Home
Amid calls for safer roads, Labour have reiterated their desire to prioritise cycling while criticising the coalition government’s priorities

Shadow transport minister Mary Creagh has prioritised better and safer road infrastructure for cyclists in her party’s 2015 manifesto.

Speaking to the Guardian’s Public Leaders Network, she said: “Getting a cycle safety audit into the mainstream of transport planning is very high on our agenda for the next manifesto so that cyclists and pedestrians are not added in as afterthoughts but planned in from the start.”

Ms Creagh's characterisation of current cycling provision as an afterthought is in line with much of the criticism of London's Cycle Superhighways.

Cycle Superhighway 2 has been a particular target for criticism after the deaths of several cyclists on or near it. The non-segregated bike lane's purpose was to allay some of the fears for cyclist safety in the capital, instead it has been a focal point for anger over recent cyclist deaths in the city.

Creagh believes that we are now paying the price for cutting 130,000 jobs in the construction sector and reducing the funding for our roads since the last general election.

“Those people [whose jobs were cut] could have been kept on, and infrastructure and maintenance could have been done over the last three years," she said. "We always said the government had cut too far too fast and a lot of that is being played out now in the degradation of our roads infrastructure.”

Creagh, who is a cyclist herself and cycled from London to Brighton for charity before the Labour Party conference in September, considers the poorly distributed cuts the reason for UK’s World Economic Forum rank of 28 in the infrastructure standings.

Referring to the poor ranking, Creagh said: "That's a bad place to be, our country is crying out for infrastructure spending."

Elliot joined team road.cc bright eyed, bushy tailed, and straight out of university.

Raised in front of cathode ray tube screens bearing the images of Miguel Indurain and Lance Armstrong, Elliot's always had cycling in his veins.
His balance was found on a Y-framed mountain bike around South London suburbs in the 90s, while his first taste of freedom came when he claimed his father's Giant hybrid as his own at age 16.

When Elliot's not writing for road.cc two wheels are still his favoured mode of transport; these days over the undulating streets of Madrid.

16 comments

Avatar
mad_scot_rider [581 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm from Glasgow - we've learned to our cost exactly how far to believe Labour promises - up here we call them the Lie-bor Party

Avatar
P3t3 [258 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

How much of the transport budget are they going to give to cycling. Until we see that number then it is just hollow promises.

Avatar
oozaveared [937 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Oh my giddy aunt. Is that supposed to impress us and make us all vote Labour?

I didn't see significant infrastructure for cyclists being added to or improved between 1997 and 2008 when the country was having a boom and now all of a sudden that same party thinks it will find the money in more austere times.

This isn't a Party political issue and as far as London is concerned (I live outside London) it won't actually wash. At least Boris cycles his bike in London. Labour's previous Mayor said he planned compulsory helmets for cyclists and famously claimed he had never actually ridden a bike (or couldn't I can't remember which now).

Let's be careful of back of the fag paper cycling safety initiatives from politicians. They will do cheap stuff that doesn't affect their vote. They will be making cyclists conform to an agenda about helmets, hi-viz, insurance, training whilst not upsetting motorists ( I am both and so are most adult cyclists).

Now all of that with the exception of helmets (useless but wear one if you like) might be useful. But you can bet your last 10 bob that your high spec Gore or other high viz/ reflective won't count unless you are wearing some committee approved XXXL tabbard. It won't matter that you have a 300 lumen back light on your saddle bag if it isn't attached to the frame of the bag and you don't have a little orange reflector on your nice pedals.

I cite this week when even Boris (thought he knew better) started going on about headphones. Now don't get me wrong I'd never wear headphones cycling and would say to people that I saw doing it that i disapproved. But the point is that it was too easy. Cyclist get killed generally because a motor vehicle hit them. Generally not because they hit stationary vehicles or anything else.

The elephant in the room is the poor standard of driving in the UK (test not a course + experience) and an awful car/driving culture.

Only yesterday a spokesman from the AA came on telly to oppose adding 3 secs to the green man light on pedestrian crossing for old and disabled people to be able to cross. The old standard was from a different age of politeness and brought in when people didn't live so long. The AAs objection was that this would slow down traffic and frustrate drivers.

Now if you get frustrated by allowing an old person an extra 3 secs to cross a road so you can catch up with the back of the traffic then perhaps you aren't psychologically suited to be in charge of a motor vehicle. Why didn't the Beeb interviewer ask whether that was a problem with some motorists?

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

They had 13 years previously... next?

Avatar
mrchrispy [452 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I believe them...they wouldn't just be saying it to get votes would they, they say it because they love and care about us.

 39

Avatar
Ush [691 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

The elephant in the room is the poor standard of driving in the UK (test not a course + experience) and an awful car/driving culture.

Only yesterday a spokesman from the AA came on telly to oppose adding 3 secs to the green man light on pedestrian crossing for old and disabled people to be able to cross. The old standard was from a different age of politeness and brought in when people didn't live so long. The AAs objection was that this would slow down traffic and frustrate drivers.

