Video: "My name is Penis Head" — meet Britain's sweariest driver

Motorist caught on camera delivering torrent of abuse after roundabout incident

by John Stevenson   June 18, 2014  

Mr Penis Head holds forth

Sometimes helmetcam riders get talking to drivers who’ve done stupid things and the conversation goes no further than a simple apology, albeit often followed by “mate, I didn’t see you”. But sometimes, despite being clearly in the wrong, a driver will go right off the deep end anyway, like the chap here who we’re going to call Mr Penis Head, since he says that’s his name.

It’s one of the few repeatable things he does say and you’ll want to turn down the volume if your workmates have tender ears.

In the video, the rider who goes by the YouTube handle Urbane is crossing a roundabout at what appears to be the end of Harbourne Gardens in Southampton.

As the rider approaches the first exit from the roundabout, Mr Penis Head, driving a Jaguar with stickers and logos enters the roundabout. The rider sounds his horn and after the driver stops and reverses into the roundabout a full and frank exchange of views follows, with Mr Penis Head delivering most of the frankness.

In his comments on YouTube, Urbane says: “I thought I was pretty diplomatic, considering the circumstances” and we tend to agree. Here’s how it went down in his own words:

Parental Advisory... Excessive swearing, aggressive behavior and stupid driving.

This rabid loon is called, by his own admission, Penishead Cockfacedcunt ;-0 although it said Mark on his sticker.

He is probably an inspirational figurehead and a fine representative for PowerSlideRides (logos and his name conveniently plastered all over his XJS), but I fear he may have had a tad too much high octane go-go juice in his veins, when he nearly ran me over this morning. Perhaps he had been drinking diesel instead of petrol that morning.

I hit my horn, as a warning, before the car is even on the roundabout, and (despite what he says) you can see that I am easily half way across before the car rips past, narrowly missing me on my bike.

He screeched to a halt and reversed round the roundabout (!) to confront me for having the temerity to honk my horn at him. But he soon scuttled back into his vehicle when I was not intimidated by his shiny piston shaped head and aggressive swearing.

I thought I was pretty diplomatic, considering the circumstances, if he had just said sorry everything would have been quickly forgotten. But now, I'm going to let the viewers decide...

Who do you think is being aggressive? Wink

While Mr Penis Head doesn't manage the sheer delivery speed and quantity of expletives of the previous holder of the title of Britain's Sweariest Driver, we think he makes up for it with a wider range of creative abuse. Coincidentally, or perhaps not if you believe that the car you drive says something about your personality - both of the potty mouthed protaganists drive Jags.

We should point out that although the car in this video clearly displays the name, phone numbers and website of a business that doesn't necessarily mean that the driver is associated with those phone numbers - and as the business in question has so far proved uncontactable the true identity of the driver cannot be verified - except that he goes by the name of Penis Head. 

193 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Just to drag this hilarious thread a little bit back towards topic, I remain incredulous at drivers such as this. It seems a prevalent attitude amongst the 4 wheeled community (of which I am also one, 2 cars on the drive, 2 motorcycles in the garage, one of which is about to be chopped in for a new one (woohoo!) and 3 bicycles gently purring in their stable) that they are not, under any circumstance, allowed to be criticised by a cyclist, regardless of what they may have done wrong. I'll elaborate. Car driver commits driving error. Be it close pass, high speed close pass, close pass through pinch point, left hook, overtaking directly towards you, SMIDSY, just don't fucking see you or care either way 'cos you're just a cyclist. Said cyclist shows their displeasure at what the driver's done, as in this case. Driver then further abuses cyclist, either by gesture, verbally or physically. The physically never happens to me, unfortunately, despite being my lowest weight for years, I still look like a cage fighter, but my point is this; the driver's fucked up, but they are not allowed to be criticised. They've done something wrong, but as "just a cyclist", you're not allowed to make any comment or indication that their near miss, which would've seriously hurt or even killed you, has made you unhappy. However, not only are they "allowed" to execute such a manouevre, if you do happen to show your ire at it, they are further allowed to act in a selfish and entitled manner and call your pint a puff. Why is this? Do people go through some sort of mindshift when they get behind the wheel of a car? Or are we, as a society, incapable of accepting criticism, especially when in control of a two ton motorised vehicle? Maybe it's just me...

carlosjenno's picture

posted by carlosjenno [39 posts]
21st June 2014 - 5:19

6 Likes

Nope, it's not just you. I think some of it has to do with how we as a society regard cars. Yes, they may have made an error but they're the grown ups operating the grown up stuff, and you're just playing with your kids toy, how dare you criticise them ...

