Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

is it me or are the roads super slippy at the mo?

It seems like the lack of rain (down south anyway) has combined with the grit/salt that the local councils have put down and the damp dewy air to produce a suface worse than ice. Never thought id be wishing for rain. Hopefully when it does come itll wash the roads clean a bit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

74 comments

700c replied to Goldfever4 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Goldfever4 wrote:
700c wrote:
Cridge wrote:

I'm running Gatorskins, they are 23's and they are impeccable, I have dropped the pressure down to 85 but the only slip I get is uphill (out the saddle) and hard on the brakes - I won't buy a different tyre, yes the roads are more slippery than usual but I can only tell because those I ride with keep slipping and that's on a multitude of tyres?

can anyone recommend a tyre that does not skid going up steep-ish hills when out of the saddle? or is it completely unavoidable?

I'm really struggling with this at the moment, but to be honest the same problem affects me during summer as well when the gradients get above 15% or so

I posted a topic on here before about this and consensus was my technique was poor - which I've tried to work on this by not pulling on the bars, keeping weight back etc, but still get the slipping..

What gear are you in? Sounds like your gear is quite high, cadence low, and consequently you're putting a lot of pressure at an early part of the pedal stroke.

I'd say you have 2 options, one cheap and one not so - even out the pedal stroke / put your arse back further, or get a pizza dish

Thanks all, for your responses. Gearing is 34X25 at the lowest. Inevitably when the road gets really steep my cadence drops (that could be addressed in part by fitness, I accept) - and hence I feel the need to stand up just to keep momentum.

I think the fact that I don't get this on a mountain bike would suggest either or both gearing and traction are the problem.

I'm doing the 'coast to coast in a day' in June and I know that Hardknott and Wrynose will be a huge challenge in this respect. I am not sure if it is even possible to get up those on a 34X25, let alone without the wheel slipping issue (though if that starts on a 30% incline I know it would finish me off). I am reluctant to change gearing to something like 34 X 28, which would compromise my riding in every other respect, so may have to embrace the 'walk of shame' for a few hundred yards!

Chuck replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

I'm doing the 'coast to coast in a day' in June and I know that Hardknott and Wrynose will be a huge challenge in this respect. I am not sure if it is even possible to get up those on a 34X25, let alone without the wheel slipping issue (though if that starts on a 30% incline I know it would finish me off). I am reluctant to change gearing to something like 34 X 28, which would compromise my riding in every other respect, so may have to embrace the 'walk of shame' for a few hundred yards!

I did the C2C in a day this year and had to walk Hardknott and Wrynose, on 34x25. First time I've ever had to get off and walk on the road. Lots of people had 28s, but I'm sure plenty of the people who got up it without walking didn't. I had a bit of wheelspin but it wasn't that that literally stopped me in my tracks- just too steep for me!
I've managed 25% on the same gearing before but this was that bit more!

pdf500 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Re: 700c I did that ride and used 34x27. I trained hard on 34x25 so I could literally find an extra gear come the big day. I don't see how it would compromise your riding to switch to, say, 12-27 instead of 11-25. There's nothing begging for an 11t on that route. Having to walk would compromise my riding!

Goldfever4 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:
Goldfever4 wrote:
700c wrote:
Cridge wrote:

I'm running Gatorskins, they are 23's and they are impeccable, I have dropped the pressure down to 85 but the only slip I get is uphill (out the saddle) and hard on the brakes - I won't buy a different tyre, yes the roads are more slippery than usual but I can only tell because those I ride with keep slipping and that's on a multitude of tyres?

can anyone recommend a tyre that does not skid going up steep-ish hills when out of the saddle? or is it completely unavoidable?

I'm really struggling with this at the moment, but to be honest the same problem affects me during summer as well when the gradients get above 15% or so

I posted a topic on here before about this and consensus was my technique was poor - which I've tried to work on this by not pulling on the bars, keeping weight back etc, but still get the slipping..

