BBC Nottingham host left with bruised leg and dented helmet but no memory of what happened

A BBC presenter who appears to have been involved in an accident while riding his bike has issued an appeal to help him try to piece together what happened to him during a four-hour spell of which he has no memory.

John Holmes, who works for BBC Radio Nottingham, left his home in West Bridgford at 8.45am last Thursday 4 November to cycle to the BBC studios on the East Midlands city’s London Road. He arrived there four hours later with no recollection of what had happened.

On the BBC Nottingham website, he explained; “"My doctor asked me if I was frightened. I don't feel frightened I just feel bemused,” adding, "Hopefully it will come back."

Mr Holmes, who besides presenting the Afternoon show on BBC Radio Nottingham also hosts Holmes and Away on East Midlands Today, said that he could recall approaching a set of traffic lights on Musters Road, looking out for traffic on his right before making a left turn.

Everything is a blank after that, however.

He said that his usual route would have taken him along the Embankment, across Meadow Lane lock and beside the canal towards the BBC.

The only evidence of what might have happened is that he has a big bruise on his left leg, pain in his shoulder and a small dent in his bike helmet, but he says that there is no damage to his bike nor any traces of oil, mud or dirt on his clothing.

No witnesses have stepped forward to say what happened, nor does any incident appear to have been caught on CCTV.

Mr Holmes said: "I'd love to know if people did see me. It's very easy saying 'I was on a silver push-bike', but the distinctive thing was that I wearing a fluorescent yellow jacket, not zipped up so it flares out.

"I want to know what happened. I lost four hours of my life," he added.

On arrival at the BBC studios, Mr Holmes secured his bike and went to reception to collect his post, but receptionist Wendy Feargrieve noticed that he was “confused and distressed” and called paramedics, who took him to hospital.

"The saddest thing is that no one filmed me," he said. “I'd love to see it, have a laugh. Because apparently I was completely and utterly out of my tree."

Test at the Queens Medical Centre (QMC), Nottingham revealed that he had not suffered a heart attack or stroke, but Mr Holmes added: "I think I'd still be in the QMC if it wasn't for my helmet."

Anyone who has information about what might have happened to Mr Holmes during those missing four hours is asked to contact BBC Radio Nottingham on 0115 934 3434.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.


workhard [396 posts] 6 years ago

Concussed most likely. Been there, done that, bored the A&E staff rigid with my "Why am I not at work?" question repeated ad infinitum for about three hours!

Doubt he will ever get full memory of the immediate before/after events back. But apart from that he should be right as ninepence.

Hope he stacked all on his ownsome because the propsect that some bar steward had him off and didn't stop is sickening.