And some of it of course has to do with such people being complete and utter muppets regardless of whether they're in a car or not. It's not all drivers - I've had some drivers apologise to me, and I do not look like a cage fighter.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
21st June 2014 - 14:37

7 Likes

srchar wrote:
Harry J - I can see that you are trying as hard as you can to make a reasoned argument; your English is good and you clearly spend a lot of time crafting each post you make on this website. You don't swear or use insulting language and, in my view, have every right to express your opinion.

However, it is widely accepted that, when debating, if a number of people are able to debunk your theory using well-researched facts from peer-reviewed studies, you should concede to the opposition, or at least produce some facts to bolster your argument, rather than falling back on the same anecdotes and suppositions that have seen you widely mocked on this forum. To endlessly repeat the same point is, at best, a breathtaking display of ignorance and, at worst, simple trolling.

I love commuting, racing and trekking by bicycle. I also love racing and road trips in cars. I'm not showing off, merely proving that petrol runs in my veins, when I tell you that my own car is a Ferrari 355. Guess when I feel most at risk? Is it on the track, or on the autobahn at 150mph? No, it's when commuting through central London on a bicycle. Why? Because some people are inattentive, impatient morons. These traits manifest themselves as dangerous driving, nuisance cycling and careless...err...pedestrian-ing. The great divide between cyclists and motorists is entirely in your head.

I cannot believe that you honestly think that, when cycling, I should just accept that I might die or be severely injured because some idiot in a car just can't wait five seconds to join the back of the next traffic queue. When someone is killed by a car when walking on a pavement, we don't as a society just throw our arms in the air and say "oh well, shit happens" - there is outrage. Deaths caused by drink drivers aren't simply ignored because "that's what happens when pubs have car parks" - we've made it socially unacceptable and legally very serious to be drunk in charge of a motor vehicle. When I'm cycling, I pose an infinitesimal risk to others around me. The ridiculous notion that one car might swerve into another when avoiding me is just that - ridiculous. Even if it were to happen, the occupants of the cars will be fine.

I suggest you just give it up, because you're not going to win the argument, especially on a bike forum. I would be interested to see what sort of response you get in the "Pedal Powered" section of PistonHeads. I would hope it is similar to the response you've had here on road.cc.

Wow this is still going?

Ok i've not got the energy to read all the post made since my last one in full but this one caught my eye

srchar, we may well know each other Wink especially if you know what what happening at Dunsfold today and tomorrow ....

I'm not expecting to change anyones mind on here, but i do expect to hear opinions that differ from my own so i can add those to my cerebral database and draw on them.

In legal terms there's nothing new but in terms of opinions i have learnt...
Having said that, i am concerned that i'm being accused either of being the person in the video or a simple troll (or an idiot - which sadly seems to be the least insulting of the 3 Sad )

I still feel you guys are not getting my actual point of view... as you've said above - people are debunking what they think are my theories. The reason i keep coming back to it is that I don't think they get what my actual point is... either because they are misreading my posts or more likely that i'm not putting it well.

so.........

i'm not saying things shouldn't change, i'm not saying car drivers are saints and cyclists are sinners i'm just saying that it's dangerous out there, cyclists are the most vulnerable and most other road users are unaware of their responsibilities in light of that.

Therefore in my opinion (and i reiterate this being the status quo I perceive which i do not feel is fair but is a reality in my view) cyclists have to understand that the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders and that cyclists cannot rely on the law, cannot count on drivers to suddenly become cyclist aware and cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe.

You may feel the last point is redundant but for me, that is the one that a lot of cyclists don't take on board and for me that is the scariest thing.

That's my view of how things are now.... it's taken me this long to say it in such clear terms so i'm sorry about that but perhaps not responding to specific accusations makes it easier to put a point across.... or maybe it doesn't let's see......

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
21st June 2014 - 22:14

2 Likes

Harry_J wrote:

... i'm just saying that it's dangerous out there, cyclists are the most vulnerable and most other road users are unaware of their responsibilities in light of that.