What gear are you in? Sounds like your gear is quite high, cadence low, and consequently you're putting a lot of pressure at an early part of the pedal stroke.

I'd say you have 2 options, one cheap and one not so - even out the pedal stroke / put your arse back further, or get a pizza dish

Thanks all, for your responses. Gearing is 34X25 at the lowest. Inevitably when the road gets really steep my cadence drops (that could be addressed in part by fitness, I accept) - and hence I feel the need to stand up just to keep momentum.

I think the fact that I don't get this on a mountain bike would suggest either or both gearing and traction are the problem.

Couple more thoughts:

-I've read that Gatorskins aren't the grippiest tyre. Maybe try a Continental GP 4 seasons? Similar tyre but supposed to be an improvement (I use the Gators too)
-Have you thought about adjusting the saddle backwards a bit (i.e. putting your weight further back when in the saddle)?
-I can't see any reason why moving to 12-28 would impair your cycling as much as walking would! (reiterating the point made by someone else)

glynr36 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Had my first slide yesterday, Open Paves but still running a higher pressure, dropped 15 PSI out of each end for todays ride.

kie7077 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agree about Gatorskins being slippy, I think it's due to their rigidity and long wearing compound. Currently been using Michelin Pro 4 Service Course and their grip is awesome... But after 800ish miles the rear is looking quite cut up by road debris, price and weight are good though.

dottigirl | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gatorskins are known as 'Skaterskins' in some quarters, due to their 'slippage'.

I'm on Conti 4000s (23s) and rarely skid/slip. On a club rides this autumn, I've been hammering it down hills with others a way behind. Many have complained about skidding/slipping, but I haven't noticed.

If you want something more hardwearing (or if you have a larger frame), the Four Seasons is a suitable alternative, and if you have the clearance, 25s are supposed to give a better grip.

David Arthur @d... | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's easy to blame the tyres. I slipped on a roundabout last week on a pair of Vittoria Open Pave 23mm tyres at 90psi, and they are about the best tyres you can get.

Letting a bit of pressure helps a bit, I run my tyres at about 90-95 year round these days, especially in the winter. Only inflate them for crit racing really.

Best thing is to be super careful through the corners and bends, scrub off speed before you get to the corner, safely make the turn, then carry on.

Roberj4 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Panaracer tires are superb for grip in winter but are a very expensive option. I'm running 25c Gatorskins which at 110 psi I did tumble on diesel in January so now run them at 90psi on a damp day much better

tom_w | 10 years ago
0 likes

Our club had two riders crash last week on the same night and we also had numerous nasty slidey moments in corners and people complaining of wheelspin on hills. The roads looked pretty much dry that night (hadn't rained for days) and this was on reasonable tarmac with no obvious moisture/leaves/loose grit/big lumps of salt/etc. so I'm putting it down to the salt as it was nowhere near freezing. We're Oxford based.

I'm switching over to 27mm Open Paves at lower pressures in the hope of finding a bit more grip, but I don't think it's really got much to with tyres considering the mix of brands and designs my clubmates are running.

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

I also had a rare mishap recently - front wheel slid out at low speed when crossing a small central ridge in an uneven but dry cycle path. Moral of the story: that's what you get for riding 25c slick summer tyres in November! There is something to be said for selecting a wide grippy tyre for the winter months and sacrificing some speed.

Ting | 10 years ago
0 likes

As always I'm on 23mm Gatorskins. Touch wood no offs yet but now I've said it I'll be sure to bin it tomorrow!
Just take it easy - easy to do when it's pitch dark and you can't see properly. To be fair I'm mostly on arterial roads but I've not had too many problems even when I'm in the lanes.

ficklewhippet | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think peeps can pin the blame on a particular brand of tyres; the road conditions at the moment are such that pretty much all tyre brands' grip will break away.

nebz | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had my first off 2 days ago whilst descending a hill (slowly). I was wheel spinning going up so i knew it was slippy but i still lost it on the way down. Turns out i could barely walk on the road and i had difficulty re mounting my bike as a result. I won't be using back country roads in wet weather again!

stenmeister | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off two weeks ago and got a concussion. I remember cycling through some puddles and then bang so not sure if it was surface water or black ice. As with many here, I had gatorskins on.

oozaveared | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hell. I was off last week. First time in years (except on ice in Jan 2012). Just thought it was me rather than it being a trend.

