Home
German who was in third stint with national team was reported to have been sacked last October

British Cycling has confirmed the departure of men’s endurance coach Heiko Salzwedel, more than two months after he was reportedly escorted out of the National Cycling Centre in Manchester.

The national governing body did not comment at the time on reports that the German national had been told to leave the building inb October following a meeting with head coach Iain Dyer and performance director Stephen Park.

> GB men’s endurance coach allegedly escorted from Manchester velodrome amid rumours of sacking

Telegraph Sport suggested at the time that British Cycling did not provide a comment then since the issue was being dealt with by the respective parties’ lawyers.

In a brief statement today, British Cycling confirmed that Salzwedel was no longer employed by the organisation. It said:

British Cycling can confirm that Heiko Salzwedel has left his position as men’s endurance coach for the Great Britain Cycling Team.

Heiko, who coached the team to an Olympic gold medal in the men’s team pursuit in Rio, departs with the best wishes and thanks of everyone at British Cycling.

It was his third spell with British Cycling, where the 50-year-old had previously worked between 2000 and 2002, including as performance manager, and from 2008 to 2012.

He rejoined the organisation in late 2012 with responsoibility for the men’s endurance programme, but was reported to have clashed with riders including Mark Cavendish, who was targeting gold in the Madison at Rio in 2016 but took silver behind Italy’s Elia Viviani.

Cavendish, who had ridden under Salzwedel early in his road career as part of T-Mobile’s development programme, was reserve rider for the team pursuit, which Team GB won, but did not ride in any of the rounds meaning he was ineligible for a gold medal.

Sir Bradley Wiggins, who secured the fifth Olympic gold medal of his career in the event, has said that part of his decision to return to the track was because he would be working alongside Sazwedel, who had been encouraged to rejoin British Cycling by former technical director, Shane Sutton.

In October, it was  reported that Salzwedel’s links to Wiggins and Sutton had been part of the reason for his apparent departure.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

31 comments

Avatar
Valbrona [285 posts] 2 weeks ago
1 like

Too white, too male.

Avatar
ConcordeCX [555 posts] 2 weeks ago
2 likes
Valbrona wrote:

Too white, too male.

what makes you think that?

Avatar
brooksby [2781 posts] 2 weeks ago
7 likes
ConcordeCX wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

Too white, too male.

what makes you think that?

I think you have to understand that our Valbrona keeps trying to audition for a spot as a commentator for Breitbart  3

Avatar
Rapha Nadal [713 posts] 1 week ago
8 likes
ConcordeCX wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

Too white, too male.

what makes you think that?

He gets confused easily and thinks this is the The Daily Heil.

Avatar
Valbrona [285 posts] 1 week ago
1 like

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

Avatar
ConcordeCX [555 posts] 1 week ago
3 likes
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

Avatar
davel [2041 posts] 1 week ago
10 likes
Valbrona wrote:

... silly rant...

a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

Read a fucking book.

Avatar
don simon [1702 posts] 1 week ago
9 likes

Valbrona still being a racist/islamaphobic/scared of everything person then. I can't say cunt as he'll run to the mods like a cowardly person. I can't say twat either. I can't tell him where I think his next trip should be either, even with the vaguaries of its destination being off.

But hey! come to Road.cc to spread your vile bigoted racist crap...

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
3 likes

If only ar Tony was around you'd be in big trouble...

Valerie, can you explain what "too white" or "too male" is? Does he have 2 dicks?

Avatar
brooksby [2781 posts] 1 week ago
4 likes
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

And there you go again: has Steve Bannon been in touch yet?   1

Avatar
Valbrona [285 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes
ConcordeCX wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

I actually bother to read what you write because a) the Concorde CX was a nice frame and b) you can string a few sentences together without using the f-word, c-word, etc. ... quite unlike the gaggle of stunted-brained cretins that lurk on this forum.

Equality and diversity is bad in so far as good people get sacked from jobs because they are the wrong sex or the wrong race. I watched a clueless lass on BBC's Final Score football programme the other day talk about Premiership football when she has never played anything remotely like Premiership-level football. Like you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions.

In the early days of the Soviet Union Marxists created Soldiers' Councils to run its military and where everyone was equal, women included.

Ever seen a female refuse collector? Thought not.

Avatar
don simon [1702 posts] 1 week ago
10 likes

Just to let you know Valbrona, I'm currently doing a bit of work on the side, and free, in order to help a Syrian doctor gain entry to the UK. It's documented here that I work with immigrants at the weekends. It'll probably boil your piss more knowing that I'm helping these people and that I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

You, I feel sorry for. The Syrian doctor is worthy a million of your sort.

You criticise a few swear words? Grow up!

I find your racism incredibly offensive. As I' sure many more do.

I'm calling for you to remove yourself from the forum .

 

 

Avatar
Rapha Nadal [713 posts] 1 week ago
5 likes

Valbrona wrote:

ConcordeCX wrote:

Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

Ever seen a female refuse collector? Thought not.

