Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is Wiggle in some sort of trouble?

I've been using Wiggle for online shopping since I can't remember. I ride and my son is a triathlete so I buy not just bike gear but running and swimming gear as well. Whenever anything didn't fit I just sent it back and there never was any problem over all these years. I recently bought a Belgian Style winter hat that I thought would be great as it covers up the ears very well and is waterproof and wind proof. Trouble is it didn't fit. So I sent it back. Then I get an email saying because I tried the hat on they won't replace or refund. I checked the wording and it does say you have to send it back un-used so technically trying it on for size and actually using it means you can't return it. So letter of the law wise they are standing on their policy. But this is new. In the past this hasn't happened. So, anyone else suddenly having problems with Wiggle? Are they in some sort of financial trouble? Or why the sudden jobsworth attitude on returns?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

43 comments

Chuck replied to Nixster | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nixster wrote:

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 with my last one  3

Goldfever4 replied to Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes
Chuck wrote:
Nixster wrote:

Didn't get my Haribo with my last order though! I am prepared to overlook that once however  3

If it makes you feel any better, I got 2 with my last one  3

I got an order on Thursday, no haribo too! Wiggle not feeling the Christmas spirit apparently....

jmaccelari | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've just returned some winter gloves (last week) with no hassles and very prompt service.

Chuck | 10 years ago
0 likes

I imagine they might quibble if they think something's been used in anger rather than just tried on. Never had any problems returning clothes myself.

Rockplough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sent back a Sugoi jersey just recently due to it being crap quality and a poor fit. No quibbles from Wiggle on that occasion.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Odd, ordered a pair of swimming costumes for the SO, both tried on and both got sent back refunded with no questions?

Topcat replied to mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes
mrmo wrote:

Odd, ordered a pair of swimming costumes for the SO, both tried on and both got sent back refunded with no questions?

That's a result, no retailer has to accept swimwear or underwear back. Even the distance selling regulations provide an exemption for items like this. It's good to see retailers using a bit of common sense.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

under the distance selling regulations you have a duty of care as a consumer to take reasonable care of goods but a retailer can't insist that a product is returned new and unopened. That's a breach of the regulations. it doesn't matter what their 'policy' is

DanTe | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had exactly the same set of circumstances with a pair of pricey Gore bibs. They eventually did go back but not without a struggle.
The struggle I had with Wiggle revolved around the wash/not wash returned clothing. One guy said wash it, the other said you can't have your cash back because you've washed it.
I still use Wiggle but nowhere as much as I did.
They have to be careful as a faceless organisation as I've heard lots of similar complaints.

Recently I've had extremely good customer service from Chain Reaction in a situation that could quite reasonably of gone the other way.
Also exceptional no questions asked service on the return of a cracked Ksyrium Elite to Merlin Cycles.

oozaveared replied to DanTe | 10 years ago
0 likes
DanTe wrote:

I had exactly the same set of circumstances with a pair of pricey Gore bibs. They eventually did go back but not without a struggle.
The struggle I had with Wiggle revolved around the wash/not wash returned clothing. One guy said wash it, the other said you can't have your cash back because you've washed it.
I still use Wiggle but nowhere as much as I did.
They have to be careful as a faceless organisation as I've heard lots of similar complaints.

Recently I've had extremely good customer service from Chain Reaction in a situation that could quite reasonably of gone the other way.
Also exceptional no questions asked service on the return of a cracked Ksyrium Elite to Merlin Cycles.

Well yes. That why I think there must have been a change of policy or something. I have sent loads of stiff back in the past including some Gore 3/4 waist tights. They just refunded and not a murmur. And they don't just go on your head either.

drfabulous0 replied to oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

Wiggle? Are they in some sort of financial trouble?

It's the bike trade, it's winter.

Shep73 | 10 years ago
0 likes

This sounds strange, my reason for saying so is that Wiggle donate all returned items to a bike jumble in Tetbury. This includes clothes that had been sent back so they obviously used to refund/replace.

On a side note it's worth a visit, I Paid £35 for a Garmin cadence sensor and a K edge mount.

mooleur | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've always found them to be touch & go. I've not done any returns with them but sometimes when I've ordered "in stock" items I've had to mail them a few weeks later asking whats going on only to be told "we're waiting for it to come in from the supplier, we don't have a timescale".

In the same breath, though, I've had people apologise profusely for the same or similar problems and issue me a full refund and some vouchers by way of apology!

I'd keep arguing your point (in a friendly way of course!) - I'd say you've probably just got a grumpybum at the other end. As long as the hats got all it's labels etc on and it's in exactly the same condition as it was when you opened the package then it should be fine. Double check their returns policy on hats & accessories too it might be a case of that's just what they do.

Pages

Latest Comments