Now if you get frustrated by allowing an old person an extra 3 secs to cross a road so you can catch up with the back of the traffic then perhaps you aren't psychologically suited to be in charge of a motor vehicle. Why didn't the Beeb interviewer ask whether that was a problem with some motorists?

Your post completely nails the issue.

Avatar
ironmancole [322 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Would second that, the above hits it perfectly. What confuses me is the number of licences the DVLA revoked based on poor eyesight to prevent the chance of that motorist causing death. Quite right too.

In contrast, when a motorist with supposedly good vision actually does kill someone they keep their licence, albeit with a very brief stay on the naughty step. Fail.

Anyone explain that?

As for the political aspect I'd also be highly suspicious.

Avatar
JonD [401 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
oozaveared wrote:

At least Boris cycles his bike in London. Labour's previous Mayor said he planned compulsory helmets for cyclists and famously claimed he had never actually ridden a bike (or couldn't I can't remember which now).

(snip) whilst not upsetting motorists

Reality check.

Congestion charging came in under Livingstone.
Johnson cancelled it's extension, despite C London pollution exceeding limits.

The 'Boris Bikes' scheme could arguably be referred to as 'Ken bikes', since that's when the scheme was initiated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_sharing_system#United_Kingdom

Whilst Livingstone may have made some ill-advised statements, he's been outdone in spades by Johnson.

The problem with Johnson is partly that he cycles - the 'I know better' effect. Livingston may well have been more willing to listen to advice precisely because he doesn't cycle, and may well have had the courage to ban hgvs at peak times - Johnson won't.

northstar wrote:

They had 13 years previously... next?

True..but cycling's undergone a huge increase in the last few years. Which particular party in which paticular decade would you like cite for ignoring cycling? Apart from a few individuals, they've all done it in the past, whoever takes up the baton, good luck to them.

But we've seen from the recent all-parliamentary committee that Cameron does no more than make noises, and the current government will do nothing.

Avatar
crazy-legs [767 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Labour to prioritise safe cycling infrastructure in 2015 manifesto

Labour to jump on every bandwagon going for 2015 manifesto.

Fixed that for you.  1

Avatar
FlatBattery [26 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
crazy-legs wrote:
Quote:

Labour to prioritise safe cycling infrastructure in 2015 manifesto

Labour to jump on every bandwagon going for 2015 manifesto.

Fixed that for you.  1

+1

Avatar
MrGear [87 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

So this is definitely something they have thought through carefully, and not some cheap vote-winner riding on the back of some unfortunate person's death...? ...right?

Avatar
northstar [1108 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
JonD wrote:
oozaveared wrote:

At least Boris cycles his bike in London. Labour's previous Mayor said he planned compulsory helmets for cyclists and famously claimed he had never actually ridden a bike (or couldn't I can't remember which now).

(snip) whilst not upsetting motorists

Reality check.

Congestion charging came in under Livingstone.
Johnson cancelled it's extension, despite C London pollution exceeding limits.

The 'Boris Bikes' scheme could arguably be referred to as 'Ken bikes', since that's when the scheme was initiated:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_sharing_system#United_Kingdom

Whilst Livingstone may have made some ill-advised statements, he's been outdone in spades by Johnson.

The problem with Johnson is partly that he cycles - the 'I know better' effect. Livingston may well have been more willing to listen to advice precisely because he doesn't cycle, and may well have had the courage to ban hgvs at peak times - Johnson won't.

northstar wrote:

They had 13 years previously... next?

True..but cycling's undergone a huge increase in the last few years. Which particular party in which paticular decade would you like cite for ignoring cycling? Apart from a few individuals, they've all done it in the past, whoever takes up the baton, good luck to them.

But we've seen from the recent all-parliamentary committee that Cameron does no more than make noises, and the current government will do nothing.

True nothing, they had their chance - all aboard the next bandwagon.

Avatar
deblemund [263 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Liar liar chamois on fire.

Avatar
arfa [747 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

How do you tell when a politician is lieing ? His/her lips are moving. Anyway an old joke but they're all the same whatever the political label. Bottom line for anyone using two wheels to get about
, this is approaching the time for maximum influence - get on to your mp, tell him/her what matters and why your vote depends on seeing action (even if it is a total lie - hey, it's not like those political whores don't lie to us so strike first). Tell them you want public proclamations of support and commitments - that way they'll all jump to outdo each other if they think there are critical marginal votes in it - seize the moment folks and squeeze them harder than they squeeze us ! 2015 is going to be a close election so don't let the opportunity pass

Avatar
Gkam84 [9086 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
mad_scot_rider wrote:

I'm from Glasgow - we've learned to our cost exactly how far to believe Labour promises - up here we call them the Lie-bor Party

Its ok, we'll be safe north of the border. Its 2015....the year after independence  103

Avatar
Rouboy [91 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I think its so nice that some one is taking things so seriously? Everything is pink and fluffy and all issues will be resolved ever so soon.
YEAH RIGHT!!!!