Russell Brand's answer to driver-cyclist aggro: a big hug!

Comedian intervenes to defuse street confrontation

by John Stevenson   May 15, 2014  

Russell Brand hugs a cyclist (pic @Joe Stas)

How do you stop a disagreement between a driver and a cyclist from turning ugly? If you’re comedian Russell Brand you jump out of your own car and give the bike rider a big hug.

That’s how the sometimes-controversial TV personality reacted when he encountered a full and frank exchange of views developing between a van driver and bike rider in London’s Tottenham Court Road last week.

 

 

After the van almost collided with the rider a heated argument began to develop until Brand got out of his Mercedes to intervene.

Witness Joe Stas, who tweeted pictures of the incident, told the Evening Standard’s Alexandra Rucki: “I was working and could hear an argument taking place outside.

 

 

“By the time I got outside the argument between a cyclist and a van driver was getting heated, the traffic had stopped, then Russell gets out of his car and approached the guy on the bike and gives him a hug. The cyclist then smiled and laughed and cycled off.”

Brand subsequently retweeted Joe’s pic of the hug with the hashtag #allyouneedislove. Regular London cyclists might well want to add “and #space4cycling.”

21 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Only a hug from Kylie would work for me .... each to their own I suppose !

Timsen

posted by Timsen [40 posts]
15th May 2014 - 13:51

36 Likes

Applause

posted by pmr [169 posts]
15th May 2014 - 14:13

13 Likes

Nice.

posted by gummo [17 posts]
15th May 2014 - 15:03

10 Likes

A punch in the face to the van driver would have been equally welcome.

posted by eurotrash [77 posts]
15th May 2014 - 15:42

23 Likes

I used to hate the very sight of Russell Brand, and it was nothing to do with the fact that he got to shag Katy Perry, I swear! Nerd

Anyway, he has gone up in my estimation of late.

'It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning' (Henry Ford)

cyclingDMlondon's picture

posted by cyclingDMlondon [223 posts]
15th May 2014 - 15:56

20 Likes

If that bat-faced, self-obsessed 'dandy' stopped his car and interfered in my row to give me a hug I couldn't guarantee my forehead wouldn't come into contact with the bridge of his nose as we embraced.

posted by darrenleroy [50 posts]
15th May 2014 - 17:33

18 Likes

darrenleroy wrote:
If that bat-faced, self-obsessed 'dandy' stopped his car and interfered in my row to give me a hug I couldn't guarantee my forehead wouldn't come into contact with the bridge of his nose as we embraced.

I think I would've decked him as well

posted by TheSpaniard [53 posts]
15th May 2014 - 19:17

15 Likes

Quote:
"If that bat-faced, self-obsessed 'dandy' stopped his car and interfered in my row to give me a hug I couldn't guarantee my forehead wouldn't come into contact with the bridge of his nose as we embraced."

Charming.....

posted by snifter83 [12 posts]
15th May 2014 - 19:26

15 Likes

He's much more likeable these days, we could all learn something from this situation.

Canyon Roadlite Centaur/ Veloce groupset, Shamal wheels

Miles253's picture

posted by Miles253 [202 posts]
15th May 2014 - 22:48

6 Likes

cyclingDMlondon wrote:
I used to hate the very sight of Russell Brand, and it was nothing to do with the fact that he got to shag Katy Perry, I swear! Nerd

Anyway, he has gone up in my estimation of late.


Did you opinion go up or down after he won Eurovision?

posted by SteppenHerring [202 posts]
15th May 2014 - 23:47

30 Likes

Miles253 wrote:
He's much more likeable these days, we could all learn something from this situation.

Yeah, whatever!

gb901's picture

posted by gb901 [153 posts]
15th May 2014 - 23:56

9 Likes

eurotrash wrote:
A punch in the face to the van driver would have been equally welcome.

I have thought about your comment, and can, officially declare, what you say is utterly, completely wrong. Bagsy no return.

posted by brackley88 [72 posts]
16th May 2014 - 7:48

16 Likes

This should become a major part of new London cycle safety and general driver and cyclist 'share the road' campaigns. We should plan for a London wide roll out of Russell Brands across all major junctions. They would act to remind drivers to be careful, for cyclists to watch out and be thoughtful, and for everyone to love everyone.

