Driver fined £625 & given five points for attacking cyclist with car

Deliberately hitting a cyclist: "driving without due care and attention"

by John Stevenson   June 3, 2014  

Justice (Lonpicman, Wikimedia Commons)

A driver who left the scene after deliberately driving into a cyclist and knocking him off his bike in Richmond Park has been fined just £625 and given five penalty points.

Jon Weale, 29, from Kingston, Surrey was driving his Jaguar X-type on Sawyer’s Hill in the park on July 27 last year, when he drew alongside a cyclist, Lavender Hill Magistrates’ Court heard.

According to Tom Ambrose in the Richmond & Twickenham Times, Weale’s passenger shouted abuse at the cyclist about who had right of way. Weale sounded his horn and the rider responded by swearing.

Weale then drove at the cyclist, knocked him off his bike, and drove away.

He pleaded not guilty to charges of driving without due care and attention and failing to stop.

The court fined Weale £100 for careless driving but did not endorse his licence. He was fined a further £250 and ordered to pay £250 costs and a victim surcharge of £25.

For the failing to stop offence he was given five penalty points.

72 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

That is only 2points more and the same fine I got for pleading guilty to speeding 76 in a 50 on an empty dual carriage way.

This deserves letters to the home secratary to appeal the sentence, and an investigation as to why this was notcharged as dangerous driving.

posted by balmybaldwin [36 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 18:01

13 Likes

Deliberatley hit someone with a hammer - attempted murder.
Deliberatley hit someone with a car - just careless!
Absurd! Angry

posted by brodibike [12 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 18:53

26 Likes

For once, what a shame the Police didn't have a car parked up at the foot of Sawyer Hill.

posted by bikebot [541 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 19:09

7 Likes

Using a gun to kill someone is just plain stupid.... use your car to run them over. The senile old bastards in court will let you off with finger wagging, probably for getting caught!

Surely you already knew that!?! Confused

Endorphines going up and adrenaline going down, who needs drugs?

posted by banzicyclist2 [218 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 19:32

6 Likes

A Polish national called Wlodzimierz Umaniec, also known as Vladimir Umanets, attacked a painting, an inanimate object, in 2012 to promote his artistic movement, Yellowism...

... and spent 18 months in prison.

Really, though?

posted by workhard [383 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 19:56

12 Likes

I'm sure I read that in some countries they have classified motor vehicles a deadly weapons, therefore, a wilful assault with one, as opposed to just being a shit driver, becomes an assault with a deadly weapon.

I think the law needs to catch up with this now.

All Campag

posted by Flying Scot [538 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 20:49

19 Likes

I've never understood why a car is treated differently from a hammer or a cricket bat or anything else you might attack someone with. Accidentally kill someone with a hammer or by throwing a fire extinguisher off a building and it's manslaughter - no question. Why can't we treat all objects the same?

posted by SteppenHerring [196 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 21:19

9 Likes

Rupert wrote:
Huw are you sure you have the right man there we don't want this to get nasty !

It's him

He makes his living from helping others to get fitter. Rather odd then that he harbours such vitriol for cyclists

posted by Huw Watkins [56 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 21:21

20 Likes

Huw Watkins wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Huw are you sure you have the right man there we don't want this to get nasty !

It's him

He makes his living from helping others to get fitter. Rather odd then that he harbours such vitriol for cyclists


Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

posted by SteppenHerring [196 posts]
3rd June 2014 - 23:08

5 Likes

Sad that the 5 points was imposed for "not stopping" - have always assumed that this offence is considered serious by the police and courts because it is intended to protect drivers from financial loss not because of any reasons of concern about injuries - a law intended to protect property is the only effective one in a case of intended physical harm.
Considering the driver pleaded not guilty seems very odd that no points were given for the careless driving charge as sentencing guidelines indicate 3 points minimum.
8points might make the driver think about his driving behaviour.
As to the cyclist swearing at the driver (or his passenger) I'm pretty sure that in assault case this wouldn't be considered - am thinking of some high profile cases involving footballers being wound up at nightclubs and then lashing out - the prior verbal abuse isn't accepted as a legitimate reason for a violent response.

