Giro Stage 11: Cavendish wins his second sprint stage, Di Luca still in pink
Cav makes it two in a week as he power to sprint win
Torino – Arenzano 214km
Mark Cavendish sprinted to his second stage victory of this year's Giro and his second win of the week today to take the win from Tyler Farrar (Garmin Slipstream), Allesandro Petacchi (LPR Brakes) was third and Alan Davis Barloworld fourth.
Columbia got their tactics just right on a stage set up for the sprinters and when Cavendish powered out of the pack with fully 500m to go nobody could live with him. Tyler Farrar who was also well positioned put the hammer down, but he couldn't match the Manxman today. Petacchi looking good too made sure of a place on the podium grabbing third place.
Earlier in the stage Levi Leipheimer, who should be one of the favourites for tomorrows 60Km time trial,had a spill but quickly regained his place in the pack. Lance Armstrong again looked to be growing stronger and on the final climb of the day briefly took a turn at the head of the peloton.
Astana were though a man down from the start with Chris Horner forced to abandon the race before the start still suffering the effects of a bad crash last month at he Vuelta al País Vasco when he broke his collarbone.
Horner may well be joined tomorrow by classics specialist Filippo Pozzato if the crash he suffered proves to be as bad as it looked, he finished today with a badly gashed thigh before crashing he suffered mechanical problems too.
Before the stage start this morning the race held a minute's silence in memory of 69-year-old motorbike rider Fabio Saccani who died yesterday on the way to the start while covering his 33rd Giro d'Italia.
Top 8 Stage 11 Giro d'Italia
1) Mark Cavendish (Team Columbia - Highroad) 4.51.17 (44.08 km/h)
2) Tyler Farrar (Garmin - Slipstream)
3) Alessandro Petacchi (LPR Brakes - Farnese Vini)
4) Allan Davis (Quick Step)
5) Sébastien Hinault (AG2R La Mondiale)
6) Davide Vigano (Fuji-Servetto)
7) Edvald Boasson Hagen (Team Columbia - Highroad)
8) Alexander Serov (Team Katusha)
9) Oscar Gatto (ISD)
10) Robert Foerster (Milram)
Giro d'Italia general classification after stage 11
1) Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes - Farnese Vini) 48.51.28
2) Denis Menchov (Rabobank) 1.20
3) Michael Rogers (Team Columbia - Highroad) 1.33
4) Levi Leipheimer (Astana) 1.40
5) Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) 1.53
6) Carlos Sastre (Cervelo Test Team) 1.54
7) Ivan Basso (Liquigas) 2.03
8) Thomas Lövkvist (Team Columbia - Highroad) 2.12
9) David Arroyo (Caisse d'Epargne) 2.35
10) Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli) 2.58