Home
Team Sky rider has been having problems with his knee, and will now head for Tour de France

Team Sky's Geraint Thomas has abandoned the Giro d’Italia due to the injuries he sustained in a crash during Sunday’s Stage 9 after a rider ahead of him crashed into aa police motorbike.

The incident saw the Welsh rider lose more than five minutes to his overall rivals and while he got some of that back on Tuesday's individual time trial, where he finished second, he lost more time on the subsequent two road stages.

> Video: "It shouldn't happen" - Geraint Thomas on crash that has wrecked his Giro d'Italia hopes

“I’ve been suffering since my crash on Sunday," he said. "I’ve had an issue with my shoulder which is manageable, but my knee has also been getting worse each day. 

“Obviously it’s never nice to leave a race early, especially when it’s your main goal of the season, but I have to look at the bigger picture. I'd love to continue, but it would be a case of trying to survive each day rather than racing.

“I’ll turn my attention to the Tour de France now, and I want to arrive there with the same good form I started the Giro with. 

“I want to thank all the staff and riders here," Thomas added.

"It’s been great fun and I wish them all the best for the remainder of the Giro. I’ve really enjoyed racing in Italy again. The fans have been amazing and I’ll be back.” 

Team principal Sir Dave Brailsford said: “It’s desperately sad for Geraint. He has worked hard to arrive here in such great condition and we were looking forward to seeing him compete.

“As always, he has shown true fighting spirit and demonstrated what a competitor he is, but the impacts of a crash like that take their toll. We have to make sure that his injuries are managed optimally, ensure he is able to maintain his fitness and condition, and then look to set new targets.

“As far as the team goes, the GC has gone but there is still plenty to fight for and the opportunity is there for our riders to achieve a stage win in the 100th Giro,” he added.

Thomas's battling spirit in riding on for three stages despite his injuries drew praise from the race organisers in a message posted on Twitter this afternoon.

Born in Scotland, Simon moved to London aged seven and now lives in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds with his miniature schnauzer, Elodie. He fell in love with cycling one Saturday morning in 1994 while living in Italy when Milan-San Remo went past his front door. A daily cycle commuter in London back before riding to work started to boom, he's been news editor at road.cc since 2009. Handily for work, he speaks French and Italian. He doesn't get to ride his Colnago as often as he'd like, and freely admits he's much more adept at cooking than fettling with bikes.

9 comments

Avatar
MandaiMetric [119 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Sad, but not unexpected after time loss yesterday on a flat run in.

Avatar
Yorkshire wallet [1074 posts] 1 month ago
1 like

I'm surprised he even bothered with the last couple of days. Froome will need him in tip-top shape soon.

Avatar
MandaiMetric [119 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I'm surprised he even bothered with the last couple of days. Froome will need him in tip-top shape soon.

Waut Pouels just returning to training from a knee injury too... He tweeted he was heading to Tenerife a couple of days ago.

Avatar
Arno du Galibier [76 posts] 1 month ago
5 likes
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I'm surprised he even bothered with the last couple of days. Froome will need him in tip-top shape soon.

Which is why this is particularly dissapointing for G. He'll spend the Tour turning himself inside out for Froome with little concern for his own result. The Giro was a chance for him to step out of Froome's shadow in a grand tour.

Avatar
hari11 [5 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

that really is a shame - would've liked to of seen him on the podium - seeing as he most likely won't make the podium at the tour

Avatar
Jackson [326 posts] 1 month ago
1 like
Arno du Galibier wrote:
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I'm surprised he even bothered with the last couple of days. Froome will need him in tip-top shape soon.

Which is why this is particularly dissapointing for G. He'll spend the Tour turning himself inside out for Froome with little concern for his own result. The Giro was a chance for him to step out of Froome's shadow in a grand tour.

That's his job though and presumably he's decided it's worth it financially to stay at Sky. If he'd gone to Garmin or another of the smaller teams 4 years ago he could have been the leader throughout the spring classics then again at the Tour. I reckon he'd have a Tour of Flanders, maybe a Paris-Roubaix, and grand tour podium at least. 

I respect Richie Porte for having the stones to leave Sky and throw his hat in the ring as a Tour contender. Hopefully Geraint doesn't end up wishing he'd done the same. I'm guessing he'd be on a lot more money towing Froome around than Bardet or Pinot who are paid to try and win the Tour.

 

Avatar
SNS1938 [98 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jackson wrote:

...

I respect Richie Porte for having the stones to leave Sky and throw his hat in the ring as a Tour contender. Hopefully Geraint doesn't end up wishing he'd done the same. I'm guessing he'd be on a lot more money towing Froome around than Bardet or Pinot who are paid to try and win the Tour.

 

Agreed. I really hope Porte is the one challenging Froome at the tour and maybe put enough pressure on him that he makes a mistake. 

Avatar
MandaiMetric [119 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes
Jackson wrote:

That's his job though and presumably he's decided it's worth it financially to stay at Sky. If he'd gone to Garmin or another of the smaller teams 4 years ago he could have been the leader throughout the spring classics then again at the Tour. I reckon he'd have a Tour of Flanders, maybe a Paris-Roubaix, and grand tour podium at least. 

I respect Richie Porte for having the stones to leave Sky and throw his hat in the ring as a Tour contender. Hopefully Geraint doesn't end up wishing he'd done the same. I'm guessing he'd be on a lot more money towing Froome around than Bardet or Pinot who are paid to try and win the Tour.

I thought both Landa's & Thomas' contracts with Sky are up at the end of the season? Did GT renew already?  Or maybe I imagined it  1

Avatar
barbarus [433 posts] 1 month ago
0 likes

Porte's got the stones but maybe not the chops and definitely not the backup. Sky have so much strength in depth...