Home
Incident resulted in delays reopening roads

Police are investigating after reports that tacks were spread on the Pedal for Scotland route on Sunday. Almost 8,000 cyclists took part in the charity event and organisers branded whoever was responsible “idiotic” for putting them at risk.

Pedal for Scotland, organised by Cycling Scotland, is Scotland’s biggest bike event. Participants cycled from Glasgow to Edinburgh, but the Linlithgow Express reports that tacks were found near Whitecross and Linlithgow.

The ride involved a number of road closures and a Cycling Scotland spokesperson said that the incident had meant delays in reopening.

“Nearly 8,000 people had a fantastic time cycling with Pedal for Scotland. Friends, families and colleagues were raising money for charities close to their hearts and there was enthusiastic support from spectators in most towns and villages along the route. 

“We regret that the action of an idiotic individual or group of people has caused problems for event participants and risked serious injury to people. It has also slowed us down in opening the roads again. The operational team helped remove the tacks as soon as they were reported. We would ask anyone with information about who committed this crime to report it to Police Scotland.”

A Police Scotland spokesperson added: “Police Scotland is investigating following a report of metal tacks on the road in Whitecross during a Pedal for Scotland event.

“The matter was reported to police around 1.10pm on Sunday, September 10, on Station Road. A number of bikes were damaged, however no cyclists were injured. There were also reports of tacks being placed on the road in and around Linlithgow.

“Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101, quoting incident number 2396 of September 10.”

Pedal for Scotland was previously hit by a drawing pin attack in 2015. The firm providing mechanical support along the route on that occasion said it had taken more than four hours to work through all the punctures.

Earlier this month, farmers protesting road closures halted the Tour o’ the Borders sportive by standing in the road with draining rods. The self-proclaimed ringleader, John Marshall, described the event as "a waste of police time."

The farmers are alleged to have hit cyclists with the draining rods, but Marshall said that it was “meant to be a peaceful demonstration.” He accused some of the riders of trying to shoulder-charge them.

Alex has written for more cricket publications than the rest of the road.cc team combined. Despite the apparent evidence of this picture, he doesn't especially like cake.

29 comments

Avatar
Grahamd [820 posts] 4 months ago
1 like

Farmers?

Avatar
KendalRed [114 posts] 4 months ago
9 likes

Where's Bernard Hinault when you need him - he'd have shown the fuckers!

Avatar
Morgoth985 [100 posts] 4 months ago
3 likes

"A number of bikes were damaged, however no cyclists were injured" say the police.  Could this outcome just have been a matter of good fortune?  Do the police have any suspicion of an intention that a cyclist or cyclists should die as a result of a crash?  Or that spreading the tacks demonstrated a reckless disregard for their lives?  Do the police intend to launch an investigation into attempted murder?

Avatar
asdfqwerty [33 posts] 4 months ago
7 likes

Doesn't surprise me, Whitecross is like hell's waiting room.

Avatar
Flying Scot [1005 posts] 4 months ago
10 likes

This is pretty bad - this is not a Sportive, its a family charity ride, lots of young kids, lots of 'non-cyclists' i.e. people less experienced to deal with the situation.

Avatar
pockstone [141 posts] 4 months ago
8 likes

From comments in 'The Scotsman' re. Tour o'the borders drain rod 'protest':

"Bunny Hugger • 5 days ago

Speaking as one who tries to avoid violent confrontation...

...a couple of boxes of tin tacks would have done the trick."

http://www.scotsman.com/regions/dumfries-borders/idiots-beat-us-with-sti...

Looks like a clear case of incitement to cause criminal damage/ABH.

  

Reply

Share ›

Avatar
burtthebike [1268 posts] 4 months ago
1 like
pockstone wrote:

From comments in 'The Scotsman' re. Tour o'the borders drain rod 'protest':
"Bunny Hugger • 5 days ago

Speaking as one who tries to avoid violent confrontation...

...a couple of boxes of tin tacks would have done the trick."

http://www.scotsman.com/regions/dumfries-borders/idiots-beat-us-with-sti...

Looks like a clear case of incitement to cause criminal damage/ABH.

Interesting article, showing that there was violence and it was premeditated.  Where are the comments, can't see them on the website?

Avatar
pockstone [141 posts] 4 months ago
1 like
burtthebike wrote:

  Where are the comments, can't see them on the website?

There's a 'view comments' button LH side at top of story, but the link above seems to work (for me at least), scroll to bottom of page. Be warned. It's mostly the usual depressing tripe.