Therefore in my opinion (and i reiterate this being the status quo I perceive which i do not feel is fair but is a reality in my view) cyclists have to understand that the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders and that cyclists cannot rely on the law, cannot count on drivers to suddenly become cyclist aware and cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe.

Harry_J, no one here is saying that being in the right keeps you safe. I'm not sure who you're trying to convince of that because I'm not seeing anyone needing to be convinced there.

However, the trouble with your position as expressed in that paragraph there is that as a cyclist, you can ride as safely as you want and you can still get wiped out by an idiot who drives his or her car carelessly. Trust me when I say that an experienced bicycle commuter can pretty much be relied upon to do everything right. But that doesn't keep him or her safe from dangerous muppets like the one in the video.

You will notice that the cyclist in the video did everything right. He looked to his right hand side to ensure that he was clear for entering the roundabout. He even managed to brake in time for a road user that did everything wrong.

So, I'm not sure what you are suggesting for us to do, other than what most of us are already doing, i.e. riding defensively and in accordance with the rules of the road. We already understand that. But do you understand that that still doesn't protect us from dangerous drivers? What is your point here? Maybe you really are not putting it well.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
21st June 2014 - 23:40

3 Likes

I also have to say, as others have already pointed out, that the story which you put forward here about what led you to this thread on this website isn't exactly what I would call plausible. Bit dodgy, TBH.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
21st June 2014 - 23:47

3 Likes

Harry_J = TROLL

Airzound

posted by Airzound [449 posts]
21st June 2014 - 23:48

2 Likes

Airzound wrote:

Harry_J = TROLL

IMHO the most likely explanation is that it's actually "Mr Penishead Cockfacedcunt" himself. After calming down somewhat he must have realised that pulling that kind of stunt with his company name written in nice big letters on his car in front of a camera wasn't the smartest thing he'd ever done, and proceeded to google about it, found this thread, and figured he'd attempt some damage control by trying to convince everyone that this wasn't Mark because "Mark had hair some years ago". Over the course of the next 48 hours this certainly morphed into a hopeless attempt at trolling seeing how he wasn't getting anywhere.

This doesn't mean that he shouldn't expect to have his views challenged - it also doesn't mean that he couldn't possibly learn something from the experience.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 0:48

2 Likes

Anyone checked the video timings? Approaching the roundabout the car covers approaching 30 feet in 0.2 seconds, and then check the distance he takes to stop after noticing that the cyclist has crashed/stopped abruptly. Not exactly 30mph - especially when the revving engine is also clearly heard on the approach.

Camera position/angle could have been better though, a bit too much sky.

47 years of breaking bikes and still they offer me a 10 year frame warranty!

A V Lowe's picture

posted by A V Lowe [499 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 5:59

5 Likes

Harry_J wrote:
Therefore in my opinion (and i reiterate this being the status quo I perceive which i do not feel is fair but is a reality in my view) cyclists have to understand that the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders and that cyclists cannot rely on the law, cannot count on drivers to suddenly become cyclist aware and cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe.

You may feel the last point is redundant but for me, that is the one that a lot of cyclists don't take on board and for me that is the scariest thing.

Here's what you're too wedded to your 'theory' to understand:

We're 100% aware that despite using road craft well, following the Highway Code, and being defensive, we're not safe because (some) drivers simply don't want to bother being careful drivers.

We take that as fact, but refuse to let those drivers be excused for their dangerous negligence.

posted by jacknorell [516 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 11:10

8 Likes

jacknorell wrote:
Harry_J wrote:
Therefore in my opinion (and i reiterate this being the status quo I perceive which i do not feel is fair but is a reality in my view) cyclists have to understand that the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders and that cyclists cannot rely on the law, cannot count on drivers to suddenly become cyclist aware and cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe.

You may feel the last point is redundant but for me, that is the one that a lot of cyclists don't take on board and for me that is the scariest thing.

Here's what you're too wedded to your 'theory' to understand:

We're 100% aware that despite using road craft well, following the Highway Code, and being defensive, we're not safe because (some) drivers simply don't want to bother being careful drivers.

We take that as fact, but refuse to let those drivers be excused for their dangerous negligence.