I have as it happens.  Sorry to burst your bubble there.

Avatar
yourealwaysbe [10 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes
Valbrona wrote:

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

Since July, BC have announced on their news feed four new hires, all being white and male.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
5 likes

A woman talking about football, down with this sort of thing. They'll be after the vote next!

That Ned Boulting fella talks about bikes, is it because he's a white male you're happy or did I miss his pro career.

Keep up the good work Valerie...

Avatar
Edgeley [520 posts] 1 week ago
4 likes
yourealwaysbe wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

Since July, BC have announced on their news feed four new hires, all being white and male.

 

Down with you and your fact based response.   Prejudice, ignorance and buffoonery are so much more 2018.

Avatar
ConcordeCX [555 posts] 1 week ago
3 likes
Valbrona wrote:
ConcordeCX wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

I actually bother to read what you write because a) the Concorde CX was a nice frame and b) you can string a few sentences together without using the f-word, c-word, etc. ... quite unlike the gaggle of stunted-brained cretins that lurk on this forum.

Equality and diversity is bad in so far as good people get sacked from jobs because they are the wrong sex or the wrong race. I watched a clueless lass on BBC's Final Score football programme the other day talk about Premiership football when she has never played anything remotely like Premiership-level football. Like you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions.

In the early days of the Soviet Union Marxists created Soldiers' Councils to run its military and where everyone was equal, women included.

Ever seen a female refuse collector? Thought not.

"unlike the gaggle of stunted-brained cretins that lurk on this forum." Wouldn't want to descend to personal abuse, would we? Although despite your high opinion of me, I'm certainly not above it from time to time.

Can you provide any evidence that anyone has been sacked because they were a white man, as a result of policies of the type you mention?

"you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions."

gee, got any evidence other than Dirty Harry?

https://youtu.be/9rcIJIWqYmo

 

 

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
5 likes
Valbrona wrote:

Like you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions.

I've got this one Valerie,

Women account for 51% of the population and 28.2% of the police workforce. But to prove your point they have increased by 0.2% in the last year. In the next 120 years they may indeed gain equality in terms of numbers working for the police.

As for the ethnic minorities, they account for around 13% of the UK population and 5.5% of the police workforce, of those in the police workforce they are twice as likely to hold less prominent positions (support officer etc.).

In short, do you think you're more likely to work for the police as an ethnic minority lady than as a white male or even too white and too male?

Avatar
Valbrona [285 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes
don simon wrote:

Just to let you know Valbrona, I'm currently doing a bit of work on the side, and free, in order to help a Syrian doctor gain entry to the UK. It's documented here that I work with immigrants at the weekends.

Liberals are well-meaning but so misguided.

Syrian doctors should be helping the people of Syria, and especially Syria's children, rather than doing lucrative knee replacements for old gals on the NHS, or fitting gastric bands.

Incidentally, Syrian President Bashar al Assad = fantastic eye surgeon.

Avatar
Sniffer [456 posts] 1 week ago
3 likes
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

You are misguided in so many ways. 

Another surprise for me is that you think that this Conservative government is in any way interested in increasing opportunity in society.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
6 likes

I'm surprised he can log on!

Avatar
Bluebug [267 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes
Rapha Nadal wrote:

Valbrona wrote:

ConcordeCX wrote:

Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

Ever seen a female refuse collector? Thought not.

I have as it happens.  Sorry to burst your bubble there.

So I have I.

I've actually seen two - at different times.

Avatar
Bluebug [267 posts] 1 week ago
3 likes
Valbrona wrote:
don simon wrote:

Just to let you know Valbrona, I'm currently doing a bit of work on the side, and free, in order to help a Syrian doctor gain entry to the UK. It's documented here that I work with immigrants at the weekends.

Liberals are well-meaning but so misguided.

Syrian doctors should be helping the people of Syria, and especially Syria's children, rather than doing lucrative knee replacements for old gals on the NHS, or fitting gastric bands.

Incidentally, Syrian President Bashar al Assad = fantastic eye surgeon.

You should mix with a more diverse circle of people including those in the medical profession,  and then you will understand why they go to work in different countries. 

In fact if you became a volunteer  you would probably end up being less of a right-wing nut job.

Avatar
don simon [1702 posts] 1 week ago
4 likes
Valbrona wrote:
don simon wrote:

Just to let you know Valbrona, I'm currently doing a bit of work on the side, and free, in order to help a Syrian doctor gain entry to the UK. It's documented here that I work with immigrants at the weekends.

Liberals are well-meaning but so misguided.

Syrian doctors should be helping the people of Syria, and especially Syria's children, rather than doing lucrative knee replacements for old gals on the NHS, or fitting gastric bands.

Incidentally, Syrian President Bashar al Assad = fantastic eye surgeon.