 

Avatar
fat buddha [19 posts] 4 months ago
3 likes

what is it with people wanting to disrupt events??   at Ironman Wales on Sunday, diesel and oil was spread across the descent into Wiseman's Bridge - and that is one steep twisting descent - with the police believing it was done deliberately.   bearing in mind that athletes taking part are racing in the main, not just participating,  so are heads down and going like the clappers, it's a wonder nobody was seriously injured or killed.   there were a few offs I believe but the fire service were on the scene quickly to blast the stuff off the road as much as they could.     

Avatar
TheScotsman [32 posts] 4 months ago
0 likes

They've changed their comments system to use Facebook, so if you're accessing from a corporate network where FB is blocked, you'll see no comments section and the Comment number at the top-right of the story will show '0'.

 

pockstone wrote:
burtthebike wrote:

  Where are the comments, can't see them on the website?

There's a 'view comments' button LH side at top of story, but the link above seems to work (for me at least), scroll to bottom of page. Be warned. It's mostly the usual depressing tripe.

 

Avatar
Morgoth985 [100 posts] 4 months ago
5 likes
fat buddha wrote:

what is it with people wanting to disrupt events??    

 

They're blinded by an irrational, murderous hatred.   As such they are highly dangerous individuals and need to be dealt with accordingly.

Avatar
fat buddha [19 posts] 4 months ago
2 likes
Morgoth985 wrote:

They're blinded by an irrational, murderous hatred.   As such they are highly dangerous individuals and need to be dealt with accordingly.

 

yep - all because they're having their Sunday disrupted for a couple of hours once a year (OK, maybe a few times a year if you live around Box Hill.....) .  

Avatar
maviczap [119 posts] 4 months ago
7 likes
Morgoth985 wrote:
fat buddha wrote:

what is it with people wanting to disrupt events??    

 

They're blinded by an irrational, murderous hatred.   As such they are highly dangerous individuals and need to be dealt with accordingly.

Fuelled by an anti cyclist national  media

If it was a media site promoting terrorism it'd be illegal, but it's not seen like that, inciting anti cycling behaviour is ok.

My local paper had 4 pages of positive reports and pictures after the Tour of Britain stage finish in my area

Today there was another article about how people watching the TOB could be inspired to take up cycling.

Why can't the nationals do this is beyond me, and why I don't buy them.

Avatar
Mungecrundle [866 posts] 4 months ago
5 likes

Make a half hearted jokey comment about taking your nail scissors to the airport so you can give yourself a manicure whilst waiting in the passport queue and you will have an armed response tactical unit rapelling into your living room from helicopters before the your comment screen has refreshed.

Threatening to set potentially lethal booby traps on a public road should ellicit a proportionate response.

BTW for clarity, I don't even run with scissors let alone take them to the airport.

Avatar
Velovoyeur [55 posts] 4 months ago
3 likes

There are some pricks in Scotland!

Avatar
SNS1938 [125 posts] 4 months ago
1 like

I simply cannot imagine doing something like this as an adult. An adolecent might do something like this, as they lack the ability to forsee potential consequences, but when it's (normally) adult men who are often farmers (or just local village residents), it blows my mind. If someone went to a popular beach that they didnt like people using it, and smashed bottles all over the beach, they'd get caught and punished. 

Avatar
Morgoth985 [100 posts] 4 months ago
6 likes
SNS1938 wrote:

I simply cannot imagine doing something like this as an adult. An adolecent might do something like this, as they lack the ability to forsee potential consequences, but when it's (normally) adult men who are often farmers (or just local village residents), it blows my mind. If someone went to a popular beach that they didnt like people using it, and smashed bottles all over the beach, they'd get caught and punished. 

 

I get your sentiment, but with respect, I think you're being too generous, on a couple of points.  Firstly, an adolescent doing this would be as much of a dangerous nutter as an adult.  They know enough to know that this is both illegal and highly dangerous.  

Secondly, I don't think your analogy fully captures the severity of this.  I would instead suggest:  suppose someone with a rabid hatred of motor vehicles got hold of one of those spiked mats that they have in London to protect against vehicular terror attacks.  Suppose further that they lay this across a motorway in the dead of night.  Suppose that a number of vehicles travelling at high speed crashed as a result of running over the mat.  By sheer good fortune, or perhaps because of their vehicles' safety features, whatever, there were no injuries.  How likely is it that the police would respond in the same way as for an incident involving cyclists?  How likely is it that the media and the public would respond the same way?

Avatar
Bentrider [39 posts] 4 months ago
1 like

Sunday 10th September, Newcastle

"Bloody Great North Run!  Main roads closed for hours, massive diversions and delays if you want to get anywhere and I bet not one of the buggers paid any road tax!!"

 

Said absolutely no-one!!