I totally get that, and as one of the few non abusers left in the conversation I thank you...

I'm not wedded to my theory - what you've actually written is the whole crux of what i have been saying......

Where i disagree is your point about being 100% aware of the situation.

I have no doubt you personally are aware, However I do not feel you can speak for every cyclist and whilst that doesn't excuse the car drivers one iota it does make me wonder if those who lack that awareness do so out of lack of care, lack of knowledge or straightforward belligerence....

I feel all of the above hold, some cyclists are great some are ignorant, some are belligerent and some just don't care....

Once again (and it's sad that I have to keep saying this) It doesn't mean that car drivers should not be held responsible for what they do or don't do, but I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

Does that make sense?
if it doesn't pm me your phone number and i will happily chat (in a totally unheated way - this is not me saying oiiii you, outside!) it over because i can see what i am saying and it isn't far off what you are...but i've no doubt someone will jump on this post and tell me i'm a troll or an idiot or whatever their word of choice may be this evening...

Personally i don't really care what you think I am.... A man knows who he is without the need for external validation but I do find it funny when even my reason for being on this forum is questioned....

please for the love of (whoever the patron saint of cyclists may be) why oh why would I have ventured over here and onto this thread if i had not been sent a link...

Your own webmaster will be able to tell you my ip address and if he is any good also the fact that i arrived here after clicking a link...

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 18:35

3 Likes

oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 18:36

2 Likes

Harry_J wrote:
oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

Oh look, I got an email too, just now:

Harry_J wrote:

On 22 Jun 2014, at 23:23, bozo wrote:

From: bozo Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
Look at me, posting stuff into a text box on a website, surely this is totally authentic!

--

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 22:24

2 Likes

userfriendly wrote:
Harry_J wrote:
oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

Oh look, I got an email too, just now:

Harry_J wrote:

On 22 Jun 2014, at 23:23, bozo wrote:

From: bozo Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
Look at me, posting stuff into a text box on a website, surely this is totally authentic!

--

Ok, For this one I will bite......

Perhaps where you are the world revolves around you....
Perhaps you are so narcissistic that you think your opinion is the only one that actually matters?

considering I was sent that email (but have decided not to put the email address it was sent from because I felt perhaps that would not be a nice thing to do) and i know that is the truth It will give me a real indication of the sort of people I am speaking to to find out if someone is willing to hold up their hand to sending it.

If they do then I am happy to meet some human beings, if they decide not to then I sense I will need to go elsewhere for intellect coupled with honesty and integrity.

Or in simple terms - it was not aimed at you, it was aimed at the person who sent the mail who clearly has had some interaction with this thread hence sending me the link.

So, it's none of your business you petty and argumentative excuse for a human being - It would be appreciated if your keyboard warrior skills were pitted against someone who has a similar iq to you, I hear the teletubbies are returning perhaps that might be a good start?

If i want your opinion in the future, I shall give it to you.

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 22:59

3 Likes

Harry_J wrote:

So, it's none of your business you petty and argumentative excuse for a human being - It would be appreciated if your keyboard warrior skills were pitted against someone who has a similar iq to you, I hear the teletubbies are returning perhaps that might be a good start?

Applause Glad you managed to remain as calm and polite as you expect everyone else to be. Oh, wait ...

Harry_J wrote:

If i want your opinion in the future, I shall give it to you.

Sense, this makes none.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 23:05

2 Likes

Did I swear at you?

No i simply stated my opinion based on your conduct and ability to grasp basic English thus far....
Oh and yes i am being somewhat passive aggressive in my patronising disparaging commentary.. It was my way of checking you were reading what i was typing....

On part two, It's a joke.....

Think about a nagging wife saying that to her husband....

I apologise. It was silly of me to consider subtle humour was within your skill set. Seriously, explaining things just gets boring.

it appears that the old mantra rings true...

If you're the smartest person in a room................
You're in the wrong room.

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 23:12

3 Likes

Harry_J wrote:
the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders

Nay, nay and thrice nay. I've commuted in central London by bike for ten years and I'm still here, which is pretty good evidence that I know how to cycle defensively. I've been had off three times and it's only because I've played quite a bit of contact sport and know how to take a fall that I've not been badly hurt. On precisely none of those three occasions did I contribute to the collision, other than by being there; one was a close overtake by a car pulling a wide trailer, one was a taxi doing a U-turn directly into me, and the most recent was a close overtake/dooring combo. There was nothing I could have done to avoid coming off, otherwise I'd have done it! There have been countless other near-misses that I have managed to narrowly avoid.

