Home
The bike commemorates the 20th anniversary of Marco Pantani's Giro d'Italia and Tour de France double, a feat only achieved by seven riders in history

It might only be 19 years since the late Marco Pantani won the Giro D'Italia and Tour de France in the same year - however Bianchi have released details of this Specialissima a year early with the same colour scheme as the Mega Pro XL that Pantani rode to his famous double in 1998. 

Review: Bianchi Oltre XR3 Potenza

​Bianchi launches Aria road bike

While the Mega Pro XL was made with light aluminium, the Specialissima is all-carbon and superlight, built for climbers like Pantani himself. The frame and fork are hand-painted, with a recreated Bianchi eagle badge in the same gold colours as on Pantani's bike adorning the head tube. The frame is 780g, with Bianchi's 'Countervail' vibration cancelling technology for a smooth and stable ride. 

 

bianchi Pantani fork.jpg

bianchi Pantani fork.jpg

 

The bike is built with light components to compliment the frame, with a Campagnolo Super Record mechanical groupset, Bora Ultra 35 tubular wheels and a gold FSA K-Force carbon stem. 

There's no information available on when the bike is set to land, pricing or how many will go on sale just yet, but we're guessing it will only be through a small number of Bianchi dealers should you want to enquire about owning this slice of cycling history....

 

 

After cobbling together a few hundred quid during his student days off the back of a hard winter selling hats (long story), Jack bought his first road bike at the age of 20 and has been hooked ever since.  He joined road.cc in 2017, having previously worked for 220 Triathlon magazine. Jack's preferred events are time trials, sportives, triathlons and pogo sticking (the latter being another long story), and on Sunday afternoons he can often be found on an M5 service station indulging in his favourite post-race meal of 20 chicken nuggets, a sausage roll, caramel shortbread and a large strawberry milkshake. 

46 comments

Avatar
Swiss [62 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

Nice

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.....

If Record still came in silver, I'd remortgage the house for one of those. However, as it's a black groupset, I'm only prepared to sell one of the kids.

Avatar
Chris Hayes [145 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

That's one for my Veloporn collection! 

Avatar
srchar [541 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

I need this with aluminium Athena on it.

Avatar
Nick T [1075 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.....

If Record still came in silver, I'd remortgage the house for one of those. However, as it's a black groupset, I'm only prepared to sell one of the kids.

 

potenza?

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Potenza? Nah... Needs Record.

I absolutely LOVED the painting on the Mega Pro frames... But I'm glad I never bought one as they were generally short lived.

I built this as a substitute a few months ago as it reminded me (vaguely, obviously) of the Pantani era Bianchi... And yes, I know there's black bits in the groupset.

//i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p481/kengillies10/IMAG0868-2_zps8txrnwqs.jpg)

 

Avatar
srchar [541 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Not the best Photoshop ever, but you get the idea...

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Stick some Celeste tyres on and you have a deal.

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

Not sure I'd be celebrating the wins of one of the biggest dopers in cycling.  What next, the Lance Armstrong TdF bike?

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
7 likes

Breaking news... Most pro cyclists in the 80's and 90's doped. I'm terribly vexxed for the clean minority who weren't able to compete on a fair stage, but it is what it was... In so many sports at the time.

It's been done to death... Sadly, literally, in Pantani's case.

I'm over it.

Maybe I have a thing for dopers though... I own a PDM team issue Concorde from 1988... Now there was a team who knew how to take drugs.

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Breaking news... Most pro cyclists in the 80's and 90's doped. I'm terribly vexxed for the clean minority who weren't able to compete on a fair stage, but it is what it was... In so many sports at the time. It's been done to death... Sadly, literally, in Pantani's case. I'm over it. Maybe I have a thing for dopers though... I own a PDM team issue Concorde from 1988... Now there was a team who knew how to take drugs.

I'm so sorry, I must have missed the ethics lessons about two wrongs making a right and any illegal, immoral behaviour is acceptable because everyone else is doing it.