On that basis I think we should have launch a Kickstarter fund to get the money to work with the Wellcome Trust to start a large scale, accelerated cloning programme of Russell Brand; if anyone dares handle his DNA. Hands up if you can chip in a fiver.

posted by brackley88 [72 posts]
16th May 2014 - 7:54

17 Likes

SteppenHerring wrote:
cyclingDMlondon wrote:
I used to hate the very sight of Russell Brand, and it was nothing to do with the fact that he got to shag Katy Perry, I swear! Nerd

Anyway, he has gone up in my estimation of late.


Did you opinion go up or down after he won Eurovision?

Lovely....

Silly me. You're probably right....

MercuryOne's picture

posted by MercuryOne [1059 posts]
16th May 2014 - 7:59

9 Likes

brackley88 wrote:
This should become a major part of new London cycle safety and general driver and cyclist 'share the road' campaigns. We should plan for a London wide roll out of Russell Brands across all major junctions. They would act to remind drivers to be careful, for cyclists to watch out and be thoughtful, and for everyone to love everyone.

On that basis I think we should have launch a Kickstarter fund to get the money to work with the Wellcome Trust to start a large scale, accelerated cloning programme of Russell Brand; if anyone dares handle his DNA. Hands up if you can chip in a fiver.

I think there's plenty of young women who have handled his DNA...

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3193 posts]
16th May 2014 - 9:18

8 Likes

Love the idea, I'd like to see an angry white van man react to a good cuddle.

Though, as someone with a quite severe OCD in relation to "other peoples germs" - I'd rather maybe just give them a flower or something.

Merlin Cycles women's race team ~ http://www.merlincycles.com
Manx nerd peddler ~ http://mooleur.blogspot.com

mooleur's picture

posted by mooleur [542 posts]
16th May 2014 - 9:25

11 Likes

The lad on the bike is hardly a slightly built mountain goat roadie and he was in full on rowing mode when Brand decided to go over and chill things out.

He's also been in some pretty suspect situations due to his former drug use. Well, you hardly pick up class 'A' drugs from the local WI bake sale now do you?

I think it's fair to say that Brand has got some balls on him.

But some keyboard warriors reckon they'd leather him if he got involved?

Insert some sort of roll eyes type emoticon here if you so wish.

posted by farrell [1451 posts]
16th May 2014 - 9:52

19 Likes

notfastenough wrote:
brackley88 wrote:
This should become a major part of new London cycle safety and general driver and cyclist 'share the road' campaigns. We should plan for a London wide roll out of Russell Brands across all major junctions. They would act to remind drivers to be careful, for cyclists to watch out and be thoughtful, and for everyone to love everyone.

On that basis I think we should have launch a Kickstarter fund to get the money to work with the Wellcome Trust to start a large scale, accelerated cloning programme of Russell Brand; if anyone dares handle his DNA. Hands up if you can chip in a fiver.

I think there's plenty of young women who have handled his DNA...

Ba-boom...wahey!

posted by jellysticks [80 posts]
16th May 2014 - 10:35

7 Likes

I'd tell him to mind is own business and push him away.

If the guy driving a car makes a deliberate or wanton move to injure me (and I am forgiving of those who make a genuine mistake, for me a row requires an escalation by the driver), and I'm giving him a piece of my mind, a hug is not likely to placate me.

Nor indeed should it.

The driver needs to understand that his vehicle can cause serious injury to other people on the road. Riders getting Fisty are just about the only way there is reciprocity of that.

Don't get in the way or you might just getting indirectly "reciprossed". You wouldn't like that. Even if your name is Russell Brand.

posted by eschelar [37 posts]
17th May 2014 - 6:07

5 Likes

So the answer to road rage is to have friendly celebs posted at every major junction, a male and female at each. It'll also supplement their income, as long as they receive additional funding from somewhere.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2203 posts]
17th May 2014 - 22:36

4 Likes

whether you love or hate Mr Brand, at least he did SOMETHING, rather than just sit in his Merc. tutting to himself. It seems to have worked too. The cyclist probably thought that if he didn't calm down quick then Russel may give him another hug.

rog

posted by rogie40 [27 posts]
19th May 2014 - 20:14

1 Like