I would LOVE to be able to take full responsibility for my safety on the road, because getting hit hurts and 33 is a tad young to be made into road pizza. So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

posted by srchar [60 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 23:27

5 Likes

Harry_J wrote:
it appears that the old mantra rings true...

If you're the smartest person in a room................
You're in the wrong room.


You're certainly in the wrong room Smile

posted by srchar [60 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 23:29

4 Likes

srchar wrote:
Harry_J wrote:
the burden of responsibility for their safety falls upon their own shoulders

Nay, nay and thrice nay. I've commuted in central London by bike for ten years and I'm still here, which is pretty good evidence that I know how to cycle defensively. I've been had off three times and it's only because I've played quite a bit of contact sport and know how to take a fall that I've not been badly hurt. On precisely none of those three occasions did I contribute to the collision, other than by being there; one was a close overtake by a car pulling a wide trailer, one was a taxi doing a U-turn directly into me, and the most recent was a close overtake/dooring combo. There was nothing I could have done to avoid coming off, otherwise I'd have done it! There have been countless other near-misses that I have managed to narrowly avoid.

I would LOVE to be able to take full responsibility for my safety on the road, because getting hit hurts and 33 is a tad young to be made into road pizza. So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

Is there a horse in here or has it gone up Pompeii? Wink

I agree i didn't put my point across perfectly in my comment to your earlier....
Does this help?
Once again (and it's sad that I have to keep saying this) It doesn't mean that car drivers should not be held responsible for what they do or don't do, but I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

finally, serious question - I assume you were in earnest re your 355 ownership, is it a GTS, GTB or spider? and in all honesty do you know what was happening at Dunsfold today?
If so then i believe we do know each other....

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
22nd June 2014 - 23:42

2 Likes

srchar wrote:
So, what do you suggest I do, other than stop riding my bike entirely, that will allow me to shoulder the entire burden of responsibility for my own safety?

OK, Harry_J... Read this statement, which is what I tried to say before. No, read it again, and again, and the text that went with it.

Yes, we're 100% aware (at least on this thread) about exactly how it works.

And again...

The only way that we can cycle, is to hand over some of our safety into the hands of other road users. That's fine.

It's the careless & homicidal we have issues with!

posted by jacknorell [516 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 0:15

1 Like

Harry_J wrote:

Seriously, explaining things just gets boring.

No kidding. Smile

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 0:37

1 Like

Harry_J wrote:

I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

Again, you're not making any sense. None. What is this sentence supposed to say, really? Do you even know what you mean?

It tries stringing the following segments together:

Harry_J wrote:

I do not feel that cyclists can absolve themselves of all responsibility for accidents

Harry_J wrote:

if they do not take all possible steps to ensure it

Harry_J wrote:

especially given that even if they do the chances are some idiot in a car will take them out anyway....

And it fails horribly. Technically, this is an English sentence. But it makes no sense. Do they, or don't they take all possible steps? That's an either-or proposition - and yet in both cases they are responsible for getting wiped out? What?

I think you're full of shite, you have no clue how to argue your point, and your actual point really is "get off my road, or it'll be your own fault if I run you over". Isn't it?

Good job, "Harry" (Mark). Good job.

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 0:47

1 Like

Harry_J wrote:
oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

Firstly, I am astonished that this thread is still going on. As I said before, I got bored with the deeply unpleasant nature of the posts from some of the contributors on here. You are an embarrassment to the majority of the cycling community.

Harry_J, I don't understand why you have stayed on so long. It seems to me that you have tried to engage in a philosophical debate about cycling safety which is separate from the original issue about the standard of driving displayed by Mark Angliss. Unfortunately you are debating with people who are incapable of understanding that and thus respond with abuse - much in the way that many testosterone fuelled drivers do when challenged about their driving standards. Forums such as this are the wrong place to have that sort of debate as they are inhabited by people who have a fixed viewpoint and won't explore anything outside of that. I'd be happy to have that debate over a pint. but that ain't gonna happen.