Tell, me would you buy a Lance Armstrong TdF special?  If not, perhaps you could explain why you seem to approve of another rider who won by doping.

Pantani doped.  He might have won with just his talent, but we'll never know.  To say that dopiing is acceptable because other people did it is immoral and unethical.  Who responded  best to the drugs won, not the best athlete.

Avatar
cyclisto [223 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

A bit too 90s paint scheme for my taste. But Campy oughts to make a nice alloy vintage machined groupset and even overprice it and still sell like hot cake!

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes

@burt

No need to apologise as you are entitled to your opinion.

I also applaud you for being the first person to ever infer that I am immoral and unethical in my take on life... I can take real pride in that one.

All joking aside though, I feel you've missed my point and indeed your comment regarding Armstrong serves to illustrate that perfectly...

At no point would I condone doping which was and is a highly unsavoury and unfortunate feature of our sport.

However. Until such time as every doper at every level of every sport is retrospectively stripped of any titles or profit made with the assistance of drugs we should not feel obliged to refuse to enjoy the racing that took place.

I'll leave that one to those that get paid to consider and act on compliance and ethics issues within sport and continue to enjoy my memories of some great racing and even better looking bikes...

And back to the bike... Guess what the one thing I really don't like about it is?

The Pantani decal.

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

@burt

However. Until such time as every doper at every level of every sport is retrospectively stripped of any titles or profit made with the assistance of drugs we should not feel obliged to refuse to enjoy the racing that took place.

Even when the racing that took place was fuelled by drugs?  And the winner won not because they were the best athlete, but because they had the best drugs?

I can't help feeling that your utterly absolutist stance is merely adopted to defend your original position.

So tell, me; how do your ethics square supporting a doper who won, but not supporting another who did exactly the same?  Sorry to labour the point, but I thought ethics were kind of fixed, not swayed by personalities.

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
9 likes

Yes, you are labouring a point... And still completely missing mine.

I will continue to enjoy the memories of racing that took place 20 years ago where there was no proof (albeit everyone "knows") doping was present.

The races took place and the results currently still stand and I therefore feel perfectly at will to enjoy the skill and techniques employed by the riders of the day. These elements are not influenced by drugs.

Eg. Pantani was a great tactician and Armstrong was an incredible bike handler.

The extent of doping in those days makes it impossible for me personally to determine who would have won what when if they were all clean. So... Rather than attempting to erase a section of my life, I choose to look at it for what it was until such time as the playing field is truly levelled.

I'm somewhat confused by your interpretation that I support one doper in favour of another but I don't feel the need to seek clarity on where you got that one from.

Please be clear that I do not, and never have condoned doping in sport. Acceptance of what happened historically is very different to supporting it.

With one exception, I'm not going to repeat anything else I've said above so please keep this in the context of what I've already said when you reassert your opinion on my thoroughly unethical stance.

I still love the Mega Pro paintjob, then and now.

Avatar
bobinski [274 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Avatar
Jackson [373 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
burtthebike wrote:

Not sure I'd be celebrating the wins of one of the biggest dopers in cycling.  What next, the Lance Armstrong TdF bike?

Quite right. Also why I refuse to buy a Fender Stratocaster, because illegal drug user Jimi Hendrix played one.

And FYI the only Trek I'd ever buy would be a full US Postal blue/red Lance edition. 

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1641 posts] 1 month ago
2 likes
Jackson wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

Not sure I'd be celebrating the wins of one of the biggest dopers in cycling.  What next, the Lance Armstrong TdF bike?

Quite right. Also why I refuse to buy a Fender Stratocaster, because illegal drug user Jimi Hendrix played one.

And FYI the only Trek I'd ever buy would be a full US Postal blue/red Lance edition. 

Not the same, though, is it? Using drugs doesn't constitute cheating for musicians and artists!

At least, I don't recall anyone proposing to retrospectively strip any of them of their chart-placings and awards for it, and retrospectively giving them to, er...(tries to think of non-drug-using artist)...Cliff Richard and, um, the Osmonds.