I feel a bit better now (or is it wrong to say that?)

SamShaw | 10 years ago
0 likes

Broke my thumb last year after slipping on greasy roads... ok it was combined with excess speed but it was like going down on ice - no warning whatsoever.

http://road.cc/content/blog/69805-binning-it-never-nice

Also came off on the first icy day this year "luckily" at 4mph so no damage done.

I'm no longer interested in trying to train before work if the roads are dodgy and either run to work or have the bike in the office on a turbo.

lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh and the grit/salt is mixed with wee as well! Went to a 2 hour presentation about it with work last year....yummy

mrmo replied to lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes
lookmanohands wrote:

Oh and the grit/salt is mixed with wee as well! Went to a 2 hour presentation about it with work last year....yummy

Ian, there are somethings best unknown!

giff77 replied to lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes
lookmanohands wrote:

Another reason to use full mudguards.

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Interesting this, I had numerous rear slides cornering yesterday for the first time in ages. Was ready to bin my gatorskins but seemed much better today. Combination of dust/dirt and light rain was my guess.

Geoffroid | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some Local Authorities use a molasses coated salt to grit the roads and this seems to leave a slippery surface, particularly as spilt diesel then sits on it. I drove from Hexham to Gateshead the other day and it was noticeable that when I got to Gateshead the roads were black and moist and slippery, unlike Northumberland.

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nothing's going to help on smoth tarmac with a bit of damp and a film of oily gak from motor vehicles. Had one wobble at very low speed (I'd almost stopped, was accelerating) whilst turning tight on a busy road. Spphincter tightening.

James Warrener | 10 years ago
0 likes

I broke mine with my elbow fracturing it  2

woollee23 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I came off yesterday on an innocuous left-hand bend. Road seemed very slippery on inspection. I reckon the damp conditions combined with diesel fumes is creating a layer of layer of oil which, once you hit it, is akin to riding on black ice.

It's OK though... I broke the fall with my face  40

mrmo replied to woollee23 | 10 years ago
0 likes
woollee23 wrote:

I came off yesterday on an innocuous left-hand bend. Road seemed very slippery on inspection. I reckon the damp conditions combined with diesel fumes is creating a layer of layer of oil which, once you hit it, is akin to riding on black ice.

It's OK though... I broke the fall with my face  40

Important thing,

Is the bike ok?

lookmanohands | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well, it rained a bit this morning now everything is covered in brown grey sludge and still just as slippy  20

comm88 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Phew!!!! - I thought it was just me!!!! Had my first "unforced" crash in years just the other day.

Wrote this earlier on another post about winter tyres, but I too have "suffered" a totally unexpected fall...

Was a massive fan of Gatorskins ... until I got dumped the other day!!

It wasn't a particularly wet day. Damp, but with v little surface water and mostly dry. Hump backed bridge with keen right hander was a bit wet so I rode gingerly having had a backend slither on farmer's mud a little earlier, but I went down heavily - and suddenly - ripping my Asos gloves (yet again!) - thank god for Goretex repair patches!! - holing my leggings and ripping my bootee & hi viz (sorry guys, I want to live!!) over jacket.

Odd. I've ridden Gatorskins in winter for years, but I do have to question their grip in the wet. I skinned my elbow and hip, even though I was completely covered with kit, but I'm a bit wary now of riding again in the wet, damp days of winter.

May now look seriously at something with a bit of tread...

Mat Brett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, totally agree. Bit of rain today might clean the roads a bit. They're a nightmare at the moment.

kie7077 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can't find any studded tyres for road bikes - are there any that don't cost over £40 each?

Pages

Latest Comments