Home
Defibrillator was only installed at local shop in Billinge near St Helens last month

Passers-by who rushed to the aid of a cyclist in north west England have been credited with saving his life by using a defibrillator to restart his heart when it stopped after he was knocked off his bike.

The defibrillator had only been installed at Billinge News and Booze in Billinge, midway between St Helens and Wigan, last month, according to local newspaper the St Helens Reporter.

Sub-postmaster, Ashley Williams, told the newspaper that people rushed to the shop after the cyclist, a man believed to be aged in his 50s, was knocked from his bike by a vehicle at around 10.30 on Tuesday morning.

“They ran in saying they needed the defibrillator because someone had stopped breathing,” he said.

“All I saw was the dentist from nearby giving him CPR. He shocked him twice and he started breathing.

“There was a retired doctor who said he has never seen one used before. He said if it hadn’t been there he wouldn’t have made it.”

According to the St Helens Reporter, the dentist who helped the cyclist was Alec Bate.

In a post to a community social media page his partner Deborah Benali, who also works in dentistry, said: “We all do the defibrillator training but it’s so very different when it’s a real-life situation.

“Super-proud of you and all that assisted in helping this poor guy.”

Paramedics treated the cyclist, whose identity is not known, at the scene before taking him to hospital. There was no update on his condition.

A campaign to install two defibrillators in Billinge was led by Derek Garland, who runs the Eagle & Child pub.

He said: “A guy was giving CPR so Ashley has run across with the machine.

“It’s actually re-started his heart. We don’t know his position and he has been taken to hospital but it could be good news.

“This could have saved a life at the end of the day and that means the defibrillator has automatically paid for itself.”

The prompt use of a defibrillator was last year credited with saving the lives of two cyclists who suffered heart attacks on Mont Ventoux in Provence just hours apart.

> Two cyclists on Mont Ventoux saved with help of defibrillators after suffering heart attacks hours apart

Several websites in the UK, including HeartSafe, provide maps showing the locations of defibrillators, and it’s worth familiarising yourself with where they are situated in your local area.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

20 comments

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [1329 posts] 3 months ago
2 likes

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Hope he makes a full recovery and the value of such equipment and indeed training people to use them is recognised more (though i think there are idiot proof instrcutions on them)

Avatar
CygnusX1 [737 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

Avatar
wellsprop [723 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
Jharrison5 wrote:

The casualty is dead when you begin, so it's difficult for things to get worse.

Very true!

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [1329 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
Jharrison5 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

You know that the collision caused the cardiopulmonary arrest? Or did the cardiopulmonary arrest cause the collision? An automated defibrillator speaks to you with instructions. They are very easy to use and you shouldn't be afraid of them if ever asked to use it - trained or not. The casualty is dead when you begin, so it's difficult for things to get worse. Well done to the dentists and all those who helped.

The motorist struck the cyclist, in what world is that not a criminal offence?

Maybe you need to learn to read sonny because I did not at any point state that the assault on the cyclist caused the heart attack, even if that is likely a consequence of the incident!

Avatar
BehindTheBikesheds [1329 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

Avatar
kil0ran [708 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
Jharrison5 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

You know that the collision caused the cardiopulmonary arrest? Or did the cardiopulmonary arrest cause the collision? An automated defibrillator speaks to you with instructions. They are very easy to use and you shouldn't be afraid of them if ever asked to use it - trained or not. The casualty is dead when you begin, so it's difficult for things to get worse. Well done to the dentists and all those who helped.

This info needs to be more widely known - they're utterly idiot proof because they won't deliver a shock unless they heart needs it. First Aiders have been trying to persuade the company I work for (over 1500 employees) to install one on each floor but they're worried about insurance and the risk assessment. But apparantly its OK because there's one at the Co-op over the road...

Avatar
Jharrison5 [142 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

You know that the collision caused the cardiopulmonary arrest? Or did the cardiopulmonary arrest cause the collision?

An automated defibrillator speaks to you with instructions. They are very easy to use and you shouldn't be afraid of them if ever asked to use it - trained or not. The casualty is dead when you begin, so it's difficult for things to get worse.