Magistrate sentences in line with societies expectations shocker Sad

edit not defending the sentence there should be some sort of "wreckless endangerment" charge - the driver intended harm and if that isn't dangerous driving the law needs changing

posted by antigee [151 posts]
4th June 2014 - 0:05

4 Likes

SteppenHerring wrote:
Huw Watkins wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Huw are you sure you have the right man there we don't want this to get nasty !

It's him

He makes his living from helping others to get fitter. Rather odd then that he harbours such vitriol for cyclists


Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Cyclists on a cycling forum complaining that a sentence is too lenient is an internet jihad? WTF?

posted by kie7077 [470 posts]
4th June 2014 - 1:47

8 Likes

SteppenHerring wrote:

Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Hardly jihad

Actions have consequences and if he's hit it in the pocket a little, then what's wrong with that?

posted by Huw Watkins [56 posts]
4th June 2014 - 8:09

8 Likes

Huw Watkins wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/jon.weale?fref=ts

http://www.jjw-personal-training.co.uk/about-me/

A personal trainer. To be avoided I would suggest

If this is the person concerned then yes, he is perhaps someone to be avoided. But is this really him? Are you absolutely sure? And by posting these details on the Internet, are you not risking some sort of rough justice being meted out to him? I don't think the sentence he received was appropriate, but nor do I believe in mob rule or vigilante action.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2199 posts]
4th June 2014 - 9:08

8 Likes

My missus once applied to be a magistrate... she failed.

Apparently her rigidly unforgiving views on drink driving were not in line with those of the magistrates

to quote: "...I think we've all just had one more than we really should one time or another..."

I have no faith in our magistrate system whatsoever... best course of action in these incidents is make a note of the registration number, locate the drivers address, get your car, drive to the persons address and then 'accidentally' run the blighter down... whats the worst that can happen?

posted by Jimmy Ray Will [278 posts]
4th June 2014 - 9:35

12 Likes

SteppenHerring wrote:

Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Its interesting that "jihad" has such negative connotations in the West, whilst the Christian equivalent, "crusade" is much more positive.

posted by felixcat [213 posts]
4th June 2014 - 9:55

12 Likes

OK, so we've all come to the agreement that the driver is a first class tw@t and the law is useless, so what are we all going to do about it?

Ah, yes... Sweet FA! Applause

Stay safe out there. Wink

SustranSoftie

posted by Sustransoftie [9 posts]
4th June 2014 - 11:06

2 Likes

OldRidgeback wrote:
Huw Watkins wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/jon.weale?fref=ts

http://www.jjw-personal-training.co.uk/about-me/

A personal trainer. To be avoided I would suggest

If this is the person concerned then yes, he is perhaps someone to be avoided. But is this really him? Are you absolutely sure? And by posting these details on the Internet, are you not risking some sort of rough justice being meted out to him? I don't think the sentence he received was appropriate, but nor do I believe in mob rule or vigilante action.

I couldn't condone mob rule but naming and shaming might make people think twice in future. I'd like to think that some drivers may have learnt from the Emma Way incident.

If some rough justice is applied then won't the miscreants will get similarly thorough treatment from the law as this jackass 'personal trainer'?

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [1963 posts]
4th June 2014 - 13:25

2 Likes

So thats the Jon Weale of BARNFIELD AVENUE, Kingston then is it. (as reported in all the local press).
Wont be hard to find the jag

posted by duc888 [35 posts]
4th June 2014 - 13:57

8 Likes

Huw Watkins wrote:
Rupert wrote:
Huw are you sure you have the right man there we don't want this to get nasty !

It's him

He makes his living from helping others to get fitter. Rather odd then that he harbours such vitriol for cyclists

Road rage or 'roid rage?

Either way he's got anger management issues.

Really, though?

posted by workhard [383 posts]
4th June 2014 - 14:31

6 Likes

Huw Watkins wrote:
SteppenHerring wrote:

Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Hardly jihad

Actions have consequences and if he's hit it in the pocket a little, then what's wrong with that?