And we'll be able to give the job he's going to steal back to the doctor that we're going to have to repatriate from Australia. Imagine being forced from Australia to Salford, I imagine the doctor you want to repatriate is really going to thank you for that. Where are all the other ex-pats going to work? You will demand that they leave the countries that they've settled in, won't you? You will demand enforced repatriation for Brits as you'd be a ridiculously thick hypocrit if you think we can settle in other countries while denying entry to foreigners like the Syrians and Germans (albeit white ones). Do you think foriegners only come from countries other than engerland?

Thick fucker. I won't moderate my language for a despicable piece of shit either while they continue to put racism. That puts the ball in the site owners' court.

Children,  if you're reading this, remember that racists are usually found at the lower ends of the food chain. They are easily identified by their poorly thought out arguments and grazed knuckles.

 

Avatar
Metal Guru [1 post] 1 week ago
3 likes

Cooke, Pendleton, Storey, Trott/Kenney, Rowsell - Shand, Barker, James, Archibald, etc, etc

How many medals/records have British male cyclists missed out on due to all of the funding going to women due to the overbearing nature of the pc cultural hegemony??

I eagerly await the day when cycling websites cover something OTHER than the Womens' Tour...

Oh, and we can have a Tour OF Yorkshire - none of this foreign crap, thanks v much...

Avatar
don simon [1702 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
Metal Guru wrote:

Cooke, Pendleton, Storey, Trott/Kenney, Rowsell - Shand, Barker, James, Archibald, etc, etc How many medals/records have British male cyclists missed out on due to all of the funding going to women due to the overbearing nature of the pc cultural hegemony?? I eagerly await the day when cycling websites cover something OTHER than the Womens' Tour... Oh, and we can have a Tour OF Yorkshire - none of this foreign crap, thanks v much...

That's a piss take, isn't it?

Avatar
davel [2041 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
Valbrona wrote:

Equality and diversity is bad in so far as good people get sacked from jobs because they are the wrong sex or the wrong race. I watched a clueless lass on BBC's Final Score football programme the other day talk about Premiership football when she has never played anything remotely like Premiership-level football. Like you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions.

If football commentary is a valid analogy, and if the BBC are so-inclined, I've got a valid counter.

Not sure what it might prove, other than to point out the silliness of your confirmation bias.

But step forward Alan 'white, male, one of the best at his previous job, one of the worst at his current' Shearer.

Hired presumably for being in a unique position to offer insight and tactical nous of the top-level game, it quickly became obvious that he offered nothing but obvious platitudes in monotone, which is anything but unique. 10+ years later, he's still doing it.

I hate it when Geordie ex-strikers get the top jobs, just because they're Geordies. And ex-strikers.

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
1 like

But I'm a Rovers fan so Alan Shearer is God!

Avatar
FluffyKittenofT... [1930 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
Valbrona wrote:
ConcordeCX wrote:
Valbrona wrote:

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch will not be happy unless she sees white men being sacked and ethnics/women brought into senior positions within the British Cycling organization. She hasn't given BC £40 million for nothing.

BC could have lost some £40 million of funding , hence the EGM in July and where members of the National Council voted in support of adopting a raft of equality and diversity dictats, aka. Code for Sports Governance, that the Commissars at Central Government has said sporting bodies must adopt in order to keep their funding.

... a bit like in the old Soviet Union.

I see. Is there something wrong with equality and diversity?

And the Soviet Union, it imposed equality and diversity on its institutions, did it? I must have failed to notice it all those years.

I actually bother to read what you write because a) the Concorde CX was a nice frame and b) you can string a few sentences together without using the f-word, c-word, etc. ... quite unlike the gaggle of stunted-brained cretins that lurk on this forum.

Equality and diversity is bad in so far as good people get sacked from jobs because they are the wrong sex or the wrong race. I watched a clueless lass on BBC's Final Score football programme the other day talk about Premiership football when she has never played anything remotely like Premiership-level football. Like you might also get a Police Officer who is useless and who has been promoted beyond their level of suitability because some or other Police Service wants to get more women/ethnics into senior positions.

In the early days of the Soviet Union Marxists created Soldiers' Councils to run its military and where everyone was equal, women included.

Ever seen a female refuse collector? Thought not.

 

Actually in the early days of the Soviet Union they were very big on 'affirmative action' for people of proletarian origins, but on gender, not so much.  Hence they actually threw out most of the women from universities and other institutions because all the women there were bourgeois, and the only working-class people in a position to replace them were almost all male.  One of the perils of thoughtless 'positive discrimination'.

 

By the way, what the hell is an 'ethnic'?  Do you imagine that only non-white people have an ethnicity?  Do you call women 'genders' and gay people 'sexuals'?

Avatar
alansmurphy [1465 posts] 1 week ago
2 likes

I'm not sure he's allowed within 30 feet of any women nor has the dress sense to mingle on the 'gay scene'...

Pages