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Not the same, though, is it? Using drugs doesn't constitute cheating for musicians and artists!

At least, I don't recall anyone proposing to retrospectively strip any of them of their chart-placings and awards for it, and retrospectively giving them to, er...(tries to think of non-drug-using artist)...Cliff Richard and, um, the Osmonds.

It's obviously very different, but it would be highly amusing to see how the charts looked after a thorough cleansing of recreational or performance enhancing drug use.

I think the better analogy would be to see all novelty records stripped of their chart positions as they clearly had an unfair advantage over real music and hard working muscians. For example, how could Joe Dolce's "Shaddup you face" possibly keep Ultravox's "Vienna" off being number one without something underhand being at play?

Not gonna happen is it? So I might as well remember both songs for what they were at the time.

Did I mention that I absolutely LOVED the Bianchi Mega Pro paintjob?

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [506 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

It's the deep rims that make it look gopping, oh and the ugly CF seatpost. Alloy fluted/90s aero seatpost plus silver box rims and it would look okay but tbh not sold on the colourscheme in any case.

This Rossin seatpost took my eye the other day. £260!

 

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Lmao. That's BLING!

Avatar
ConcordeCX [335 posts] 1 month ago
6 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Lmao. That's BLING!

that's how the other riders recognise which one is their dealer

 

Avatar
rjfrussell [390 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
FluffyKittenofTindalos][quote=Jackson wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

 

Not the same, though, is it? Using drugs doesn't constitute cheating for musicians and artists!

 

Perhaps they should-  hard to see that Sgt Pepper would have sounded anything like as good if they'd just been on tea and sandwiches.

 

With regards the bike:  Emperor's (old) clothes?  I think it looks much less good than the either of the two standard paint jobs.  I saw one in the fluoro celeste in the flesh a couple of weeks ago-  it is just stunning.

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Yes, you are labouring a point... And still completely missing mine. I will continue to enjoy the memories of racing that took place 20 years ago where there was no proof (albeit everyone "knows") doping was present. The races took place and the results currently still stand and I therefore feel perfectly at will to enjoy the skill and techniques employed by the riders of the day. These elements are not influenced by drugs. Eg. Pantani was a great tactician and Armstrong was an incredible bike handler. The extent of doping in those days makes it impossible for me personally to determine who would have won what when if they were all clean. So... Rather than attempting to erase a section of my life, I choose to look at it for what it was until such time as the playing field is truly levelled. I'm somewhat confused by your interpretation that I support one doper in favour of another but I don't feel the need to seek clarity on where you got that one from. Please be clear that I do not, and never have condoned doping in sport. Acceptance of what happened historically is very different to supporting it. With one exception, I'm not going to repeat anything else I've said above so please keep this in the context of what I've already said when you reassert your opinion on my thoroughly unethical stance. I still love the Mega Pro paintjob, then and now.

Thanks.  I'm still missing your point, so perhaps you could sum it up in a sentence or two rather than a wandering essay?

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jackson wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

Not sure I'd be celebrating the wins of one of the biggest dopers in cycling.  What next, the Lance Armstrong TdF bike?

Quite right. Also why I refuse to buy a Fender Stratocaster, because illegal drug user Jimi Hendrix played one.

And FYI the only Trek I'd ever buy would be a full US Postal blue/red Lance edition. 

How many races did Jimi Hendrix win on his Stratocaster?

You won't buy one of those because JH used one and did drugs, but you would buy a bike like the one ridden by the biggest drug cheat in cycling?  I'm confused.