His twitter and fb pages have been taken down which would suggest it's him, otherwise surely you'd leave them up with a denial ?

Hopefully it'll cost him some clients and some more cash, knob

Argon18 E-112 - Scott Spark 910 - Boardman Team Carbon - Planet X XLS

posted by colinth [187 posts]
4th June 2014 - 14:39

3 Likes

colinth wrote:
Huw Watkins wrote:
SteppenHerring wrote:

Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Hardly jihad

Actions have consequences and if he's hit it in the pocket a little, then what's wrong with that?

His twitter and fb pages have been taken down which would suggest it's him, otherwise surely you'd leave them up with a denial ?

Hopefully it'll cost him some clients and some more cash, knob

I checked as soon as I saw this and the FB link still works.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2199 posts]
4th June 2014 - 15:00

0 Likes

The law has dealt with him. If you don't like how it did it, then change the law by taking some time to agitate for tougher sentences for this sort of behaviour.

This sort of internet bullying is similar behaviour* to a person riding a cyclist off the road with a car - and I presume no one here would like that.

*Yeah - before you start nit-picking and go whining on about lethality and so on, it's still bullying. The weapon used is different, not the attitude of the person wielding it.

Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

jmaccelari's picture

posted by jmaccelari [154 posts]
4th June 2014 - 15:25

5 Likes

Sustransoftie wrote:
OK, so we've all come to the agreement that the driver is a first class tw@t and the law is useless, so what are we all going to do about it?

Ah, yes... Sweet FA! Applause

Stay safe out there. Wink

I was a member of LCC and am a member of CTC, 38 Degrees and Avaaz also cover cycling and I chip in and actively support these, I've signed umpteen petitions and have attended a large protest ride around parliament and will probably attend other protest rides. I've contacted various politicians.

These things are really easy to do these days, if you can come on to a forum like this and complain then you can fill a text box and email your MP. If you can spend £150 on a bike helmet that does naff all then you can throw a few quid in the direction of those campaigning to improve cyclists lot.

WriteToThem(your mp)
38 Degrees | people. power. change.
Avaaz - The World in Action
CTC : The national cycling charity
London Cycling Campaign

38 Degrees and Avaaz have millions of members, that carries weight.

posted by kie7077 [470 posts]
4th June 2014 - 15:26

12 Likes

That's the right attitude but it's hard to resist the desire to get back at this guy, he could have killed that rider and should be made a huge example of. Utter t##t.

posted by slainegwalchmai [3 posts]
4th June 2014 - 17:10

8 Likes

kie7077 wrote:
38 Degrees and Avaaz have millions of members, that carries weight.

Really? Be honest now, what has changed thanks to online petitions? Sod all. The likes of CTC and BC have lots of paying real-world members yet they still struggle to be heard! In my experience MPs, councillors and sometimes even the police are not interested in cyclists' experiences.

One real change I sense nowadays is that more and more people have had enough of the abuse and deliberate or negligent dangerous driving. So what can they do when no-one listens?

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [1963 posts]
4th June 2014 - 19:36

6 Likes

OldRidgeback wrote:
colinth wrote:
Huw Watkins wrote:
SteppenHerring wrote:

Even if it is, an internet jihad is hardly going to make the cycling community look better.

Hardly jihad

Actions have consequences and if he's hit it in the pocket a little, then what's wrong with that?

His twitter and fb pages have been taken down which would suggest it's him, otherwise surely you'd leave them up with a denial ?

Hopefully it'll cost him some clients and some more cash, knob

I checked as soon as I saw this and the FB link still works.

This is what I get:

This content is currently unavailable
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
Sign up for Facebook

Argon18 E-112 - Scott Spark 910 - Boardman Team Carbon - Planet X XLS

posted by colinth [187 posts]
4th June 2014 - 20:54

8 Likes

Simon E wrote:
kie7077 wrote:
38 Degrees and Avaaz have millions of members, that carries weight.