Well done to the dentists and all those who helped.

Edit: cardiorespiratory arrest, not cardiopulmonary!

Avatar
Jharrison5 [142 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
Jharrison5 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

You know that the collision caused the cardiopulmonary arrest? Or did the cardiopulmonary arrest cause the collision? An automated defibrillator speaks to you with instructions. They are very easy to use and you shouldn't be afraid of them if ever asked to use it - trained or not. The casualty is dead when you begin, so it's difficult for things to get worse. Well done to the dentists and all those who helped.

The motorist struck the cyclist, in what world is that not a criminal offence?

Maybe you need to learn to read sonny because I did not at any point state that the assault on the cyclist caused the heart attack, even if that is likely a consequence of the incident!

No one mentioned a heart attack  3

Avatar
atgni [450 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Avatar
fukawitribe [2136 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
atgni wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Hell no ! You just ain't listnin to what Deputy Shed's saying about that darn  convicted criminal. We got ourselves a new courthouse. It's high time we had a hanging !

Avatar
Valbrona [322 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

The kids nick the defibs round my way ... even from ambulances that are parked up. I am told that there's a black market for everything.

Avatar
brooksby [2919 posts] 3 months ago
0 likes
fukawitribe wrote:
atgni wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Hell no ! You just ain't listnin to what Deputy Shed's saying about that darn  convicted criminal. We got ourselves a new courthouse. It's high time we had a hanging !

But BTBS is correct that the article doesn't mention the police attended, doesn't mention that "a 50 year old male was questioned at the scene and let go with a pat on the head "  (or whatever), so it seems reasonable to say that the perpetrator (the motorist who knocked this guy off his bike) apparently got away scot-free...

Avatar
CygnusX1 [737 posts] 3 months ago
3 likes
brooksby wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
atgni wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Hell no ! You just ain't listnin to what Deputy Shed's saying about that darn  convicted criminal. We got ourselves a new courthouse. It's high time we had a hanging !

But BTBS is correct that the article doesn't mention the police attended, doesn't mention that "a 50 year old male was questioned at the scene and let go with a pat on the head "  (or whatever), so it seems reasonable to say that the perpetrator (the motorist who knocked this guy off his bike) apparently got away scot-free...

The flip side to that is the article doesn't mention that motorist fled the scene either or that police didn't attend, so its equally reasonable to assume that he/she seemingly didn't leave and that the police  seeemingly did attend. 

Whether any charges ensue is another matter (and if charges are made, whether they lead to conviction and a sentence that fits) ...

Avatar
brooksby [2919 posts] 3 months ago
2 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:
brooksby wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
atgni wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Hell no ! You just ain't listnin to what Deputy Shed's saying about that darn  convicted criminal. We got ourselves a new courthouse. It's high time we had a hanging !

But BTBS is correct that the article doesn't mention the police attended, doesn't mention that "a 50 year old male was questioned at the scene and let go with a pat on the head "  (or whatever), so it seems reasonable to say that the perpetrator (the motorist who knocked this guy off his bike) apparently got away scot-free...

The flip side to that is the article doesn't mention that motorist fled the scene either or that police didn't attend, so its equally reasonable to assume that he/she seemingly didn't leave and that the police  seeemingly did attend. 

Whether any charges ensue is another matter (and if charges are made, whether they lead to conviction and a sentence that fits) ...

You say potato; I say potato... yes

Avatar
psling [275 posts] 3 months ago
4 likes
CygnusX1 wrote:

Whether any charges ensue is another matter (and if charges are made, whether they lead to conviction and a sentence that fits) ...

 

Charges were made though...

 

 

 

but on this occasion I believe they lead to the heart beating again.

Avatar
Simon E [3207 posts] 3 months ago
1 like
kil0ran wrote:

This info needs to be more widely known - they're utterly idiot proof because they won't deliver a shock unless they heart needs it. First Aiders have been trying to persuade the company I work for (over 1500 employees) to install one on each floor but they're worried about insurance and the risk assessment. But apparantly its OK because there's one at the Co-op over the road...