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
burtthebike wrote:
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Yes, you are labouring a point... And still completely missing mine. I will continue to enjoy the memories of racing that took place 20 years ago where there was no proof (albeit everyone "knows") doping was present. The races took place and the results currently still stand and I therefore feel perfectly at will to enjoy the skill and techniques employed by the riders of the day. These elements are not influenced by drugs. Eg. Pantani was a great tactician and Armstrong was an incredible bike handler. The extent of doping in those days makes it impossible for me personally to determine who would have won what when if they were all clean. So... Rather than attempting to erase a section of my life, I choose to look at it for what it was until such time as the playing field is truly levelled. I'm somewhat confused by your interpretation that I support one doper in favour of another but I don't feel the need to seek clarity on where you got that one from. Please be clear that I do not, and never have condoned doping in sport. Acceptance of what happened historically is very different to supporting it. With one exception, I'm not going to repeat anything else I've said above so please keep this in the context of what I've already said when you reassert your opinion on my thoroughly unethical stance. I still love the Mega Pro paintjob, then and now.

Thanks.  I'm still missing your point, so perhaps you could sum it up in a sentence or two rather than a wandering essay?

Lmao. Goodbye.

Avatar
burtthebike [926 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:
burtthebike wrote:
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Yes, you are labouring a point... And still completely missing mine. I will continue to enjoy the memories of racing that took place 20 years ago where there was no proof (albeit everyone "knows") doping was present. The races took place and the results currently still stand and I therefore feel perfectly at will to enjoy the skill and techniques employed by the riders of the day. These elements are not influenced by drugs. Eg. Pantani was a great tactician and Armstrong was an incredible bike handler. The extent of doping in those days makes it impossible for me personally to determine who would have won what when if they were all clean. So... Rather than attempting to erase a section of my life, I choose to look at it for what it was until such time as the playing field is truly levelled. I'm somewhat confused by your interpretation that I support one doper in favour of another but I don't feel the need to seek clarity on where you got that one from. Please be clear that I do not, and never have condoned doping in sport. Acceptance of what happened historically is very different to supporting it. With one exception, I'm not going to repeat anything else I've said above so please keep this in the context of what I've already said when you reassert your opinion on my thoroughly unethical stance. I still love the Mega Pro paintjob, then and now.

Thanks.  I'm still missing your point, so perhaps you could sum it up in a sentence or two rather than a wandering essay?

Lmao. Goodbye.

Glad I've brought some joy to your life, but it's a pity that you really didn't have a point and you just like endlessly waffling on.

Avatar
Jackson [373 posts] 1 month ago
4 likes
burtthebike wrote:
Jackson wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

Not sure I'd be celebrating the wins of one of the biggest dopers in cycling.  What next, the Lance Armstrong TdF bike?

Quite right. Also why I refuse to buy a Fender Stratocaster, because illegal drug user Jimi Hendrix played one.

And FYI the only Trek I'd ever buy would be a full US Postal blue/red Lance edition. 

How many races did Jimi Hendrix win on his Stratocaster?

You won't buy one of those because JH used one and did drugs, but you would buy a bike like the one ridden by the biggest drug cheat in cycling?  I'm confused.

If it's any consolation I can surmise you're fairly well used to the feeling by now. 

Avatar
Jack Osbourne snr [677 posts] 1 month ago
8 likes

No, you're just being a dick.

You've blankly refused to accept that anyone whose opinion may differ to your own may be entitled to have that opinion and may have come to it in a perfectly fair and reasoned manner.

You've also completely missed the humour in this thread and have continued with your polarised view without anything beyond your base assertion that your opinion is the only ethical version of reality.
And now you're adopting a supercilious tone as you seem to think you've won the moral high ground...

I assume I lost you at "No," so allow me to distil this into one sentence...

Fuck off.

 1

Avatar
Rapha Nadal [542 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
rjfrussell]</p>

<p>[quote=FluffyKittenofTindalos

wrote:
Jackson wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

 

Not the same, though, is it? Using drugs doesn't constitute cheating for musicians and artists!

 

Perhaps they should-  hard to see that Sgt Pepper would have sounded anything like as good if they'd just been on tea and sandwiches

Yeah, some of Black Sabbath's greatest stuff was written when they were coked out of their minds. And some of their greatest performances were played in the same state.

Would it have been the same sober?!

Pages