Secondly, it was I who invited you to view this video. I similarly invited as many of Mark's contacts as I could find from my sleuthing, as I am sure some of those would definitely not want to be associated with such behaviour. I actually thought that you would be the least likely to engage given the nature of your business, but bravo to you for doing so. All I can say is, surely you must have better things to do. I did receive replies from others that Mark claims to be involved with and perhaps the knock-on effect will cause him to rethink his behaviour in future.

I'm aware that I'm sticking me neck out here as I'm probably traceable and so could attract repercussions from either Mark (Mr Penishead) or some of the idiots on this forum for being too kind to you. But hey, I think I've taken the right stance ... and its a common name. Smile

Now I really do think this thread has run its course.
Bye

andybwhite's picture

posted by andybwhite [207 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 8:05

5 Likes

Andy,

Thank you for clarifying that, much appreciated.

I agree this thread has run it's course which is a shame as it actually does debate a very important set of points.

I can understand why at first glance you thought we might not engage but if you dig deeper (which i sense you may have done already) you will find that our ethic is about having fun in safety, driving in appropriate locations and respecting our surroundings.

As I eluded to earlier with my comments about Dunsfold - we are the 'driving force' behind a large scale charity event that benefits children with acquired brain trauma - a high percentage of which come from RTA's so I am very well acquainted with the dangers cars present on the road - I'm one of those that tries to assist those who have suffered from them.

When i say large scale i mean Chris Evans turned up yesterday as he did the year before, last year we had 12,000 people through the gates across 2 days and this year we think it will be more...This morning i am truly shattered.

It's sad that people can no longer accept things at face value, i've not tried to pretend i'm something i'm not or that i am right all the time, but it seems that every opinion voiced needs to be proven before it is even considered, i guess that's just human nature based on experience in this era.....Andy you said it much better than i did.

I have learnt a lot (as i said a long time ago) I was hoping for a more pleasant debate that focussed on the issues at large instead of focussing my sentence construction but C'est la vie, n'est pas?

Once again Andy thank you for proving to me that i'm not completely nuts about receiving your email ( was starting to wonder for a moment)

To everyone else, please stay safe I wish you well.

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 8:56

4 Likes

andybwhite wrote:
Harry_J wrote:
oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

Firstly, I am astonished that this thread is still going on. As I said before, I got bored with the deeply unpleasant nature of the posts from some of the contributors on here. You are an embarrassment to the majority of the cycling community...............................

..................Now I really do think this thread has run its course.
Bye

Oh, I don't think so. Not while that nice Mr Harry J is trolling his rubbish and the likes of his acquaintance, Mr Mark (Penis Head) Angliss, are still lose on the road.

It's got a long way to go yet.

Did Nightrider 2013 and 2014 for Parkinson's UK. Might just have one last go in 2015.

jova54's picture

posted by jova54 [628 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 9:11

1 Like

jova54 wrote:
andybwhite wrote:
Harry_J wrote:
oh and this is the email I got.....

On 18 Jun 2014, at 14:55, andy
wrote:

From: andy Subject: [your-subject]

Message Body:
I see you are connected with the guy in this news article – do you really think this is wise?
http://road.cc/content/news/121405-video-my-name-penis-head-—-meet-britains-sweariest-driver

--

Firstly, I am astonished that this thread is still going on. As I said before, I got bored with the deeply unpleasant nature of the posts from some of the contributors on here. You are an embarrassment to the majority of the cycling community...............................

..................Now I really do think this thread has run its course.
Bye

Oh, I don't think so. Not while that nice Mr Harry J is trolling his rubbish and the likes of his acquaintance, Mr Mark (Penis Head) Angliss, are still lose on the road.

It's got a long way to go yet.

Big Grin

Brilliant, just brilliant.

Andy, I wish you luck with the people on this forum.
You know the best thing about other peoples kids?

You can give them back.

Wink

posted by Harry_J [36 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 9:18

4 Likes

And finally, I get to 'meet' the person speaking for "the majority of the cycling community". Hi there!

It's funny how the two of you complain about people being "unpleasant" while at the same time showing the exact kind of behaviour yourselves that you claim to be too mature for. Know what that makes you? Twatwaffles. Of the particularly dumb and full of themselves kind. I'm certainly not above insulting people if I feel that it's deserved. And, evidently, neither are you - but unlike me, you claim you are when you're clearly not. That is what I would call "unpleasant".