With over 1500 people on site your employer is putting lives at risk by not having at least one AED available (and people who know where it is and what to do, of course).

In the First Aid at Work refresher course I attended earlier this month the trainer said that the earlier that shock is given, the better the person’s chance of survival. Perhaps your company's HR goons need to know that, by delaying access to the AED, a colleague (or themselves) could die. She also said that no-one has ever been sued for trying to save a life; any attempt to do so would be thrown out of court.

Avatar
Hensteeth [83 posts] 3 months ago
1 like

An AED stops the heart when it is in cardiac arrest, so the heart can restart itself with a normal rhythm. This is totally different from a heart attack, which occurs when an artery is blocked. An AED wouldn't work on a heart attack. They are foolproof. Cardiac arrest can be brought on by a sudden shock such as being knocked off your bike.
Regardless, well done to all involved.

Avatar
atgni [450 posts] 3 months ago
1 like
CygnusX1 wrote:
brooksby wrote:
fukawitribe wrote:
atgni wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:
CygnusX1 wrote:
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

Well done to all involved, but yet another incident where the criminal seemingly has got away scot-free!

Echo the first sentiment, but I didn't see anything in the story suggesting the driver (I assume that's who you mean by criminal) fled the scene, or that police won't be charging them. 

And why I said seemingly, there is no report of the criminal driver being interviewed by the police or stopped at the scene which would seemingly (without further evidence to suggest otherwise) indicate that has not occured.

It's a good news report about a defib!

Hell no ! You just ain't listnin to what Deputy Shed's saying about that darn  convicted criminal. We got ourselves a new courthouse. It's high time we had a hanging !

But BTBS is correct that the article doesn't mention the police attended, doesn't mention that "a 50 year old male was questioned at the scene and let go with a pat on the head "  (or whatever), so it seems reasonable to say that the perpetrator (the motorist who knocked this guy off his bike) apparently got away scot-free...

The flip side to that is the article doesn't mention that motorist fled the scene either or that police didn't attend, so its equally reasonable to assume that he/she seemingly didn't leave and that the police  seeemingly did attend. 

Whether any charges ensue is another matter (and if charges are made, whether they lead to conviction and a sentence that fits) ...

Doesn't mention the weather conditions or the type of bike.
Good news - defib saved life (probably).

Avatar
kitsunegari [345 posts] 2 months ago
1 like

Great news, well done to all involved. I'm emergency trained in this and hope to god I never have to use one.

 

Brilliant devices!

 

Avatar
kil0ran [708 posts] 2 months ago
1 like
Simon E wrote:
kil0ran wrote:

This info needs to be more widely known - they're utterly idiot proof because they won't deliver a shock unless they heart needs it. First Aiders have been trying to persuade the company I work for (over 1500 employees) to install one on each floor but they're worried about insurance and the risk assessment. But apparantly its OK because there's one at the Co-op over the road...

With over 1500 people on site your employer is putting lives at risk by not having at least one AED available (and people who know where it is and what to do, of course).

In the First Aid at Work refresher course I attended earlier this month the trainer said that the earlier that shock is given, the better the person’s chance of survival. Perhaps your company's HR goons need to know that, by delaying access to the AED, a colleague (or themselves) could die. She also said that no-one has ever been sued for trying to save a life; any attempt to do so would be thrown out of court.

It's something like 15% drop in survivability for every minute. Many factors at play but if they've been in arrest for more than 9 minutes you're very lucky to get them back, and even luckier to get them back without brain damage.

At a run the Co-op is 45 seconds away plus the time taken to get the device out of the box and ready so the minimum time lost is going to be around 3 minutes - that's not taking into account the initial assessment of the casualty. All in all probably down for 5 minutes before a shock is delivered - hopefully CPR will have been taking place in that time.

Pisses me off because CAs are so often survivable with prompt intervention. Personal investment in it because my Dad almost died from 1 (well, strictly speaking 4). Strangely enough happened in the local Co-op which at the time didn't have a defib, but fortunately had a senior A&E nurse buying her groceries after a shift...