Avatar
Beecho [235 posts] 4 months ago
1 like

I'm taking the (injured) wife's spot on L'etap next weekend, just to keep her sister company. Wish I wasn't for a few reasons, but Essex doing its best to match this is a real concern.

Avatar
jasecd [502 posts] 4 months ago
5 likes

I cannot understand the mindset of the cretinous wankers who do this and I'm almost equally disgusted by the morons who fill the comments of every cycling article with prejudiced bile. I just cannot comprehend the level of hatred however hard I try.

I live close to a new road in Bristol and a few weeks ago the shared use path next to it was covered in smashed glass bottles from one side to the other about two meters deep. This was on a corner of a -5% descent where a puncture could have sent the rider straight into traffic. Fortunately I was climbing up the other way and stopped and reported it to the police before clearing as much as I could with a nearby piece of wood.

I've not heard back from the police who didn't seem to take on board that this was an attempt to injure people so I might follow it up. The more of these incidents I hear of the more I am swayed to believe that it is a hate crime - I don't equate it with civil rights or other social struggles but these are crimes motivated purely by prejudice and I think that they should be more thoroughly investigated and this should figure in the charging.

 

 

Avatar
burtthebike [1268 posts] 4 months ago
1 like
jasecd wrote:

I cannot understand the mindset of the cretinous wankers who do this and I'm almost equally disgusted by the morons who fill the comments of every cycling article with prejudiced bile. I just cannot comprehend the level of hatred however hard I try.

I live close to a new road in Bristol and a few weeks ago the shared use path next to it was covered in smashed glass bottles from one side to the other about two meters deep. This was on a corner of a -5% descent where a puncture could have sent the rider straight into traffic. Fortunately I was climbing up the other way and stopped and reported it to the police before clearing as much as I could with a nearby piece of wood.

I've not heard back from the police who didn't seem to take on board that this was an attempt to injure people so I might follow it up. The more of these incidents I hear of the more I am swayed to believe that it is a hate crime - I don't equate it with civil rights or other social struggles but these are crimes motivated purely by prejudice and I think that they should be more thoroughly investigated and this should figure in the charging.

It's definitely time these crimes and comments were defined as hate crimes.

The police wouldn't be interested in broken glass, but report it to the local council who should clear it up pronto.

Avatar
BadgerBeaver [4 posts] 4 months ago
5 likes

That's helped make up my mind about where to ride next summer. France is closer, friendlier for cyclists, the food is good and they speak better English.

Avatar
Geraldaut [39 posts] 4 months ago
2 likes

What is this UK thing about hating cyclists? Living in France indeed this seems strange for me.

Avatar
Leviathan [2903 posts] 4 months ago
1 like
Geraldaut wrote:

What is this UK thing about hating cyclists? Living in France indeed this seems strange for me.

The French seem to hate Chris Froome, even though he lives in Monaco.

Avatar
Geraldaut [39 posts] 4 months ago
3 likes
Leviathan wrote:
Geraldaut wrote:

What is this UK thing about hating cyclists? Living in France indeed this seems strange for me.

The French seem to hate Chris Froome, even though he lives in Monaco.

 

I think not, at least they don't care about him. I never had problems with cars or other people here on my bike, so yes, why not come to cycle here, you are all welcome  3

 

Avatar
Morgoth985 [100 posts] 4 months ago
0 likes
Geraldaut wrote:
Leviathan wrote:
Geraldaut wrote:

What is this UK thing about hating cyclists? Living in France indeed this seems strange for me.

The French seem to hate Chris Froome, even though he lives in Monaco.

 

I think not, at least they don't care about him. I never had problems with cars or other people here on my bike, so yes, why not come to cycle here, you are all welcome  3

 

 

Would love to.  In fact I recently went on a short cycling holiday around Belgium and NL.  First time I've ridden there.  It was heaven!  Trouble is, I live and work here.

Avatar
Beecho [235 posts] 4 months ago
2 likes
Geraldaut wrote:

What is this UK thing about hating cyclists? Living in France indeed this seems strange for me.

I'll agree French motorists embrace cycling culture and understand what's going on, but they can still drive like fucking lunatics when overtaking.

Avatar
jestriding [40 posts] 2 months ago
0 likes

How awful.  Someone threw buidling Z-Nails all over the road here.  I'm sure it was in retaliation.  So annoying and dangerous for cars and trucks.  Expensive car tyres destroyed.

Avatar
Duncann [1177 posts] 2 months ago
2 likes

It might help if the authorities made the point loudly and repeatedly that every incident of this sort would delay the re-opening of the road to motor traffic. Perhaps two hours per incident?

Not enough to punish the innocent majority too much but enough to make the perpetrators see the foolishness of their ways.