Home
Have the reader's of white van man's favourite paper finally embraced cycling?...

Sun readers believe Bradley Wiggins will win BBC Sports Personality of the Year next month according to an online poll run by the newspaper which saw the Tour de France and Olympic time trial champion gain a third of the 6,000 votes cast.

Of the other 11 candidates, Mo Farah, winner of the 5,000 and 10,000 metres in London this summer, was next most popular on 18 per cent, followed by Andy Murray and Jessica Ennis.

The other eight, including former Sports Personality winner Sir Chris Hoy and Sarah Storey, who claimed four Paralympic golds this summer, shared less than a fifth of the votes between them.

Among the comments to the story, one reader wonders why team pursuit and omnium world and Olympic champion Laura Trott didn’t make the nominations, while another takes delight that “Not a single overpaid & underachieving footballer in the list, very good to see!!!”

Another, who perhaps wasn’t paying close enough attention in the opening days of London 2012 as Wiggins first dug in deep to try and help Mark Cavendish win gold in the road race, before going on to clinch his fourth Olympic title with the time trial, says: “Bradley wont win he should but wont it will be dominated by the Olympics.”

So, have the readers of the newspaper beloved of white man van fully embraced cycling, or is the love for Wiggo more a reflection of his laddish appeal as well as the absence on the shortlist this year of footballers or racing drivers?

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

14 comments

Avatar
Farky [183 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Its bollox!

The Sun needs friends and is trying to buy some with this false report. Who could actually track so called 'votes' on this to prove it anyway....unless you can hack that too.

Avatar
farrell [1950 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

It makes perfect sense when you think about it, the Sun is renowned for its mindset of "Build 'em up then knock 'em down".

They are just being a bit more literal with this one.

Avatar
timbola [240 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I know it is a small point, but please can you remove the apostrophe from reader's ... it should not have one. Thanks  19

Avatar
Sam1 [220 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Actually the Sun does love Wiggo (yes, I know, it might not last). It was the Sun who came out with the cut-out-and-keep sideys. His 'no airs, straight-talking, prone- to-a-bit-of-sweariness' goes down a treat with their readership.

They love Cav too, dont forget, though that's because of the Peta Todd connection.

Avatar
Gizmo_ [1332 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The Guardian have run a similar poll. All very well having people who sit around reading sport websites recognise that Wiggo's achievements are historic rather than ephemeral, it'll come down to who picks up the phone on a Saturday night... and Ennis will do very, very well. Although quantitatively, Ennis has done nothing that Denise Lewis didn't do in 2000.  3

Avatar
arrieredupeleton [574 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Er, has anyone joined the dots between Wiggo, Sky, News International... just saying. He'll rightly win it though.

Avatar
Simmo72 [583 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Please can you add a full stop at the end of 'Thanks'. Thanks.

Avatar
The Rumpo Kid [589 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Sam1 wrote:

Actually the Sun does love Wiggo (yes, I know, it might not last). It was the Sun who came out with the cut-out-and-keep sideys.

That was the Daily Mirror. Admittedly it's hard to tell the difference nowadays.

Avatar
mick intherain [14 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

My my aren't you all so much more intelligent, insightful and, frankly, better than white van man and any Sun readers for that matter? No! Your not really, what you are is full of shit and bias and class bigotry. I don't read the Sun nor am I a white van man but I despise these shit for brains views. Is it the new racism/feminism? Maybe.

Avatar
Coleman [331 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
mick intherain wrote:

My my aren't you all so much more intelligent, insightful and, frankly, better than white van man and any Sun readers for that matter? No! Your not really, what you are is full of shit and bias and class bigotry. I don't read the Sun nor am I a white van man but I despise these shit for brains views. Is it the new racism/feminism? Maybe.

"Racism/ feminism?"

I'm not sure many feminists will be pleased with that juxtaposition. Maybe the racist feminists?

"I despise these shit for brains views."

You certainly write like a reader of the Sun.

Avatar
Gizmo_ [1332 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
arrieredupeleton wrote:

Er, has anyone joined the dots between Wiggo, Sky, News International... just saying. He'll rightly win it though.

I'm an idiot. Of course, you're absolutely spot on.

Avatar
stumps [3182 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
mick intherain wrote:

My my aren't you all so much more intelligent, insightful and, frankly, better than white van man and any Sun readers for that matter? No! Your not really, what you are is full of shit and bias and class bigotry. I don't read the Sun nor am I a white van man but I despise these shit for brains views. Is it the new racism/feminism? Maybe.

I, personally, dont like your comments one bit. As i've said previously my 9 yr old son reads the forum as he loves his cycling and the language you have used is not called for or wanted.

My mam once said "people only swear when they dont have the brains to communicate correctly". I think she hit the nail on the head there.

On a fishing forum i go on a person was immediatley banned from the site for using similar language, i hope the same happens to you.

Avatar
Sam1 [220 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
Sam1 wrote:

Actually the Sun does love Wiggo (yes, I know, it might not last). It was the Sun who came out with the cut-out-and-keep sideys.

That was the Daily Mirror. Admittedly it's hard to tell the difference nowadays.

oooh...*googles*

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4465392/Bradley-Wigg...

Probably both papers did it  16 I'd actually forgotten how daft they were!

Avatar
The Rumpo Kid [589 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Sam1 wrote:
The Rumpo Kid wrote:
Sam1 wrote:

Actually the Sun does love Wiggo (yes, I know, it might not last). It was the Sun who came out with the cut-out-and-keep sideys.

That was the Daily Mirror. Admittedly it's hard to tell the difference nowadays.

oooh...*googles*

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/olympics/4465392/Bradley-Wigg...

Probably both papers did it  16 I'd actually forgotten how daft they were!

You're right, they both did it. When you say you'd forgotten how daft they were, do you mean the sideburns or the tabloids?