Really? Be honest now, what has changed thanks to online petitions? Sod all. The likes of CTC and BC have lots of paying real-world members yet they still struggle to be heard! In my experience MPs, councillors and sometimes even the police are not interested in cyclists' experiences.

One real change I sense nowadays is that more and more people have had enough of the abuse and deliberate or negligent dangerous driving. So what can they do when no-one listens?

Avaaz isn't cycling oriented but it does have 36 million members worldwide and I get the impression they have made a big difference on a lot of occasions. 38 Degrees is UK based and has 850,000 members and again, I think their campaigns are effective, kind of hard to ignore 100,000 people writing to you about something.

I think if cyclists keep on about the issues, things will change, it makes financial sense for politicians to do something about cycling for multiple reasons. Petitions may be at the less useful end of the scale, contacting your MP is better, contacting a cabinet minister makes more sense, there are also organisations like TFL etc to lobby.

If you think nothing will get done and so do nothing, well that's a self-fulfilling prophecy right there. If CTC and LCC are not working then they need more members and they perhaps need to be more effective at getting their members involved.

posted by kie7077 [470 posts]
4th June 2014 - 22:23

1 Like

Its seems to me that the Establishment has it in for cyclists, whom they probably view as some do-gooder activists.

The effort put in by the State to stopping cyclists riding on pavements, ignoring stop signs and red lights, or discouraging them from thinking they have any rights on the road is staggering.

Any driver who deliberately collides with a pedestrian, cyclist or any other road user ought to be charged with dangerous driving at the very least. If anyone is injured because of the offence then the perpetrators ought to be charged with anything from malicious wounding, to attempted murder. The range of offences is huge and there is no satisfactory reason why the CPS should not make the effort in prosecute to the fullest extent because there is no doubt, it is in the public interest.

Finally, anyone who leaves the scene of an accident is, by definition, aggravating any offence they may have committed. The driver may have been drunk, or otherwise intoxicated. He may have been involved in some other illegal activity. He maybe even thought he was above the law. So he evades the authorities to avoid more serious trouble. Apart from cowardice and deceit, why would someone leave the scene of an accident? Whatever really motivated the offender to leave is irrelevant, we cannot believe him whatever he says, but leave he did and for that he should have been jailed.

If I was at the CPS I would have pushed to have the offence heard at Crown Court, as I understand the Magistrates Court cannot sentence to more than 2 years in prison per offence and given the seriousness surely a higher sentence should have been sought. Considering he pleaded not guilty I would have given him at least 3 years in prison, banned him from driving for 10 years and ordered him to re-sit his test. And I'm rather a liberal when it comes to punishment.

posted by BigBear63 [69 posts]
5th June 2014 - 1:36

9 Likes

Rupert wrote:
Huw are you sure you have the right man there we don't want this to get nasty !

He's gone to court and be found guilty and will have to pay his dues. Even if you think those dues aren't good enough, there is no need for cyber vigilantism.

Lets count backwards to 10 in are heads and take the higher road and not act like a lot of angry petrol heads do. Wave


[[[[[ You are talking horsecrap. And what's "backwards to ten"? Are you drunk?

PhilRuss

posted by PhilRuss [282 posts]
5th June 2014 - 3:22

7 Likes

jmaccelari wrote:
The law has dealt with him. If you don't like how it did it, then change the law by taking some time to agitate for tougher sentences for this sort of behaviour.

This sort of internet bullying is similar behaviour* to a person riding a cyclist off the road with a car - and I presume no one here would like that.

*Yeah - before you start nit-picking and go whining on about lethality and so on, it's still bullying. The weapon used is different, not the attitude of the person wielding it.

The CTC has spent a lot of time and effort asking for better sentencing, with no visible result whatever, so at some point proper anger is almost inevutable.

And no, I don't think naming some murderous tosser on the internet is anything at all similar to driving a car at someone. Pointing out that a car is a lethal weapon is hardly 'whining'.

posted by oldstrath [146 posts]
5th June 2014 - 6:39

5 Likes