Renshaw loses tooth and injures collarbone, while Bos is being treated for leg injuries; Kruopis avoids carnage to win

Blanco Pro Cycling are counting the cost of a huge crash inside the final kilometre of this afternoon’s Stage 2 of the Tour of Turkey involving several of its riders, with Mark Renshaw suffering concussion, losing a tooth and fracturing his collarbone as well as damaging muscles in his neck, while Theo Bos was treated in hospital for a leg injury, although the team has confimed he has no broken bones.

There was uncertainty for several hours regarding the extent of the riders' injuries, but in a statement issued this evening, the team said:

It's official. Mark Renshaw fractured his collarbone today. He also lost one tooth and hurt his muscles in his neck and remains in the hospital for observation. When Mark is allowed to fly, he has a concussion, he will be flying to Amsterdam as he needs surgery for his fractured collarbone. This surgery will be carried out in the hospital of Amersfoort asap by dr. Ger van Olden.

Theo Bos is on his way to the hotel. Theo has no fractures but 'only' a big hemorrage in his upper leg.

The crash came after a disjointed run-in to Antalya in the closing kilometres of the stage, riders weaving across wide roads as no team seemed willing to take the lead until Blanco did so, just as the road narrowed.

Renshaw was initially though to have clipped the wheel of team mate Graeme Brown, who was right in front of him, although there is a theory he suffered a blowout, causing him to lose control. Bos also came down, other riders ploughing into the back of them and only a handful able to avoid being held up.

It's not the first time Bos has been involved in a high profile crash in the Tour of Turkey - in 2009, he received a one month ban from the UCI after having been adjudged to have pushed then Barloworld rider Darryl Impey into the crash barriers during a stage.

Among the riders to manage to evade today's crash was Orica-GreenEdge’s Aidis Kruopis, who won the stage, and Lotto-Belisol’s André Greipel, second to Argos-Shimano’s Marcel Kittel in yesterday’s opening stage but home safely in third place today, enabling him to take the race lead from his compatriot.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.