It's jolly nice nice of you, Andy, to finally come forward. Why not earlier though? A lot of the suspicion could have been avoided that way. Especially given the way that Harry here seems incapable of sticking to a specific version of his story, just like he seems incapable of sticking to a specific version of his arguments. First the email address was "false", then he changed this to "decided not to put the email address it was sent from". I don't think anybody here could possibly be blamed for finding his story a tad hard to believe initially and even more so afterwards, until you came along and confirmed at least parts of it.

And Harry, you still haven't answered the question posed to you, by me and at least two others in this thread, what the heck makes you think that a cyclist who takes all possible precautions, riding defensively and carefully, fully abiding by the rules of the road, is somehow still to blame for being wiped out? You were not particularly coherent in this regard before, maybe you want to try again?

Work harder. Buy a tank.

userfriendly's picture

posted by userfriendly [316 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 14:04

2 Likes

I'm sorry that some comments here got into a spiral of rudeness. It really doesn't help anybody (but it is an ever-present temptation to go that way in these sorts of arguments). And I do think that casting doubts on the story of how Harry_J came to post here was a bit unnecessary (and not relevant to the topic anyway)

But, Harry_J, while polite, has stuck to a totally fixed-position, which is simply incorrect.

Take the following statements:

"there are bad drivers, there are bad cyclists, they all cause accidents, angst and trauma."

At attempt at equivalence which is just flat-out factually wrong. The bad drivers cause far, far more trauma than the bad cyclists.

" i'm saying cycling is dangerous"

Again, wrong. Cycling isn't dangerous - its the driving that brings the danger to the situation. Its that old transitive/intransitive distinction again.

" why not learn to co exist with motorists? you will not change the fact they are human so why try?"

This just comes across as patronising, and also misses the point. Almost all cyclists who stay on the roads have had no choice but to 'learn to co-exist with motorists', but it doesn't keep them safe because at least a substantial minority of drivers just won't learn to co-exist with cyclists. (Incidentally, my experience is that most 'bad cyclists' don't deal with motorists at all, because they stick entirely to the pavements).

And I agree we can't change the fact of drivers being normal flawed humans, which is why, in my opinion, we need better infrastructure to improve our chances against those humans with weapons (who behave in the way humans always do when they have weapons). Better law enforcement would help as well though.

"cyclists as the vulnerable should take on the mindset that being in the right does not keep you safe. "

Again - that just comes over as patronising, as everyone here already knows that from experience. Anyone taking up cycling on the roads will learn that very quickly. And again, its why things need to change.

What annoyed me initially was your (Harry_J)'s claim that there's an equivalence, that 'bad cyclists' are exactly equivalent to 'bad motorists' in both numbers and effect. A lot of drivers seem to think that and it is just nonsense on stilts.

posted by FluffyKittenofT... [733 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 15:09

6 Likes

And as I've pointed out as well Fluffy, by far the majority of adult cyclists are drivers also.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2288 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 18:57

3 Likes

Harry_J wrote:
I assume you were in earnest re your 355 ownership, is it a GTS, GTB or spider? and in all honesty do you know what was happening at Dunsfold today?

I'm a car nut, so it's a manual GTB, of course. Am aware of the charity event at Dunsfold but didn't want to show up Chris Evans' LaFerrari with my Capristo.

I really don't think we know eachother, by the way.

posted by srchar [60 posts]
23rd June 2014 - 19:45

3 Likes

the mind shift people go thru is power.
as soon as you give someone a motor they are more powerful, and some people want to exert that power.

examples:

car driver is annoyed and cyclists slowing them down, they are impeding their power.

truck drivers bully car drivers and everyone else because they are biggest.

busses push out in front of cars and taxis.

tax drivers have more experience and are bigger than a lot of cars to push in front of them.

a cyclist gets on a bike and is faster than a pedestrian, sometimes they exert that power over them and shout at stupid pedestrians crossing the road or being idots

.. so, i think, generally speaking, its a food chain thing, everyone wants to give s**t to the weaker person below them! its not right, but generally its true

Feel the fear and do it anyway

hood's picture

posted by hood [117 posts]
25th June 2014 - 12:38

2 Likes