're almost all in the same boat as regards knowledge, just as many of us were about most of the men's racing a few years ago. Overall league scores don't count for much anyway so it wouldn't affect the comps you do want to race.

The game's already quite complex without adding a new set of overall tables to it and, as far as I can tell, it's called fantasy cycling, not fantasy men's cycling.

Having said all that, I'll continue to play whichever way decisions go but I'd prefer not to see the real world balkanisation of the sport continued into, and reflected by, the game.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think that is what alot of people will do, pick a few riders they have heard of and hope for the best.

But as you said, You would have done the same with the mens a while back.

Lets just see how the world cup goes, I see it has already attracted some new users. So if things go well, I see things being a little different next year..

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have to be honest my first reaction was along the lines of "women's racing, I know nothing and cannot be bothered". but upon reflection, I thought I knew nothing about mens cycling two years ago, and look where I am now. let's give it a go. I don't have a lot of time for it, so picked the four biggest names that have done well recently and I vaguely recognised, and threw in some cheaper ones to go with them. It's a great way to learn. Well done chaps for broadening my horizon.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

ARGH  14 It has been changed.

There were supposed to only be 4 between the two races belong. because they teams will be the same...

Open de Suède Vargarda TTT
Open de Suède Vargarda

FirstCycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

Transfer in womens purist?

drheaton replied to FirstCycling | 10 years ago
0 likes
FirstCycling wrote:

Transfer in womens purist?

Yep, they work like the men's classics.

FirstCycling replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

OK  41

leortp | 10 years ago
0 likes

Am I missing something?

The women's races aren't instead of something. If you don't have time to research, don't really care, can't do it for whatever reason - that's fine. Just don't do it.

Let the people who can do it/do want to do it just enjoy it.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

The information is out there if you go an look for it.

I'd always followed cycling but to me that was just watching as much of the TdF as I could each year and that was it. It wasn't until I started playing this game as it expanded into more race than just the TdF that I actually started to learn about the scene, the different races and more importantly any of the riders.

This game taught me the difference between a Jesus Hernandez and a Jesus Herrada, until I played this game I knew next to nothing about the pro-peloton outside of a small handful of household names.

This is the position that a lot of people will find themselves in with the Women's races to start with but a little digging will tell you plenty about form riders and before long we'll all know the difference between Giorgia Bronzini and Elisa Longo Borghini or Anna Van Der Breggen and Annemiek Van Vleuten.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nope, Dave is the star, he just gives me a canvass to look good. All I do is program in all the riders and teams, tick some boxes for the start lists and press a few buttons....after a weeks research getting things together of course.

The womens has been my most stressful part to run so far. It has taken me a long time to get everything together. But hopefully it will all go smoothly

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fantastic, thanks GKam - you're a star

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

135. Based on the calculations.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Fairly low prices, what's the budget?

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm sorry it has taken so long, It should be open soon, I've set it up, Dave will be opening it whenever he gets a chance.

Here is a startlist. The riders are in red because I was using the startlist for something behind the scenes.

The values of each rider are in orange to the left of them.

http://b-kam-cycling.co.uk/deelnemerslijst-15-mrt-Boels-Rental-Worldcup.xls

enrique replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Here is a startlist...
http://b-kam-cycling.co.uk/deelnemerslijst-15-mrt-Boels-Rental-Worldcup.xls

This is really interesting. Is the site b-kam-cycling.co.uk your site? How do you go from Gkam to Bkam?  1 How cool!  1 Is there an Akam, Ckam? Just kidding and ust curious. You may have yourself a brand mae there somewhere!  1 The spreadsheet reads 'Blad 1 Blad 2 Blad 3' instead of 'Sheet 1 Sheet 2 Sheet 3'. What language is that? By the way, how did you arrive at the starting values for this competition? UCI points? PCS points?  1 Just wondering!  1

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

So I'm really pleased we're doing some women's races - they're always exciting to watch. But will it be open soon? I know very little about the riders so might need a fair bit of time to pick my team. Maybe you have a list of rider values you could publish? Just a thought.

Will it be same as Men's classics - eg unlimited transfers for purist? Sorry if I sound impatient but the first race does start in about 36 hours' time...  3

simon F replied to chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Will it be same as Men's classics - eg unlimited transfers for purist?

This seemed to get a bit lost in the other discussions. Was there an answer anywhere?

Actually, forget it - I just did what I should have done before and looked at the competition stage info.

Sorry for troubling you all.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Jesus people. I leave you alone for 5 minutes (half a day) and all hell explodes.

I have to agree with Mooleur though.

Results for the world cup are easy to get. That is why I went for it over stage races. The only womens stage race will be the Tour of Britain and then we will look at things for next season.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree drh women's cycling is interesting racing so I'm happy it's in , and btw I'm always calm  1

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Everyone needs to calm down a little bit. I think most people would welcome the addition of the women's races and it was a feature many people have requested but I also think those people who think the game is getting too big have an opinion which is worth listening to. Not every race we've added over the past couple of years has worked and the women's races do need to justify inclusion so we'll see how they do. I hope from a racing and organisational point of view they work but if results are non-existent it'll be hard to keep running them in the future.

On the point about not knowing women riders I think for nearly all fantasy players that point was true about the men before they started playing. Past about a dozen riders very few are known names to those who don't follow cycling religiously so I think adding the women's races into the game will really help with that.

cgipryan replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Everyone needs to calm down a little bit. I think most people would welcome the addition of the women's races and it was a feature many people have requested but I also think those people who think the game is getting too big have an opinion which is worth listening to. Not every race we've added over the past couple of years has worked and the women's races do need to justify inclusion so we'll see how they do. I hope from a racing and organisational point of view they work but if results are non-existent it'll be hard to keep running them in the future.

On the point about not knowing women riders I think for nearly all fantasy players that point was true about the men before they started playing. Past about a dozen riders very few are known names to those who don't follow cycling religiously so I think adding the women's races into the game will really help with that.

Can't speak for others, but the whole point of the game seemed to me to be about predicting results of races in which we know most riders (and even before starting playing, this was the case, at least for me). As for women, Vos is the only name I know from the Worlds of previous years: as I was waiting for the men's races to begin, there were always reruns of women's races and the commentary I always heard was that Vos had yet again missed her chance of becoming world champ (I think that spell ended last year, but I'm obviously not sure since I know nothing about it).
On the other hand, introducing these races was probably discussed on the forum last year (wasn't paying attention much) and was probably agreed by most, so there's nothing to do. But for those aiming at a placing in the year-long overalls in the game it will be kind of weird to do so by simply guessing, i.e. by relying on abstract information about previous races' results and not on their personal experience about what a rider can do on a particular terrain...
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to say that women's cycling is useless, all I'm saying is that I don't even have time to watch many of the men's races that I want to see, let alone women's races...

simon F replied to drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

I'd agree with that bit. I may now know a lot of riders names, and to a lesser extent their abilities, but that certainly wasn't the case when I started playing this game. I'm just back in the same position for the women's races that I was then for the men's. If we don't watch, we'll never learn and then there'll be a whole bunch of top racers we don't know about which seems a waste. I've tried to follow women's racing a bit more over the last couple of years but this game is what will probably spur me into finding out more about what seems to me to be, in general, more open and interesting racing.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some of the comments on this thread actually made me do a small sick in my mouth. @Ray Silvester - you are either a huge troll or incredibly stupid, either way your understanding of cycling, let alone women's cycling, probably needs improving.

Great effort GKam & thanks for putting this together - I know how frustrating getting info out of some of the events can be.

Pages

Latest Comments