LCC demands Cycle Super-highways not 'Cycle superficial-highways'
Mayor invited to sign manifesto on Sunday
On the day that 50,000 cyclists in the capital will enjoy truly cycle-friendly streets for the Mayor of London’s Skyride, the London Cycling Campaign is inviting Mayor Boris Johnson to set clear cycle-friendly quality standards for his 12 Cycle Superhighways.
LCC has laid out Cycle Superhighway quality standards in the form of a manifesto and is asking London cyclists to sign up and demand these standards for the Cycle Superhighways.
Chief executive Koy Thomson said: "It's high-quality cycle routes not a wash of blue paint that'll attract occasional cyclists into regular cycle commuting. We're concerned at a weakening of commitment to such quality on the proposed Cycle Superhighways.
“The mayor needs to step in and make clear that he's aiming for standards that'll be the envy of Europe. We'll be inviting the Mayor to sign our manifesto."
LCC expects support to build for its manifesto this weekend at Skyride, which is this Sunday. The manifesto says:
I want Cycle Superhighways that...
1) Make my journey a pleasant experience and not a daily struggle for space.
2) Give me and other cyclists priority over motor traffic.
3) Include sections free of motor traffic.
4) Stop buses, lorries and cars passing too close and too fast.
5) Keep my path free of parked cars and the danger of opening car doors.
6) Enable me to cycle at the speed I prefer.
7) Don't force me to cross lanes of fast-moving traffic.
8) Do away with hazardous or difficult one-way systems and roundabouts.
9) Are continuous and don't stop and start.
10) Allow me to stop at red lights ahead of other traffic and move off first.
The Mayor of London’s Skyride will take riders past Buckingham Palace, St Paul’s Cathedral and The Tower of London and will allow cyclists of all ages and abilities the chance to enjoy a traffic-free capital for the day and provide a unique opportunity to see London in a new light. There will also be a variety of activities to create a carnival atmosphere in the capital.
Free registration for Mayor of London’s Skyride is easy - visit www.goskyride.com to make sure you get involved.